IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

LONG, Florida vacation - opium of the open road

DoomsDave

Dave,

You could swing by me, but there's not much to look at. I'm selling out now, and with the timing of your arrival, just not much to see. :(  maybe a lunch, talk about the old days......

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Dave,

If you get to Loxahatchee please stop by the nursery,

I'd be glad to show you around.

When you get down to the Keys, I'd reccommend stopping at the Key Deer Refuge at Big Pine and No Name Key. You can see Coccothrinax argentata and Thrinax morrisii in habitat there, not to mention the smallest deer in the world. It's just off US1 and easy to find. After checking out the palms have lunch at the No Name Pub, an original 1920's Keys treasure. There are also Thrinax radiata all through the middle Keys.

Mike

Mike Harris

Caribbean Palms Nursery

Loxahatchee, Florida USA

I appreciate the plugs for National Wildlife Refuges in Florida.  Merritt Island (and Pelican Island, well to the south) are excellent bird places.  Pelican Island is on Jungle Trail, an unpaved road with parking at a nice hammock (barrier island forest), mostly oak but with some tropical trees.  The Environmental Learning Center on Wabasso Causeway (Indian River County) has an outstanding collection of native tropical plants, but nary a palm.

Mike Harris is right about National Key Deer Refuge and its native pineland palms.  It looks a lot like Bahamas pinelands, and is truly tropical.  Also much, much drier than the mainland.  The Key West Botanical Garden is modest but growing.  By the way, Fairchild has a Keys section tucked away where hardly visitors go.  The thicket (tropical hammock) took a lot of effort to develop and Fairchild people are very fond of it.  It's a bird magnet.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

(Jeff Searle @ Dec. 08 2007,05:12)

I'm selling out now, and with the timing of your arrival, just not much to see. :(  maybe a lunch, talk about the old days......

Jeff

What does this mean? Are you going out of business??  ??? :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dave,

I live at the gateway to the keys. I have a guest room, you'r invited to stay as longh as you want. I can also pick you up as your bus passes near by. 15 minutes to FTBG, 30 to the Keys.

Plenty of palms down this way and good food too (stone crabs freash from my traps!)

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

• 10 years later...
On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2007‎ ‎8‎:‎12‎:‎21‎, Jeff Searle said:

Dave,

You could swing by me, but there's not much to look at. I'm selling out now, and with the timing of your arrival, just not much to see. :(  maybe a lunch, talk about the old days......

Jeff

:floor:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B