IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Newport Beach Cocunut

surgeon83

I finally have a chance to post after visiting CA two weeks ago.  I took these pictures of the Newport Beach coconut on Sunday 12/2/07.  I assume the plaque was created by somebody on this board?  Is it really the farthest north coconut?  How about parts of bermuda or some other islands somewhere?  

Pics:

When you're driving along the road, this is what its surroundings look like; the coconut is towards the right in the picture.  This might help you find it on your next trip, Dave.

DSCF1156.jpg

DSCF1281.jpg

DSCF1283.jpg

DSCF1284.jpg

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

Brian-

Thanks for taking the time for an update.  Looks happy!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

With 4-5ft of trunk in 23 years, it's growing at the pace of a Jubaeopsis. Looks great all things considered.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

It's looking great. For those trying to grow coconuts where they shouldn't (like me) you can learn a lot from this one. Any idea what variety it may be?

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

They should try a few more if that one is growing so well. Now where is the southernmost  Cocus . Sydney's climate is about as mild as NB or perth maybe !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

I remember when seeing a few photos of this palm from a few years ago and it really looked pathetic, but now it looks fantastic.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

It probably varies depending on what time of year you look at it.  Right now after a whole growing season, it will look it's best.  Then in Spring it'll look crappy again.  Sort of what all our gardens do out here in CA, just to a lesser extent.  I always like to take picture of my stuff in November.  Things seem to look best then.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Are they sure that it's the farthest north coconut??

What about the southern tip of Spain?  I heard coconuts grow there.

- Scott -

Littleton Colorado - Zone 6A.

Growing several Rhapidophyllum hystrix, and attempting a T-Fortunei.

(Tassie_Troy1971 @ Dec. 15 2007,18:44)

They should try a few more if that one is growing so well. Now where is the southernmost  Cocus . Sydney's climate is about as mild as NB or perth maybe !

There are reportedly a few around Perth. One I know of definitely which is about the same size as the NB one. Hopefully my Dwarf Malay I planted a month ago will add to that number. But I think the furthest South coconut may be in South Africa somewhere, as they have warmer ocean currents into the 30's along the east coast than Oz. Maybe Dennis knows. Are you out there Dennis? Are there any coconuts around 34S in SA?

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

LA is further north than Newport Beach & also has mild winters [Jack, aren't you growing a coco palm?  I should have transplanted nucifera's last summer.

This should be a competition to see how far north a coconut palm will grow.  :P

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Wow. Never knew it was that big. Looks great.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Hi all,

Bermuda has lots of coconuts. They get quite large here and set viable seed!  My dad actually found a coconut lying  on the road about 10 years ago and grew one for my brother's new house. It's been pot bound for years but still surviving(even the mealy bugs failed to kill it).  Pretty much anywhere the Gulfstream passes with its warm waters and there is no frost/freeze you'll have a chance, but dont quote me on that.

Tyrone-Perth is actually antipodal to Bermuda so I would imagine they would have some your area.

Some pics of Bermuda coconut palms I pulled off the net

My Webpage

My Webpages

My Webpage

http://images.google.ca/imgres?....rl=http

• Like 1

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

(Coloradoboi @ Dec. 15 2007,23:07)

Are they sure that it's the farthest north coconut??

What about the southern tip of Spain?  I heard coconuts grow there.

doubt it, while S. Spain is definitely warm enough for palms, cocos are out of the question, it's just too cool imo.  Their average Jan high is in the low/mid 60s F, low in the low/mid 40s.  Too cool.

I wonder where the furthest north Cocos is located in FL, anyone know?  Also curious to the furthest north in TX.  The RGV has a some (at least til the next big freeze), but I seem to remember someone posting they were growing one in Corpus Christi.

Here is an example of one in Deep South Texas from the PSST website.

http://www.raingardens.com/psst/meetings/PSST_Jul06.html

I know green valley growers has them in willis Tx!!

in 3 gal cans that is!!

they ship to alot of box stores!

:P

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

(Tyrone @ Dec. 15 2007,18:43)

... Any idea what variety it may be?

regards

Tyrone

It looks like what we call "Golden Coconut" here in the Philippines.

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

It's nice to see it still growing and doing so well.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(gcyao @ Dec. 16 2007,23:03)

(Tyrone @ Dec. 15 2007,18:43)

... Any idea what variety it may be?

regards

Tyrone

It looks like what we call "Golden Coconut" here in the Philippines.

