• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Copernicia alba

tank

In north Florida.

Low of 21 F, 10 hours at freezing temps.

3 days of freezing temps.

No overhead protection.  Little or no frost.

15 mph winds, advective freeze.

No "new" damage.  This plant had a bad case of what I think was leaf skeletonizer.  I believe I took care of that problem and there doesn't appear to be any new damage from the freeze.

This plant is about 5ft OA, with about 1.5 ft of trunk.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I'll try and get a picture up at some point.

My palm is not protected, is under minimal canopy and is not close to a structure.

I do have pictures of a couple C. alba located at Kanapaha Botanical Gardens.  These are located about 5 miles away from my location.  These are established (10ft CT) plants that are not protected and have survived lower temps than mine.  These have been posted before and should be floating around.  Maybe do a search under "alba" or "kanapaha".

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

• 11 months later...

27F and many hours and nights at or below freezing with many mornings with a short period of light frost. Small 1Ft tall three pinnate fronds, no damage.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

• 3 weeks later...

I have two one is exposed and the other has canopy. No problems after two nights at 32f with the 2nd having frost.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

• 11 months later...

I have 3 C alba about 3' tall in an unprotected area 11 nights below freezing here in Pensacola Fl. Moderate damage

Paul Gallop

• 1 month later...

Multiple nights below freezing ultimate low of around 20 degrees. Strap leafed seedling in open, most exposed leaves toast but already showing new growth.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

• 2 months later...

Low of 14F. 14 days straight of below freezing temps. 50% overhead protection. ~30 Plants in pots (1gal to 3gal). 70%+ leaf damage. 6 casualties so far. Rest are putting out new growth.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

• 3 years later...

Here's a report on the Dec 2013 freeze. Copernicia alba really hardens off well in dry California weather, seems much hardier than when grown in humid Florida conditions. No overhead protection, fully exposed specimen.

Strong radiational freeze, my garden is on a hillside, lower garden got nailed pretty hard by cold drainage and wind protection. 5 nights below freezing for 9 hours or less per night, worst night was 26.6F, see data and graphs below for details.

Copernicia alba showing not a trace of damage. Note that a potted parajubaea sunkha 2 feet away got significant frost damage (probably not hardened off.)

Dec 4/5: 57.4F high, below 32F at 11.17PM steady decline to 26.6F at 7:30AM with a dewpoint of 16F. above freezing 8:47AM

Dec 5/6: 57.4F high, below 32F at 11:30PM steady decline to 29.8F from 4:30AM to 7AM, above freezing 8:30AM

Dec 6/7: 55.9F high, 50F overnight with 1 inch of rain

Dec 7/8: 53.1F high, below 32F at 11:30PM, steady decline to 28.6F, above freezing by 8:45AM

Dec 8/9: 55.9F high, below 32F at 11:30PM, steady decline to 28.6F, above freezing by 5:30AM

Dec 9/10, 60.8F high, below 32F at 6:30AM, down to 30.9F above freezing by 8:00AM

All temps available on Wunderground.

Grown from seed, apx 4 years old. Low of 25F last year, many many nights below freezing, and many mornings with frost, completely exposed, no damage. Strong grower for me

20131218_142251_zpsr8srrgn1.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

• 8 months later...

3 palms ....two with 3 ft. of trunk, 1 with almost 20 ft. of trunk. This last winter we had an advective freeze with strong winds. The ultimate low was 20 degrees Fahrenheit. It stayed below freezing for about 30 hrs. although not at 20 degrees. This was the first Polar Vortex.

A couple of weeks later we received another blast of cold, this time it was accompanied by freezing rain. The ultimate low was in the mid 20's and the freeze lasted almost two days.

Two of the three Copernicia died despite all efforts to save them. One barely clings to life several months later. The only other large palms that died were two twenty foot Queens. I would rank these palms about the same.....neither are true 9a palms.post-97-0-58068300-1409429449_thumb.jpg

palm # 1post-97-0-66435000-1409429536_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-39316300-1409429582_thumb.jpg

palm#2post-97-0-62533500-1409429693_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-36116700-1409429724_thumb.jpg

palm#3

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

3 palms ....two with 3 ft. of trunk, 1 with almost 20 ft. of trunk. This last winter we had an advective freeze with strong winds. The ultimate low was 20 degrees Fahrenheit. It stayed below freezing for about 30 hrs. although not at 20 degrees. This was the first Polar Vortex.

A couple of weeks later we received another blast of cold, this time it was accompanied by freezing rain. The ultimate low was in the mid 20's and the freeze lasted almost two days.

Two of the three Copernicia died despite all efforts to save them. One barely clings to life several months later. The only other large palms that died were two twenty foot Queens. I would rank these palms about the same.....neither are true 9a palms.attachicon.gif20140823_122601.jpgattachicon.gif20140823_122601.jpg

palm # 1attachicon.gif20140830_122124.jpgattachicon.gif20140830_122530.jpg

palm#2attachicon.gif20140830_151335.jpgattachicon.gif20140830_151340.jpg

palm#3

3 - 2 year seedlings, same weather as David. One died outright. Second appeared to be coming back, then died. Third one appears very healthy, but only 1 frond. Doubtful it will survive another winter, even normal 9a winter, much less a cold one.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I beg to differ with David's assessment of the hardiness of Copernicia alba. These are definitely hardier than queens. My own experience at my garden up in Natchez, Mississippi is very different. And the winter was far colder (in length of intensity, not really in the absolute low, which was 18f). I planted a 1gal a few years ago and though it defoliates in the very low 20s, it comes roaring back. Getting a little size on it and the bud is above ground with quite a few leaves after last winter, so Keith's experience also seems odd to me. I am certainly thinking that David's experience is due to planting large specimens. Always dangerous from my perspective. I believe in planting small plants and letting them develop from there. But then again genetics varies from plant to plant and I may just have been lucky. Needless to say these will all die along the Gulf in an '89-style event, where temps will be 10f or lower. That's why I stick mostly with clumpers up in my Mississippi garden. Long term these are for Tampa-Orlando and south.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Several C. albas here in Gainesville Fl have seen worst winters and survived. May have had to do with the bad luck of having relatively recently planted trees from south Florida and one of the worst freezes your area has seen in a while.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I might try some free ones.... if anyone is willing to donate some...lol

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil