Beccariophoenix alfredii

220 posts in this topic

I am afraid the news just gets nastier and nastier.    At this point it is clear that it will be 100% foliage lost, and we have 2 pulled spears.  I am thinking at best, only a 50% survival rate, and probably worse.

Sorry to hear that Keith.

Sorry Keith, thanks for keeping us posted. 

Glad I have some butia hybrids seeing that my beccariophoenix hopes have been crushed

39 minutes ago, Tropicdoc said:

Glad I have some butia hybrids seeing that my beccariophoenix hopes have been crushed

Yep, for sure.   I'd put this about the same hardiness of P. robellini,maybe a tad more tender.

It sounds like Beccariophoenix Alfredii may be much more tender than a Phoenix Robelleni.  Around here (Gainesville, northern Florida), I saw many phoenix robelleni survive our nasty 2010 freeze event.  They had brown fronds and may even have defoliated, but many seem to have come back -- if not most or all of them.  I know of a Syagrus Romanzoffiana that was killed while a couple of Phoenix Robelleni just down the street survived. 

I am not reluctant to plants things which I know are bud-hardy for my climate, even though they might not look the best after a freeze event.  Yet it sounds as though Beccariophoenix Alfredii is not bud hardy enough for zone 9a.     

I'm still hoping to hear they come back from 24f. Based on this experience it sounds like it is a degree or two less hardy than R. regia, A. cunninghamiana, and K. oliviformis. 

Edited by RedRabbit

OUCH

So much for hope springing eternal.

On 1/23/2017, 7:33:34, _Keith said:

I am afraid the news just gets nastier and nastier.    At this point it is clear that it will be 100% foliage lost, and we have 2 pulled spears.  I am thinking at best, only a 50% survival rate, and probably worse.

Any signs of life?

I think one of the four might be alive.   Probably won't know for sure till May.

Ouch. :(

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2017‎ ‎5‎:‎35‎:‎48‎, Sandy Loam said:

It sounds like Beccariophoenix Alfredii may be much more tender than a Phoenix Robelleni.  Around here (Gainesville, northern Florida), I saw many phoenix robelleni survive our nasty 2010 freeze event.  They had brown fronds and may even have defoliated, but many seem to have come back -- if not most or all of them.  I know of a Syagrus Romanzoffiana that was killed while a couple of Phoenix Robelleni just down the street survived. 

I am not reluctant to plants things which I know are bud-hardy for my climate, even though they might not look the best after a freeze event.  Yet it sounds as though Beccariophoenix Alfredii is not bud hardy enough for zone 9a.     

Agreed. There are a few roebellini down the street that have minimal browning after 25 F this winter.

Well, we have at least one winner, Livistona mariae x decipiens.  This thing was accidentally mowed and came back.  100% foliage loss in freeze, and is coming back even before the heat arrives.   Looks like we have a solid Zone 9a with this one.

IMG_1593.JPG

Keith, I have the same hybrid Livistona Mariae x Decipiens and I believe it came from the same source as yours too.  I am discouraged to hear about the foliage loss during your freeze this year.  I have had mine in the ground for over a year and have never experienced any damage, but it has never endured very low temperatures......yet, at least. It is the future that I am worried about.  I deliberately planted mine right out in the open in a potentially cold and very exposed location.

With both parents being cold-hardy palms, I expected the offspring to be quite cold-hardy as well.  What a surprise!  There are livistona decipiens/decora around here that tolerated the big 2009-2010 freeze without any problem at all, and they were right out in the open without any overhead tree canopy.

On 3/3/2017, 11:48:32, Sandy Loam said:

Keith, I have the same hybrid Livistona Mariae x Decipiens and I believe it came from the same source as yours too.  I am discouraged to hear about the foliage loss during your freeze this year.  I have had mine in the ground for over a year and have never experienced any damage, but it has never endured very low temperatures......yet, at least. It is the future that I am worried about.  I deliberately planted mine right out in the open in a potentially cold and very exposed location.

With both parents being cold-hardy palms, I expected the offspring to be quite cold-hardy as well.  What a surprise!  There are livistona decipiens/decora around here that tolerated the big 2009-2010 freeze without any problem at all, and they were right out in the open without any overhead tree canopy.

Don't be disappointed yet.  Understand this is a very small palm, less than 12 inches, first year in the ground.   And on top of that it was mowed over mid year and had to grow its foliage back from that so everything was young and tender.  A few years from now I doubt it would have even noticed these freezes.

On 2/22/2017, 11:39:50, _Keith said:

I think one of the four might be alive.   Probably won't know for sure till May.

Did that one make it?

Hey gang, I am new to the forum, but my  2 alfredii have been in the ground since the spring of 2014.  No canopy, however, I am protected by two story homes to the north and south.  These things grow like weeds!

Aloha nui loa!

IMG_0353.JPG

Kekoanui!

Welcome to the forum!

See my PM (Private Message).

On 6/24/2017, 10:02:26, RedRabbit said:

Did that one make it?

Yes, one did survive and is recovering nicely.

On 6/28/2017, 10:48:56, _Keith said:

Yes, one did survive and is recovering nicely.

Awesome! :D