IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I joined but haven't gotten anything

junglegalfla

If I joined Oct 1, how long should it take to receive anything in the mail?  ???

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Bren,

I would follow up with an email. Just ask and let them know that you were just wondering, now that it's been over two months.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Bren,

Only just yesterday, Monday, did I receive the list of new members from Allen Press. Officially for the month of November, but owing to a processing problem, all those who also signed up in October were also listed, so it was quite a long list. Your name is there. The list was forwarded to Ortanique, and anyone who signed up in Oct/Nov can expect to be contacted within the next few weeks.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I joined too, but other than the payment confirmation have recieved nothing.  I think I joined in November though, so my name might not be listed.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I just joined this last month also, is there any thing else I need to do to recieve the free seeds from Ortanique?  Can"t seem to find the post I saw the instructions on.  

Thanks

Edrow

Texas Coast

Edrow

Zone 9A

Sweeny, TX.

Texas Gulf Coast

26 miles from the Gulf of Mexico

Elevation 16'

Gets hotter than a snake's butt in a wagon rut.

High Humidity

Keith and Eddie,

You are both on the list and you will be contacted by Ortanique via e-mail within the next few weeks.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Would that list include those who joined in September?

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Ditto... I haven't heard anything since the confirmation that I'd joined on September 24.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Terry, your name is on the list, but Kim's is NOT. Kim - when and how did you sign up?

September 17, online.  I can see the charge on my card,  and I have an email confirmation if you need it.  For some reason the Biennial coordinator guy had a hard time finding it also.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Kim,

It seems like part of the problem around the September time period was that it was transitional, with the new website coming on line, which handled new memberships separately from Allen Press (and the communication didn't always work the way it should have).

I have checked with Allen Press, and they just responded that they have no record of you as a new member, BUT upon checking the website records for that period they did find your name. They want to know if - at this point since you now have a choice - you want a 2007 or 2008 membership. Let me know, please! :)

Bo-Göran

Kim,

Hopefully, things have been straightened out now. Apparently a glitch in the system back in September. I've sent you one PM and one e-mail. Hopefully you get both!

Bo-Göran

i am going to quit & then join again so i'm elligible.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to sound like a broken record... I'm still waiting for anything.

Shouldn't I have gotten a magazine by now? I can understand Ortanique waiting 3 months to do a group seed mailing, but popping a magazine in the mail seems pretty easy. Unless that was also held up by the group seed mailing.

Terry,

There's no connection between the mailing of Palms (the IPS Journal) and the seed offer by Ortanique. It used to be that all memberships ran on a calendar year basis, so if you signed up, say, in September you would receive all 4 issues for that year. I believe that was recently changed, so that the membership will now run for 12 months from the date you sign up. Will have to check into that. IF that's the case, then it's quite conceivable that you signed up right after the Sep 2007 issue had been mailed out, and if so, then the Dec 2007 issue will be your first. It's in the mail (and I received my copy a few days ago), but many people probably have not received it yet. Hopefully you'll receive it between now and the end of the year. If not, let me know!

Bo-Göran

I joined 9/29/07 and had a heck of a time. My Credit card payment went to Liz Stanfield's private pay pal account. She assured me she was going to forward it to IPS in Kansas. Finally 2 months later I got an e-mail from Allen Press that said thanks for your renewal. But still haven't gotten anything. Just wondering if I'm on the list?

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

Jason,

You don't seem to be on the list.

And Naturegirl,

without your real name, tough for me to check, but I looked for your location (Satellite Beach) and no record of any IPS member there.

Both of you - please send me a PM with your full name and address, and information on how and when you signed up, and I'll check into this. With the holidays right around the corner, I'm not sure when I can expect a reply on this. Probably - at best - at the end of this coming week.

Bo-Göran

Jason,

To my surprise I received a response from Allen Press, but he was unable to check the membership list today, but will do so as soon as he's back in the office this coming week. He thinks you may be on the 1/1/08-12/31/08 membership list. After I sent you my e-mail I checked the monthly membership list (for Nov 2007) that I get from Allen Press, and you are indeed on that list.

Bo-Göran

You know the funny thing? I have been a member all year, recieved all 4( +1 supplement) and haven't ever recieved my seeds from Ortanique. I don't know why. Its just a little odd.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Jason and Charlene,

You're both listed (with Allen Press) as 2008 members, i.e. Jan-Dec 2008. We're STILL on a calendar year basis when it comes to memberships. I.e. all memberships run Jan-Dec, so when you signed up a couple of months ago, you were entered for 2008. The switch to "rolling memberships" has not yet been implemented. When this happens (probably during this coming year), members will be active members from the month they sign up, until that month the next year.

Bo-Göran

Am I in the same category as Jason and Charlene? If not I hope my membership doesn't expire this week!

Well, the way I understand it (per conversation) is when you join it is based on a yearly basis and they made me choose when I joined to either be a member for 2 short months and receive all Palms issues for the 2007 year or to start my membership in January 08'. I told him that one main reason I joined when I did was to get the Pritchardia supplement that comes with the most recent Palms issue. He said either join now for a couple of months to get it or to join in January and purchase a copy of the last Palms issue. I opted to join in Januray as I didn't want to renew my membership two months later!! With that said, I'm not sure if I'm on the current list to get seeds as my membership starts in January now?

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Here's hoping I'm a 2008 member.

To all IPS members,

Rusty Wright here. I'm the business manager for the IPS. I apologize for any confusion in the past as well as any problems you've experienced in contacting Allen Press. I have recently learned of this forum and will be monitoring it regularly and answering any membership or subscription questions. Any concerns can be directed to me on the forum, as well as directly to me at the business office through email or phone.

To osideterry,

You are indeed a 2008 member and can expect your membership to become active on 01/01/2008.

Rusty Wright

IPS Business Manager

Allen Press, Inc.

rwright@allenpress.com

800-627-0326

Rusty Wright

IPS Business Manager

Allen Press, Inc.

rwright@allenpress.com

800-627-0326

Great :angry: I joined Oct 07 and a friend just joined a couple weeks ago to be able to go on the biennial with me. This means after Jan 1 08, we are no longer members in good standing?? If so, that isn't right  :( I still haven't received anything for crumps sake.

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

junglegalfla-

Your membership becomes active on 01/01/2008 and is good until 12/31/2008. If you let me know the name of the friend to which you were referring, I will double-check their status as well.

As you signed up in October, and memberships run on a calendar year, your membership was bumped to 2008 instead of activating a 2007 membership and sending you all the back-issues. You will begin receiving Journals with the first issue of 2008.

Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions!

Rusty Wright

IPS Business Manager

Allen Press, Inc.

rwright@allenpress.com

800-627-0326

Rusty, Just checking if I'm a 2008 member. I joined in December. Thanks, Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Hi Rusty

I´ve received my confirmation as a new member on November. With a lot of problems indeed. My membership will expire in December 2008. Ok, I wonder if it´s possible to get the 2007 back issues ( also the Pritchardias supplement ).

Please let me know.

Regards,

Carlos Simón

Randy,

I'm glad you asked! We indeed received payment from you on 12/13/07, but no personal information was submitted with the payment. Please send me your mailing address and your email address at rwright@allenpress.com and I will get your membership activated. You will indeed be a 2008 member. Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you regarding membership.

Carlos,

2007 back issues 1,2, and 4 are available for $10 per copy. The Pritchardia supplement is included with issue 4. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you would like more information on these or would like to order.

Rusty Wright

IPS Business Manager

Allen Press, Inc.

rwright@allenpress.com

800-627-0326

Thanks for clearing the confusion here. I received an email from Ortanique, asking for my mailing address yesterday. I haven't seriously tried germinating and am looking forward to the experience.

(osideterry @ Jan. 03 2008,09:56)

Thanks for clearing the confusion here. I received an email from Ortanique, asking for my mailing address yesterday. I haven't seriously tried germinating and am looking forward to the experience.

I just got the same email last night Terry so now we are official!!  :P

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

In the name of clarification, I'd like to explain the procedure and chain of events. At the beginning of each month, Rusty sends me (and other IPS Executive Board members) a list of whoever signed up as new IPS members the previous month. I forward this list to Ortanique, and Joseph (at Ortanique) then sends out individual e-mails to the new members. In that sense, the e-mail from Joseph is an indirect confirmation of someone's membership in the IPS.

• 2 weeks later...

I joined in November will that be counted as 2007 membership? If so will I receive 2007's magazines.

You guys do a great job ... Thanks

Regards

Brod

Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia

28 latitude, sub tropical

summer average 21c min - 29c max

winter average 10c min - 21c max

extremes at my place 5c - 42c

1100 average rainfall

Hi Brod,

Your payment in November was indeed applied towards a 2008 subscription. In this case, you will of course receive the four 2008 issues.

If you were wanting an issue from 2007 in particular, please let me know and we'll discuss.

Rusty Wright

IPS Business Manager

Allen Press, Inc.

rwright@allenpress.com

800-627-0326

(RustyWright @ Jan. 17 2008,12:20)

Hi Brod,

Your payment in November was indeed applied towards a 2008 subscription. In this case, you will of course receive the four 2008 issues.

If you were wanting an issue from 2007 in particular, please let me know and we'll discuss.

Thanks for your reply.

I am interested in Vol 51. No 1  March 2007

Regards

Brod

Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia

28 latitude, sub tropical

summer average 21c min - 29c max

winter average 10c min - 21c max

extremes at my place 5c - 42c

1100 average rainfall

Hi Brod,

Our customer service department forwarded me a recent email, in which you indicated that you indeed wished to transfer your 2008 membership to a 2007 membership, and renew for 2008. This transfer has been made, so you will receive all back-issues from 2007 (including 51:1), and your 2008 membership is available for renewal.

If you wish to do something other than this, please let me know via email at rwright@allenpress.com or phone at 800-627-0326.

Rusty Wright

IPS Business Manager

Allen Press, Inc.

rwright@allenpress.com

800-627-0326