IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Macrozamia sp Enneaba

Tyrone

About a year ago I travelled up to Exmouth in the tropics on the west coast of Australia. On the way back home we stopped in about 200km north of Perth at this stand of Macrozamia sp Enneaba.

There are three species of Macrozamia in Western Australia. Macrozamia reidlii from around Perth down to Albany on the southern coast line, Macrozamia dyeri from Esperance to Israelite Bay on the south coast, and this undescribed species which reportedly exists from Perth's northern suburbs to around Enneaba south of Geraldton. Some consider it to be Macrozamia fraseri, which is a name applied to the western Macrozamia by some. I'm of the opinion this is a different species with a bigger trunk and seeds than reidlii and a much neater crown, very reminiscent of a thick trunked Phoenix.

Here are some pics.

P6140570.jpg

P6140572.jpg

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

P6140575.jpg

P6140574.jpg

More pics

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

P6140577.jpg

P6140578.jpg

View of landscape

P6140581.jpg

seedling

I hope the cycad lovers amongst us enjoyed these pics.

regards

Tyrone

Oh yeah, very nice Tyrone. Thank you

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Tyrone,

Very impressive,

I think thats the only time I've seen cycads as the emergent plant of a habitat.

Looks as though the habita hasn't burnt for a long while,  are fires common in this area?

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Very nice Tyrone!! Thanks for posting these great shots!!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Tyrone,

For me, I appreciate the pics. I always enjoy looking at pictures of palms and cycads when taken in habitat. It looks like a harsh and dry enviroment there.Thanks,

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Glad these pics were enjoyed.

Bruce, this area gets burnt every few years. It may not have been burnt for maybe 5 or 6 years in this area.

I've studied where these cycads like to grow on the trips up north and they don't just grow anywhere. They grow in what are the gullies and drains and soaks of the landscape. Areas that maybe were moist for some time then dry out. This area is near the main road north, and when your driving it, you come off of a higher sort of ground and round a giant S bend in the road. As you descend through the first part of the S, you look down into the gully forming just a few hundred metres off to the side and then the cycads begin around the gully, looking like someone has planted the odd few miniature date palms. When you reach the bottom at the middle of the S bend there are lots of them and they seem bigger. There is a temporary camping picnic area here, and that's where I went for a walk and took the pics. Right through the picnic area is the dry creek bed that runs through the gully, and there are cycads all around it.

These cycads only fruit every few years and this population I've never seen in fruit over the few years I've been visiting. But they must be regenerating because of the youngsters.

The climate here is the distinct wet moist cool winter, dry hot summer climate. Rainfall maybe 500mm a year mainly in winter, spring. Being around a creek will enhance your chances of getting water though. Summer thunderstorms with locally heavy falls are not uncommon though. Temps would frequently get well over 40C in summer, and winter max's would be around 18,19C on average. Frost would rarely occur in winter. The odd cyclone would dump rain every few years. The thunderstorms that tend to miss Perth all the time in summer would get this area more than Perth.

Best regards

Tyrone

They actually look real good with the skirts on. If only I had a cycad tall enough to  have a hanging skirt, even a mini skirt would be fine :D

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Here are some more pics a bit further north and closer to the ocean. This area was a bit of a soak, and remains moist all year. A work colleague of my wife took these pics. He was taking a holiday on private property near Jurien Bay, and came across these cycads. He took pics and collected seeds thinking they were palms left from Afghan traders back in the 1800's. I let him know what they really were, and he let me have the seeds. I've had one come up 20 months later, but they can take many years to come up.

MacrozamiaspEneabba.jpg

GetAttachment2.jpg

GetAttachment1.jpg

GetAttachment.jpg

seeds

Best regards

Tyrone

• 3 weeks later...

wow Tyrone....NICE pics!

I love to see cycad habitat pics....it helps me understand so much more about the plant when you can see the conditions under which they actually grow in the wild.

Thanks for posting them!

Great pictures Tyrone.  I did not realize that there were cycads that big. Thanks.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Is Exmouth considered tropics, Tyrone? I thought you went as far as Broome... I would suggest you kept on driving east and hit Darwin  :D .

It is amazing the vegetation on that part of the country. Definitely something unique!! Do you know how long it takes them to get that big? and I thought our native cycads are impressive  :;):

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hi,

Cycads are not on the first place from all the exotics, but this habitat picture's are great!

Robbin

Southwest

I'm glad everyone liked the pics. I haven't checked this thread for a while.

Don, there are some big native cycads with trunks growing in front gardens in my area. Macrozamia can get quite large, but only after many years.

Ari, these cycads were only just up the road from me, relatively speaking. Exmouth is technically in the tropics but never actually gets a wet season like Darwin. It's in the arid zone. I have some pics from our trip up there and will post eventually. No cycads though, just drought hardy plants and a very unusual desert loving Brachychiton. The cycads in those pics I reckon are very old. I hazard a guess maybe 200-300 yrs old, but I could be wrong. The biggest ones had maybe 10-12ft of trunk and I didn't see any dead individuals. I don't think there has been much scientific study on the WA Macrozamias. They are very slow growers and take up to a few yrs to come up. I was given some Macrozamia sp Eneabba seed about 18 months ago and only one has come up so far. They put out one leaf a year for many years then slowly increase production. A trunking individual must have put out heaps of leaves in its life.  :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Nice pics Tyrone!! I always like to see all kind of cycads pics!!

How tall is the trunk of this macrozamia???

Regards

Macrozamias   are my  favourite  Cycads  with  SA encephalartos .

Great  pics Tyrone, Thank  you!!

M@x

M@x

North Rome Italy

• 9 years later...

Very nice Macrozamia species, Really looks like a Phoenix sp

Edited by Alberto

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!