IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Kentiopsis oliviformis

Phil

Is kentiopsis oliviformis really that slow after germinating?

Mine germinated and one month after that it has roots only 1 cm long...is that normal?

Edited by Pivi

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

Is kentiopsis oliviformis really that slow after germinating?

Mine germinated and one month after that it has roots only 1 cm long...is that normal?

There slow there whole life like most New Caledonia Palms .

yes but... in two weeks chambeyronia macrocarpa roots grew 10 cm while in one moth kentiopsis roots grew 1 cm.

anyone, your experiences with just germinated kentiopsis oliviformis seeds.

I'd like to hear more germination experiences also. I bought 100 seeds from RPS back in Dec. Over 4months later not a single one has germinated. $75 down the drain.

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

After reading all these nice comments about Kentiopsis oliviformis, I looked it up in 'An Encyclopedia of Cultivated Palms', and see that it grows under 1,000 feet in New Caledonia, while two other species, K. magnifica and K. piersoniorum grow at higher elevations (1-2,000', and 1-3,000'), suggesting they'd be even more cold hardy. Are they grown much, and has anybody found this to be the case?

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

I'd like to hear more germination experiences also. I bought 100 seeds from RPS back in Dec. Over 4months later not a single one has germinated. $75 down the drain.

I got ten from RPS several years ago. I think 4 or 5 germinated. I potted up three, and squirrels ate two of them. The last one is starting to finally fill out a one gallon pot. I used the bag method and kept the peat only slightly damp, and warm.

Jason

Skell's Bells

Inland Central Florida, 28N, 81W. Humid-subtropical climate with occasional frosts and freezes. Zone 9b.

Jason, how long did it take them to germinate and did they germinate all together or there was some time between germiantions?

Dick,

Very true.  Do you know anyone around the bay area who has tried K. oliviformis?  I'm trying three small Cyphophoenix elegans, and so far, they are doing great despite the cooler-than-usual winter and bursts of heavy rain.

Jason

This palm has been on my radar but I havent tried one over here yet. Jim in Los Altos may have some....seems like Ive heard him mention them...Jim?

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

This palm has been on my radar but I havent tried one over here yet. Jim in Los Altos may have some....seems like Ive heard him mention them...Jim?

I may need to try it. The one factor that makes it a bit more challenging is that I think it gets pretty tall (though it may take decades to do that). I worry that it cannot be protected and that it will be a hazard when it is inevitably frozen. Cyphophoenix elegans thus far has done well for me, and it will be a LONG time before one of them is over 10 ft. tall. I have three small ones (1g), and, while glacially slow, they looked good all the way through the winter.

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

• 7 years later...

I just received a purchased-from-Spain Kentiopsis oliviformis seedling (about 20 cm tall) and planted it into a bigger container. Does anyone know how many years I have to wait to plant it into the ground? My area is zone 11B (coldest past winter night got down to 7.7C (about 46F?) once, and the hottest it gets is 27C (80F) and usually summer is 18C-25C (high 60s to mid 70s Fa.) but we get high winds that may shred some plants.Outside of summer the most common temps here are teens (50s). Distance from ocean is 2 km. Elevation about 140 m.

Average day temperatures: +17°C in the winter and +24°C in the summer. Typical Summer: 68F to 77F (20C to 25C). Typical Winter: 55F to 64F (12C to 18C). Record Low (past 5 years): 45F or +7.7C (once a winter, some winters). Record High (past 5 years): 83F or +28C (some days only). Elevation 140 m (459 ft.) to 160 m (525 ft.), latitude 38.54º. Sunset Zone: unknown

• 1 year later...

After years of growing it indoors from a liner-sized plant, today I moved my K. oliviformis outdoors. The latest spear leaf on it was bent over from contact with the ceiling.  It's under a patio cover for now to acclimate it to local conditions. Eventually I will move it where it gets some morning sun, but I suspect winter temps in the mid-20 deg.F range in my area of interior northern California will eventually doom it to decline, so I'm hoping for a mild winter this year. :bummed:

Kentiopsis.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 4 months later...

they are slow until they trunk, then they are medium growers.  My 2' seedling is now 12' overall, after 5 1/2 years.  The leaf production/ year is now at 4 after being 1- 2 for several years.   My larger trunking KO are putting out 6-7 leaves a year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

3 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

they are slow until they trunk, then they are medium growers.  My 2' seedling is now 12' overall, after 5 1/2 years.  The leaf production/ year is now at 4 after being 1- 2 for several years.   My larger trunking KO are putting out 6-7 leaves a year.

Thanks Tom

i noticed every new leaf is bigger than the previous ones ...

Also please post some photos of yours if possible ...

Mohsen,  I posted a couple pics in this thread:   http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/55059-kentiospsis-oliviformis-doubles/#comment-826265

Yes the leaves keep getting larger, spears heavier.  they are really pretty "bullet proof" for me almost like beccariophoenix alfredii.  but they do start out slow and really come into their own after trunking..

Tom Blank

On 1/21/2008, 10:57:26, Okie said:

I have several planted within 60 feet of the Indian River in Brevard County, FL.  Not only can it take cold, but more importantly for around here, is salt and wind.

This palm is rock solid and truly "a landscaping beauty"

What Okie said. I'm in Melbourne Beach ( in town ) and mine is on the cusp of trunking and happy as a clam. Fortunately, it was wind sheltered from Hurricane Irma and standing straight and plumb.

Melbourne Beach, Florida on the barrier island -two blocks from the Atlantic Ocean and 6 homes from the Indian River Lagoon

• 3 years later...

Anyone have some updates?

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I read on Palmpedia that this was an "emergent palm" and needs canopy or partial shade when young.  The one at Leu Gardens is in pretty deep shade, at least one that I found last November.  I just bought a decent sized seedling in December.  It's in a 1g pot in my nursery area, and I'd like to figure out a spot for it this year.  In some of the posts it seems like they want shade when young, sort of like Archontophoenix.  But that may be for CA and it might not be critical here in FL?

• Like 1

Mine is in morning sun and afternoon shade. It’s companion is an A.Teracarpa from Junglemusic which will grow faster and serve as some extra protection. 

359A5DDF-015D-4697-874E-C39FFA8C8313.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

These are tough Palms they like water like King Palms and in my experience grow pretty fast you can tell by the growth rings

20210207_103922.jpg

20210207_103940.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

I got two of them out here and they do great! This is my biggest. Just opening another nice large spear. Have it planted under a queen. 

20210207_103956.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Yes, slow early and progress quite rapidly after they hit the trunking stage and as Adam pointed out above the growth rings really show it.  Can handle full sun here on the San Diego Coast.  In the second photo, you can see that at least here in California they tend to hold the fronds very upright (to the left of the D prestoniana).  The other California K. oliviformis I have seen that are trunking show this same characteristic, but I seem to recall habitat photos aren't quite as upright, holding a little more crown.  Like many of the New Caledonia palms, it seems to continue growing right through winter.

20200831-BH3I0929.jpg

20201007-BH3I1262.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 5

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

@Merlyn they’re tough when large, like Archontophoenix but (likewise)!they’re also really fragile when small and I’ve learned this the hard way. 

Protect from dying out and too much sun, until they’re a good 12 to 18” tall.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• Like 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I planted 3 specimen palms(3-5' trunk) out from ken johnson in 2011.  They were already sun hardened and saw all day sun after planting.  I planted out a 3 gallon size in 2010 that was hit with 28F and frost with no overhead.  It was frost burned except the intact spear.  It slowly recovered and grew slowy in a shady spot on the SW side of the house(late day house sun protection some oak over head which has since been removed).  Today that small palm in 1st pic is doing very well and seems to be increasing in leaf output.  Ring spacing doesnt tell the whole story on growth.  These put out about half the leaves as my archontophoenix alexandre with similar spacing, half the growth.  Today the  ones I got from ken are 25'-30' overall, cant see them so well when you are in them.  here are a few shots of the small one(now ~15') and looking at the smallest of the big ones with wide angle lens sideways(!) and up into the canopy for the larger ones(one palm you can only see the trunk on the right side in that pic).  They sure can take 28F better than similarly sized royals, foxtails, foxy ladies, and dypsis pembana.  All of the latter palms were bigger in size and had spear pull.  All by 2/3 pembanas died in that event.  My impressions is they recovered more slowly from near complete foliage burn in 2018 advective event of 30F for 12 hours.  They put out about half the leaves of royals and a. alexandre.  I think small ones need more care with water in sandy soil.  Unlike archontophoenix, they like slightly alkaline soil so I planted the archies in an upper garden bed and the kentiopsis in the lower one.  Archies are way faster as are royals and dypsis pembana.  But the kentiopsis is a very attractive broad leaflet palm that does very well in 9b in my experience.  They are more leaf tender than beccariophoenix alfredii as but tougher than my archies and royals.KentiopsislittleF2021.thumb.jpg.d370b284cfd3d55cb73e877405e2dbf2.jpgKentiopsisF2021n2.thumb.jpg.f79655cea1ae2297b72e4dddb5d47718.jpg   KentiopsisN2F2021.thumb.jpg.a9c2028a926b4f04fec406b1a4409507.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Tom Blank

Here is the trunk base of the largest one with adventidious roots.  Its about 2' across at the bottomadventidiouskentiopsisjpg.thumb.jpg.d87a7bdcee406f948dea5a1087dca461.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Tom Blank

My kentiopsis is still a small seedling (the heel is still a bit visible in the marked place). I'm not very concerned from our winter lows so I wanted to test this palm in the heat. Last summer was very hot with daily temps almost all August at 35-37 celcius and hot nights. Is planted in full sun from about 9am to 6pm. Is between a royal and an archontophoenix but they don't provide any shade yet. I was watering it daily in the summer. It was a bit burnt but not so bad and now in the winter is recovering. I should have given it partial shade till is bigger cause maybe the growth is affected in this heat (it's the first summer in the ground and when it was in the pot under shade it looked better). Still is good to know how is handling the heat.

20210208_202117.jpg

20210208_160157.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 2/8/2021 at 7:20 AM, sonoranfans said:

I planted 3 specimen palms(3-5' trunk) out from ken johnson in 2011.  They were already sun hardened and saw all day sun after planting.  I planted out a 3 gallon size in 2010 that was hit with 28F and frost with no overhead.  It was frost burned except the intact spear.  It slowly recovered and grew slowy in a shady spot on the SW side of the house(late day house sun protection some oak over head which has since been removed).  Today that small palm in 1st pic is doing very well and seems to be increasing in leaf output.  Ring spacing doesnt tell the whole story on growth.  These put out about half the leaves as my archontophoenix alexandre with similar spacing, half the growth.  Today the  ones I got from ken are 25'-30' overall, cant see them so well when you are in them.  here are a few shots of the small one(now ~15') and looking at the smallest of the big ones with wide angle lens sideways(!) and up into the canopy for the larger ones(one palm you can only see the trunk on the right side in that pic).  They sure can take 28F better than similarly sized royals, foxtails, foxy ladies, and dypsis pembana.  All of the latter palms were bigger in size and had spear pull.  All by 2/3 pembanas died in that event.  My impressions is they recovered more slowly from near complete foliage burn in 2018 advective event of 30F for 12 hours.  They put out about half the leaves of royals and a. alexandre.  I think small ones need more care with water in sandy soil.  Unlike archontophoenix, they like slightly alkaline soil so I planted the archies in an upper garden bed and the kentiopsis in the lower one.  Archies are way faster as are royals and dypsis pembana.  But the kentiopsis is a very attractive broad leaflet palm that does very well in 9b in my experience.  They are more leaf tender than beccariophoenix alfredii as but tougher than my archies and royals.KentiopsislittleF2021.thumb.jpg.d370b284cfd3d55cb73e877405e2dbf2.jpgKentiopsisF2021n2.thumb.jpg.f79655cea1ae2297b72e4dddb5d47718.jpg   KentiopsisN2F2021.thumb.jpg.a9c2028a926b4f04fec406b1a4409507.jpg

Thanks for the info! What are you using to increase pH?

Edited by ExperimentalGrower

41 minutes ago, ExperimentalGrower said:

Thanks for the info! What are you using to increase pH?

dolimitic lime goes down with special attention paid to the kentiopsis and my cuban copernicias. 

Tom Blank

27 minutes ago, sonoranfans said:

dolimitic lime goes down with special attention paid to the kentiopsis and my cuban copernicias. 

Very interesting. Regarding Copernicia- by chance does alba and/or prunifera fall into the category of appreciating alkaline soil? 

I wonder if this is perhaps due to them growing in limestone based soils in their native environments.

5 hours ago, ExperimentalGrower said:

Very interesting. Regarding Copernicia- by chance does alba and/or prunifera fall into the category of appreciating alkaline soil? 

I wonder if this is perhaps due to them growing in limestone based soils in their native environments.

I have a blue alba, my understanding is they are not particularly alkaline loving.   Mine does very well without extra dolomite.  

Tom Blank

69028898_10219500165759516_591371951042199552_n.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Melbourne Beach, Florida on the barrier island -two blocks from the Atlantic Ocean and 6 homes from the Indian River Lagoon

23 hours ago, weldertom said:

69028898_10219500165759516_591371951042199552_n.jpg

Cute little sulcata! (Sulcata, right? Haha) I love tortoises and if I end up owning a home where it’s warm enough one day I plan to do just what you’re doing. 

On the matter of KO, I have a 1 gal palm that has just been so miserable for the last year. Such a stubborn little guy. He was in terrible shape when I bought him for a discounted price and had lost all but one frond to a spider mite infestation and a really strong subsequent treatment for them. 

He’s put out 1 frond since then and then basically hit pause. I’ve tried him in 5+ hours of sun and partial shade. Also a looks yellowed no matter what I do... hoping this growing season I see it get a lot happier. 

• Like 1

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

3 hours ago, chad2468emr said:

Cute little sulcata! (Sulcata, right? Haha) I love tortoises and if I end up owning a home where it’s warm enough one day I plan to do just what you’re doing. 

On the matter of KO, I have a 1 gal palm that has just been so miserable for the last year. Such a stubborn little guy. He was in terrible shape when I bought him for a discounted price and had lost all but one frond to a spider mite infestation and a really strong subsequent treatment for them. 

He’s put out 1 frond since then and then basically hit pause. I’ve tried him in 5+ hours of sun and partial shade. Also a looks yellowed no matter what I do... hoping this growing season I see it get a lot happier. 

Might be feeling stressed from the direct sunlight? Maybe give it just dappled shade right now, as they are an “emergent” palm and especially since it’s sounds like yours has had a rough time.

3 hours ago, ExperimentalGrower said:

Might be feeling stressed from the direct sunlight? Maybe give it just dappled shade right now, as they are an “emergent” palm and especially since it’s sounds like yours has had a rough time.

Yeah it’s been in shade since last nov or so. I’d say it’s greened up a bit since then but overall hoping it really settles in more this summer. 

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

• 1 month later...

My KO just put out a new one. It is becoming more impressive year by year.

1139642918_20210403_132435(Medium).thumb.jpg.49b53b942697aa291614212c4e101481.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

26 minutes ago, gtsteve said:

My KO just put out a new one. It is becoming more impressive year by year.

1139642918_20210403_132435(Medium).thumb.jpg.49b53b942697aa291614212c4e101481.jpgLooks beautiful. Has it moved much from the spot you planted it? They seem to have quite a heal.

On 2/12/2021 at 3:19 AM, sonoranfans said:

I have a blue alba, my understanding is they are not particularly alkaline loving.   Mine does very well without extra dolomite.  

My Fallaensis and Macroglossa (probable hybrid per NatureGirl) definitely showed some extra potassium-deficiency yellowing over the winter.  Is that a typical symptom of an alkaline-loving palm unhappy with the local acidic soil?  If so, how much extra dolomitic lime do you add to your Cuban Copernicias?

@ExperimentalGrower, It has not moved at all. I didn't even notice a heal when I planted it or since.

From the top side it comes out quite yellow (which I like), before greening up but it is too hard to get that shot.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.