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

Thanks for that George.

Is that the same as the Golden Dwarf Malay?

(Palm Guy @ Dec. 16 2007,09:43)

Tyrone-Perth is actually antipodal to Bermuda so I would imagine they would have some your area.

Yes it is, but our climates are vastly different I would say. Your climate is one I envy. As you are in the gulf stream you would have a marine tropical climate, so you are warmer than you should be for your distance from the equator. Lucky you, and I mean that. You would be about as warm as say 26S in west Oz, though a great deal more humid and wet and without the extreme high temps of west Oz.

Perth is basically warm because Australia has a continental tropical climate and for most of the year Perth is under the influence of this continental tropical influence, except in winter when Antarctica throws it's cold fronts at us, and we get wet. That is the downer for coconuts here. Wet and cold are it's downfall. Go about 300km north where the cold fronts don't quite reach and coconuts grow and fruit there even though the temps are only about 1C warmer. A good thing for growing coconuts here is the deep sandy soil on the coastal plains. I hope I haven't hijacked this thread too much but as we are talking about the coconuts extreme climatic range I thought it appropriate.

I liked your pics of Bermuda. It looks beautiful.

Best regards

Tyrone

Brian--

Thanks for finding and posting. I was waiting for a buddy who lives only about a mile from this tree to send me pics, but...

I had driven by this plant many times when I lived and worked in the area, but always assumed it was "only" a Parajubaea. After a couple of years in SoFla and seeing thousands of coconuts, I see I was wrong.

BTW, if you're still looking for a place to relocate to a place where you can grow Cocos, SoFla is still much cheaper than Newport Beach :P

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Does anyone have a mail order sight for dwarf coconut seedlings?

Thanks

Dan

Foggy San Francisco

Average Monthly Hi 60.2 F

Average Monthly Lo 49.9 F

Avearge Monthy 55.2F

Average Summer Hi 61.8F

Average Winter Lo 45.8

(syersj @ Dec. 16 2007,22:11)

I wonder where the furthest north Cocos is located in FL, anyone know?  Also curious to the furthest north in TX.  The RGV has a some (at least til the next big freeze), but I seem to remember someone posting they were growing one in Corpus Christi.

Here is an example of one in Deep South Texas from the PSST website.

http://www.raingardens.com/psst/meetings/PSST_Jul06.html

You probably already know this already, but the furthest north a cocos has survived the freezes of the 80's is in Cocoa Beach.  

I know of three mature post '89 cocos in Titusville.  I don't know if there is any growing around New Smyrna Beach, but I would imagine that it would be possible since it looks like temperatures stay warm enough baring any major freezes.

Brevard County, Fl

Cocoa Beach and St. Petersburg most likely are the furthest north in FL that coconuts have survived long term (post 12/89 freeze survivors). Since then they have been planted  north and inland (Orlando,Daytona Beach) but none survived the 12/89 freeze.

How far north in Africa along the coasts do coconuts grow?

what about India and China?

Also, do coconuts grow in the Azores?

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

(Jimbean @ Dec. 17 2007,08:08)

I know of three mature post '89 cocos in Titusville.  

Jimbean,

Are you talking about the ones on the Indian River at the corner of 402, just before the Max Brewer Causeway?

The ones that are between the river and our brand new Cocoa Beach triple highrise condos? The ones that block the view of the entire river?? :angry:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

(gsn @ Dec. 17 2007,16:28)

(Jimbean @ Dec. 17 2007,08:08)

I know of three mature post '89 cocos in Titusville.  

Jimbean,

Are you talking about the ones on the Indian River at the corner of 402, just before the Max Brewer Causeway?

The ones that are between the river and our brand new Cocoa Beach triple highrise condos? The ones that block the view of the entire river?? :angry:

Yes, that accounts for two of them.  There is also another one (mature Jamaican tall) growing in the front yard of a guy that I used to work with.

Brevard County, Fl

(dokeeffe @ Dec. 17 2007,05:47)

Does anyone have a mail order sight for dwarf coconut seedlings?

Thanks

I used to get a few sent to me from someone on the island of Molakai in Hawaii. But it's been a couple of years and he dosen't live there anymore. I planted the last 3 trees in my yard, but these were pure. Only dwarfs for miles and miles.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Surge!

Thanks!

Hmm.  Wish we'd hooked up when you came here.  Could have helped me find it . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(fastfeat @ Dec. 17 2007,05:25)

Brian--

if you're still looking for a place to relocate to a place where you can grow Cocos, SoFla is still much cheaper than Newport Beach :P

Oh I know; I have my sight set on USF and hope to live in St. Pete and commute.  Miami was beautiful, but I was not comfortable with the pathology program there.  Maybe in 10 years when I get out into private practice.  

The stuff growing in St. Pete was unbelievable- especially along the coast.  

BTW, Galveston is OUT as far as coconuts go in TX.

PS- Dave, what's up?  First I missed you in CA (next time for sure), then I just left Tampa Thursday at 4:30pm and now you're there.  It would have been great if we had coincidentlly crossed paths at Kopsick or Sunken Gardens (both of which are ABSOLUTE MUSTS!!!).  Kopsick is just a park; its free.  Sunken Gardens is $8.  Those two are pretty close.  If you like traveler's palms as much as I do, Sunken Gardens will BLOW YOUR MIND.  Lots of other stuff too.  Then, just to see how tropical it can look that far north, check out the islands off the coast of St. Pete, such as Treasure Island, St. Pete Beach, and pretty much all the rest.  Looks like southern FL for sure (except for the beach part).  Check out my threads and pm me if you have any questions, as I just got back from 6 days driving around in FL from Miami all the way up to Tampa, with quick efficient stops along the way.  Looks like its cooler for you; I enjoyed mid-80s with lows in the 70s my entire week there.

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

(Gonzer @ Dec. 17 2007,18:47)

What ever became of the Cocos out at the Salton Sea?

Gonzer

I think the story of cocos growing around the Salton Sea is a myth.  I can't image a tropical palm surviving in the intense summer heat & occasional sub-freezing nights in the low desert.  Well-watered & protected maybe a coconut could make it in Palm Springs.  Anyone growing nucifera in the desert [Phoenix/El Centro?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Someone posted a photo of the coconuts in the Salton Sea on one of the boards. Apparently they were thriving, but the owner moved out, and the new tenants stopped watering them and they died. From the photos of the group though, none of them looked as large as the Coconut palm in Newport Beach.

I'm always up for learning new things!

(Tyrone @ Dec. 17 2007,04:56)

I don't know, Tyrone, but the Golden Coconuts in the Philippines allegedly came from Indonesia. The one in my yard, around 30 years old, is only about 30 ft tall.

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

(gcyao @ Dec. 18 2007,04:05)

(Tyrone @ Dec. 17 2007,04:56)

I don't know, Tyrone, but the Golden Coconuts in the Philippines allegedly came from Indonesia. The one in my yard, around 30 years old, is only about 30 ft tall.

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

That sounds about right for the Golden Dwarf Malay. That's what I've just planted at my place. It's pretty much all you can buy here. Trying to get a green tall is near impossible. I think I've germinated a green tall from a shop bought nut. What a fast grower that one is.

regards

Tyrone

Many years ago,I saw a picture of a private island in Greece owned by Aristotle Onasis.I am not sure of which island but it was loaded with Coconuts.Perhaps he planted them in the Summer and replaced them the following year.I do not know the latitude of the island or it's name.Anyone know?

What you look for is what is looking

Don't know where Onasis' island was but imagine it was somewhat closer to Athens ( 37 degrees )  than I am - I'm at 36 degrees - right at the bottom of Greece.

The Newport Beach coconut is at 33 degrees - and certainly quite a rarity.

The Canary Islands are located at 27 and coconuts do ok ( if taken care of ). What a difference 6 degrees make.

Could well be that Onasis brought them in every year from Africa - the really rich Athenian Greeks do make a point about having some cash.

Lardos, Greece ( Island of Rhodes ) 10B

1.9 km from Mediterannean Sea

So what makes this coconut tick? Is it all of the asphalt and concrete surrounding it that absorbs heat from the sun and radiates the heat back out at night and at cooler times? Is it that the asphalt and concrete prevents cold rain from getting to the roots? Is the fill under that building actually sand? Is the coconut on the south side of the building? Is there a nuclear reactor slowly humming away under that building?

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Is there a nuclear reactor slowly humming away under that building?
  :laugh:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23