IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Garden Photos of my current place

Daryl

Hi Everyone, I've put together a collection of some photos from my garden taken over the last few months. Click on the following link to go to my web page. It is hosted elsewhere and may go 'over-limit' but give it a try.

regards,

Daryl.

Daryl's Garden in 2006

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Hi Daryl

How was the big smoke ?

I love this shot the best, it really typifies the wonder of your garden. You should be proud, and ready to do it again ?

rainy2.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Daryl,

Do I understand correctly? Are you moving, and if so, will you be remaining on the Gold Coast?

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Wal, The big smoke was ...well...you know..the big smoke! Glad to be back home! 2 days down in the cold was enough for me.

I like that photo too..I was trying to capture the rain in the photo to give it a little extra character!

Phil, yes I am moving...if all goes to plan about 10 minutes south of my present location. Mortgage reduction strategy...and time to start on palm garden number 5...hopefully the last one!

regards,

Daryl.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I should add..the place will be on the market soon...1 Hectare of useable, frost free land with a creek,  Pigafettas and many other rare palms and a 35 Sq house is even included in the deal!

Daryl.

Nice picture's, I don't understand why your moving, this garden is perfect :D

Southwest

Hey Daryl

Apart from moving some smaller palms, another thing that comes to mind re: your move is plumeria cuttings. Mmmm....

I've used that pic above as my current desktop background by the way. I love it. Beats all those OS ones too I reckon.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Daryl, I can't believe   you'd leave that lovely hunk of paradise to start all over again.  The reduction in mortage must be really major to leave.  I don't think I could do it and start all over.  I"m to "damm old" to start again.

Wai`anae STeve

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Hi Daryl,

Aren't you attached to those things?  How have you coped with leaving them behind?

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I don't really WANT to leave my little slice of paradise...but don't have much of a choice really. I will try to take some of my smaller plants, but obviously there is a lot of stuff that is too large or difficult to move. That is the hard part, especially as some of them can't be replaced or will take 10 years to get to the same size. Also I have put in 10 years of hard slog to build the walls, paths etc. 90% of the palms in my garden were grown by seed by me, so  they are my babies. Last but not least it is hard to leave an unfinished project..this place has so much potential to become a great garden. I just don't have the money to finish it within the next 20 years ( and finally came to that realisation)  :(  Survival comes first unfortunately.

Daryl.

Daryl,

I feel your dissapointment.  I asked about how you have coped with this situations since a similar one is confronting me.  Unfortunately, I will have to leave some of my babies behind sooner than later.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Wow, I could never leave that.  Most of the gardens I have left behind did not have anywhere near as much love and sweat in them as I can tell yours does.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Here's a question for both Daryl and Ray that I know the others would find of interest.

How many pots of palms do you both have approximately ? Obviously these are already mobile and will likely go with you.

Care to list what some of them are ?

What cuttings if any would you consider taking ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Well Wal, I probably have about 200 or so palms in pots still. I would add to that of course with my smaller planted palms which would go into 12" pots. Then there are some of my larger palms which are still movable and would squeeze into 200 litre bags. The really large ones would stay, but I can't part with some of them, such as my Dypsis sp 215 or Lemuro etc. I have to try and minimise my loss somehow! I also intend on 'pruning' my Cordylines, Broms and all other plants to get some cuttings/suckers to start again with. Obviously I have to be careful not to 'butcher' my garden, but a few cuttings here and there will make no difference. Of course, just about all of my plumeria collection will move too.

One palm I'd like to move is Borassus aethiopum..I have two in the ground that are doing quite OK. I've heard these are very hard to move, but know of no others growing in Oz, so would like to keep them. Any tips on these?

Daryl.

One good thing about the move...

The land I am looking at buying is warmer than my current garden. Tonight is very clear and still. It was down to 10C (50F) when I got home at 10pm. The property I'm looking at was 15C (60F) only a few minutes earlier. Now that has to be worth something!

:)

Daryl.

5 big ones means everything for some species.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Oh sorry to hear that news daryl.

No way you can sub divide and chop her in half?

Sunshine Coast

Queensland

Australia

Subtropical climate

By the way Daryl or Wal.

Any of you guys ever seen here in oz what is being commonly sold as Dypsis tsaravoasira, any individuals showing any orange like the "orange crush's"

I have yet to see any here in Q.L.D that have any orange colour i haven't seen many only a handful but they are always all green,trunk,crownshaft?

I saw two more yesterday  at a nursery at hervey bay, just developed some trunk still in pots that they had escaped and not for sale and both were also green.

Sunshine Coast

Queensland

Australia

Subtropical climate

Sebastian, Yes I had decided subdividing, but the creek that winds right through the middle of the property makes it too difficult unfortunately.

I have never seen an orange Tsaravoasira here, only the green ones.

regards,

Daryl.

You only get orange D.tsaravoasira in Hawaii where every palm crownshaft is either orange, purple or red.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Wal @ Jun. 27 2006,07:44)

Here's a question for both Daryl and Ray that I know the others would find of interest.

How many pots of palms do you both have approximately ? Obviously these are already mobile and will likely go with you.

Care to list what some of them are ?

What cuttings if any would you consider taking ?

Still waiting to hear from Rayzor.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Daryl @ Jun. 27 2006,08:25)

Well Wal, I probably have about 200 or so palms in pots still.

I'd never want to leave my place unless it was to move to QLD. I've invested too much love into my rainforest. But 200 pots. I have a problem where my nursery "instincts" have overcome reason and I have probably 6000 potted plants and seedlings just everywhere. Not are all that rare or valuable, but a lot are, and my garden is more nursery now than I originally intended.

Daryl, I believe you'll make a fantastic new garden at your new warmer location, but "parting is such sweet sorrow".

best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Hi Tyrone, yeah I used to have thousands of potted palms years ago, but the time it took to really look after them, repot, water etc was more than I could do in my spare time. Water was a killer. I guess like most of us I dreamed of setting up a palm nursery at some stage. I got over all that and have been trying for so long to have NO potted palms...when will that EVER happen..LOL!

Daryl.

I had no potted palms for about a month once. I still don't have many currently though, about 30 or 40 I think.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Daryl @ Jun. 29 2006,18:49)

I guess like most of us I dreamed of setting up a palm nursery at some stage.

Daryl, that is so true. It's hard to find a palm addict who would not like to run his own palm nursery. We all want to earn money doing what we enjoy.

As for the bad news, look at the bright side: the place is warmer plus it's always so challenging to create a new garden from scratch (even if you do it the sixth, seventh time in a row ;-)

Cheers, Jan

• 5 months later...

(Daryl @ Jun. 26 2006,09:12)

I don't really WANT to leave my little slice of paradise...but don't have much of a choice really. I will try to take some of my smaller plants, but obviously there is a lot of stuff that is too large or difficult to move. That is the hard part, especially as some of them can't be replaced or will take 10 years to get to the same size. Also I have put in 10 years of hard slog to build the walls, paths etc. 90% of the palms in my garden were grown by seed by me, so  they are my babies. Last but not least it is hard to leave an unfinished project..this place has so much potential to become a great garden. I just don't have the money to finish it within the next 20 years ( and finally came to that realisation)  :(  Survival comes first unfortunately.

Daryl.

Oh, yeah, the Mortgage Gremlins.

Yes, yes yes.

Almost lost my dive, thank heaven for mortgage fever . ..

d

ave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Darryl,

I saw that this post was ressurrected from some months back even before I was a registered member, did you move to your new place?  Do you know whats become of your beautiful garden that you had?

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

He's still there....over to you big fella.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Yeah, still here and really having second thoughts about leaving. I have a couple of other options to consider. So many decisions!

In the meantime I am enjoying the results of my efforts, only down side is trying to keep things watered lately..bring on some rain!

Daryl.

It is hard to start over. We had to, a few times and it is getting harder every time. When we moved from Brisbane to Gove, we had to leave everything behind... admitedly, we were not into tropical plants as much as we are now.... but still hard nonetheless. Leaving my orchids and nepenthes were the hardest....

And then moving from Gove to Darwin... another hard move. We had to leave palms behind, but managed to take just about everything else. Although lost most of my precious broms, anthurium... anything that was sensitive to heat.

Just about to start over again now... Planting like crazy on our 5 acres.... Hopefully we will stay put for the next few years... I just want to see my trees and palms grow.

It is hard to downsize and I know you will regret it... Hold on to it, if you can...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I myself am contemplating a move soon.  Though is bothers more to leave the palms behind then the view or the house, I find comfort in knowing that years after I am gone, the new owner will have palms they have never even dreamed of....

On the bay in Tampa...

10a,9b...

Elev.  10 ft

My current weather station....

daryl

sorry to hear you have to leave your wonderful garden behind.your website was one of the first i found years ago when i was just getting into palms so i feel like we're old friends,even though we've never met.

on the upside i'm looking forwad to your new adventure.

best wishes :)

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I'm dreading moving...although I know I'll be doing it probably within a year or so.... I'm hoping that I can buy some property  and start bringing my palms down a little at a time - but then there's no one to take care of them while I'm away...ugghh

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

My wife and I are looking at moving to the big island within the year. I will gladly leave my palms to neighbors for the chance to start a new garden.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

When I move (and I am in about 5 years or so), I will worry that the new owners will plow most of the palms down. This is another reason why taking photos of all your beauties along the way is so very important.

Daz, if you stay, I will glady help you with the labour tasks, soil/rock intergrating in the many spots you still have for planting etc. Back to the original plan perhaps, at the "Dazzle B&B".

Let newcal's bro Andy know I will help him when he's ready to plant as well. Speaking of palms (funnily enough), have you picked up the orange crownshafts yet from Nambour ? I forgot the new name already, tony puletua or something.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Glad to hear you might not have to move, I would have a terrible time leaving those plants behind especially with all the time and hard work I know you've spent unless I knew for sure that they were going to be left in good hands and would not be removed or worse yet neglected just to die a ugly death.  I guess it's just a sign of the disease when you start to become protective of your palms like they're part of the family

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Hi Daryl, I think i would find it very hard to move,make that impossible, so to make the move a little easier for you, there are a few little moving out or in christmas presents, just call in and pick them up when you are up here next, 1 new form lemuriophoenix very rare!, one D.marojejyi "mad foxtail" and if i can find one of the orange crown shaft dypsis sp tsaravoasira.happy christmas. Clayton and teresa.this might make the move a little easer!!

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

Daryl, it's good to hear that you may still have other options.  I know how gutted I am when I just lose one palm, so leaving so many after so long would be very difficult.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Thanks for your comments and words of advice/encouragement everyone!

I feel like I am standing in the middle of a 100 metre long rope suspension bridge, like Indiana Jones, and the rope is breaking..which way do I go..LOL!

Clayton and Teresa, many thanks for your offer! Merry xmas to you too!

I will keep everyone posted as to the final outcome...

regards,

Daryl

I feel like I am standing in the middle of a 100 metre long rope suspension bridge, like Indiana Jones, and the rope is breaking..which way do I go..LOL!

Raiders of the lost Arc.......hontophoenix  :D

Indiana Jones and the temple of Dypsis  :laugh:

I thought you liked snakes  ???

I'm struggling with this one........see ya  :P

ps: I forgot about that great photo here Daryl for the photo comp, post 2, I would have nominated it for sure.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.