IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this the Blue one?

BS Man about Palms

Do you think this is the "mid-grade" blue cycad mentioned on another thread, or more of the "blue" one?

ravan-acantho005.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Its almost like its blue on one side and green on the other.

ravan-acantho004.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hard to tell from the pic but it looks mid to me. The true blue is like a horridus. It does look like the newer leaflets are bluer though. Be interesting to see it after a fresh flush. Excellent cycad I've also heard those plants are too dangerous for owners with small race cars. I'll come and remove that safety hazard for ya, no charge.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

(BS, Man about Palms @ Dec. 29 2007,14:33)

Do you think this is the "mid-grade" blue cycad mentioned on another thread, or more of the "blue" one?

ravan-acantho005.jpg

Where are the weeds?    That planter is suspiciously clean.   :D

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I found some good news over the past year or so....the boxes and 15 gal pots are taller than the weeds, so they can't drop their seeds in as readily...  :D  Or at least I can keep on top of it easier too.

Matt- NO.   :P

Has it always been in full sun or did you just put the in the sun.  They are usually ice blue but being in the shade or green house mite affect it.  You might have to wait till the next set of leafs.

Jeff

Jeff Rood

It was packed in with some other plants in the full sun.  Maybe this would explain the "half and half"?

Bill,

It doesn't look like the "true blue" arenarius,  but then it also doesn't look like a pure arenarius either with the lower leaflets having no spine lobes.  

Could be some sort of cross between arenarius and lehmannii and that is where it is getting it's blueish color.

Nice plant though.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Didn't believe me Bill huh?  :P

Also, that plant was a pup from an original Mardy planting. So it will be what it was.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

(LJG @ Dec. 30 2007,00:37)

Didn't believe me Bill huh?  :P

Just didn't want to.......

• 8 years later...

Pic taken from Deck today..

20161015_155926.thumb.jpg.f182a729349c56

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Pic taken from Deck today

Spectacular weeds Bill.... and the cycad is not bad either.  :P  Sorry I just couldn't resist.  It has a nice color, leaning more to the aqua blue as opposed to a silver blue. 

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

• 8 months later...

I need a close up of the caudex, it looks to be a foot across or more!

1 hour ago, BS Man about Palms said:

I need a close up of the caudex, it looks to be a foot across or more!

Yeah Bill, I'm wondering what the post was about without a photo?  Get busy with a photo of the caudex and a closeup of some leaflets would be good too.  Is it still in the original box or in the ground?

37 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Yeah Bill, I'm wondering what the post was about without a photo?  Get busy with a photo of the caudex and a closeup of some leaflets would be good too.  Is it still in the original box or in the ground?

Well, The photo may come soon... but as to your other question... Both? :) 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

but as to your other question... Both? :) 

You can build up the soil and use some boulders to create a permanent home without ever having to dig it!  I presumed that if it was still "in the box", it is now well down below the level of the box.  Looking forward to the visuals when you get to it!

• Upvote 1

Look! Pictures!!

The closest thing I could find was my small size 9 foot and an old spray paint can for scale.... NO, I did not leave it there.:P

20170710_194936.thumb.jpg.dd1413b9f40739

20170710_195000.thumb.jpg.1a931cc7a394eb

But it DOES look pretty nice!  True blue or not!!

20170710_195034.thumb.jpg.23004b16a146e6

• Upvote 2

On 7/9/2017, 7:40:37, Tracy said:

You can build up the soil and use some boulders to create a permanent home without ever having to dig it!  I presumed that if it was still "in the box", it is now well down below the level of the box.  Looking forward to the visuals when you get to it!

What? no photo comments?

:)

Exquisite photography William. Superb centering of your subject. Your white balance is extraordinary considering the extreme position of the Sun and the delicate blue hues of the Encepholartos. F20? Slightly wide aperture setting? Oh, and the way the subject sat so still for the photo!

• Upvote 2

On 7/12/2017, 9:53:32, BS Man about Palms said:

The closest thing I could find was my small size 9 foot and an old spray paint can for scale

Great color on this!  Hopefully you wore some thick socks when you put your shoe in there.... I know all too well from pulling weeds around mine.  Speaking of which, you should try it some time :floor:

2 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Exquisite photography William. Superb centering of your subject. Your white balance is extraordinary considering the extreme position of the Sun and the delicate blue hues of the Encepholartos. F20? Slightly wide aperture setting? Oh, and the way the subject sat so still for the photo!

You took the words right out of my mouth, but you were right with the first selection of f20 as opposed to the wider aperature, which was used to maximize the DOF in focus, no blurry background bokeh from f1.8 in that shot.  Clearly shot at 100 ISO that time of day to make sure you minimized the grain, right Bill. And the selection of that 35mm prime lens was the perfect choice for your distance from the subject, not too wide, yet not a telephoto!  Did I miss anything Bill?

• Upvote 2

With all the out of work comedians and you two are making jokes.... :floor:

Yeah? Well add me to the list of out-of-workers...in a way. Retired from the city two weeks ago, got my pension and now work part-time at Birdrock. How cool is that?

• Upvote 1

Wow! Congrats Greg! Enjoying sleeping in yet?