IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

tall Caryota ochlandra

Eric in Orlando

This Caryota ochlandra is appx. 50ft tall now. It was planted in Sept. 1996 from a 3 gal. pot.  The surrounding vegetation in the photos are closer than the palm is and look taller than they are. I had to use the zoom to get the palm, The last photo is looking up the big trunk. I imagine in the coming year it will begin to flower or get struck by lightining or both. We had a Caryota sp. "Himalayan" that was close by that got to 30ft and got killed by a lightning strike.

img_0451.jpg

img_0452.jpg

img_0454.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Wow! That's a massive Caryota!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Nice. Hope it blooms before getting zapped...

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Very nice specimen...  The crown is very lacey and delicate!  I'm sure a little breeze just makes it a stunning sight!  Thanks Eric!  You guys have really cool stuff! Where in Orlando is this located?  Next time I'm up north I wanna check it out...

(PiousPalms @ Jan. 10 2008,16:18)

Very nice specimen...  The crown is very lacey and delicate!  I'm sure a little breeze just makes it a stunning sight!  Thanks Eric!  You guys have really cool stuff! Where in Orlando is this located?  Next time I'm up north I wanna check it out...

William, this is at Leu Gardens, easy to get to. LG is just north of downtown very close to Loch Haven Park, 1920 N. Forest Ave. Come by sometime and I will show you around.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 11 months later...

Dear Eric :)

thanks for the link to this thread,i had missed it the first time...

i have not seen any caryota that tall...WOW !

lots of love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif