IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

South Florida Palm Society

Jeff Searle

For those of you that live down here in South Florida, does anyone know the exact dates for this annual event? It's a large auction of palms and cycads,(and I believe other plts. as well) that runs the entire evening. The spread of food that is offered is also very delicious as well. I plan on going down, but as of yet, I have not seen or heard of anything.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

*** Update***

I just recieved a postcard this afternoon. The dates are December 3rd. It starts at 7:30 pm.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff...it was good to see you & all  "the usual suspects" at the party.

Ryan was there creating a photo record...where are the pics ??

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

I have had more trouble receiving communication for SFPS events...  I've never recieved anything in the mail, and usually only get notified 24-48 hours in advace of events via email...  I got nothing about the Christmas party.  :(

Why isn't this event held on a Friday or Saturday night?  Mondays suck.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

- 7:27PM: After running the gamut of South Florida traffic, Jeff & Andrea Searle and myself arrived at Fairchild to partake in the Annual Holiday Party held by the South Florida Palm Society. This is always a must-attend event, as the food promises to be fantastic and the auction selection may be quite vast. The SFPS usually spares no species for the auction. There have been some spectacular plants in the past, resulting in some legendary auctions. As soon as we arrived, I made my way to the plants. There were already a large gathering of people and they were mingling between the bar and the stage. First, to be noticed and photographed was this well-grown Nephrosperma van-houtteanum 3 gallon.

2007-12-03_19-27-28.jpg

- A holiday party-goer checks out the selection between the Verschaffeltia splendida (3gal) and the Zamia sp. seedlings.

2007-12-03_19-27-48.jpg

- Sporting some serious stilt-roots is this 3 gallon Physokentia insolita.

2007-12-03_19-28-40.jpg

- At the end of the stage, near the stairs, a perfectly grown Bismarck Palm, Bismarckia nobilis shines while lit by a spotlight.

2007-12-03_19-30-42.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 7:31PM: With a slight motion made by a few individuals towards the food area, the remaining attendees began to form a line along the food tables. I always figure instead of spending twenty minutes in line for food (if I can't get there first) it is a better use of my time to take photos. The tables were well decorated in holiday flair.

2007-12-03_19-31-34.jpg

- SFPS President and Forum member Bill Olson (Bill Olson) talks with the wife of vendor and grower Claude Roatta near the beginning of the evening.

2007-12-03_19-31-46.jpg

- More than plants were offered this evening. A selection of seed, both rare and common, were put out to temp future bidders.

2007-12-03_19-33-26.jpg

- Waiting their turn at the spread were veteran growers Dave & Shirley Romney along with the Curator of Palms & Cycads for Fairchild TB Garden, Christie Jones behind them in line.

2007-12-03_19-35-00.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

(Ray, Tampa @ Dec. 06 2007,15:11)

Why isn't this event held on a Friday or Saturday night?  Mondays suck.

Ray,

You are so right. Monday's are their night that they "rent" the room out for the bi-monthly meetings. But, you brought up a good point, and I will bring it to the attention of the board members. I'm sure more people would attend.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(waykoolplantz @ Dec. 07 2007,04:36)

Ryan...post em right here...we have a thread already

Mike,

Thank.....YOU, but a good point. The less you move around the better. Come on Ryan, lets see some pic.'s.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

- 7:36PM: After perusing the food choices I made my way back to the stage, to get some group shots when I came across collector and Forum member Mike Harris (waykoolplantz). He is seen here carrying in his donation for the auction, a 7 gal. Beccariophoenix alfredii.

2007-12-03_19-36-00.jpg

- In my opinion, this is one of the rarest palms up for auction that evening. Is is an unknown and undescribed species from the Masoala Peninsula of Madagascar. It was donated by enthusiast and Forum member Dr. Peter Balasky (madman) who was first to locate the plant in habitat and to collect seed from it. From the descriptions I have heard, this palm is unlike anything yet found in Madagascar. It has similar features to that of old Vonitra members, but is still unique enough to possibly end up in its own genus. It would probably be named a Dypsis though, because of its familiarity to old Vonitra. Many who looked close at it, just thought the new red leaf was nice and got irritated by the "Unknown" on the tag.

2007-12-03_19-37-34.jpg

- A set of rare books to tease us book collectors... This is a complete set of the 1929 Reprint of L. H. Bailey's The Standard Cyclopedia Of Horticulture. This is a three-part reprinting of the original five-part first edition. It was re-typeset and expanded upon. The bindings were in great condition and the books showed only minor wear on the pages.

2007-12-03_19-44-22.jpg

- 7:46pm: One of the front tables that showcased the auction plants held a surprise for a lucky bidder. One of Jeff Searle's donations came wrapped and remained so until it was won. An approximate value was presented to the crowd along with a promise of the palm's rarity, but no other information was given. It came up for auction later in the evening and got some attention.

2007-12-03_19-46-36.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 7:46PM: A great feature of many palm society meetings is the silent auction. This is often a quick and easy way to get a rare palm at a low price, if you bid at the right time. Some bid once with their highest amount, while others camp out near the clipboards to guard their winning bid. This Cuban Petticoat Palm, Copernicia macroglossa, (7gal) was the first item up for silent auction.

2007-12-03_19-46-58.jpg

- Further down the line, this Borassodendron machadonis (3gal) caught the eye of a few collectors as many knew what its actual value was.

2007-12-03_19-47-20.jpg

- I have yet to perfect the 'smell-o-graph', but if I could you would be drooling over the desert selection. As you can see, there was a lot to eat. If you have a particular favorite holiday desert, chances are, it was there.

2007-12-03_19-49-08.jpg

- 7:50PM: One of the busiest areas of the Garden House during the party, the bar. On the left, grower and member Claude Roatta lists all the possible bar choices on this fingers for a patron while collector and Forum member Ray Gompf (Ray G) pours a glass of wine.

2007-12-03_19-50-52.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 7:53PM: The night continues with the constant assault on the food buffet. There were repeat favorites, holiday familairs and some new things to try. Some items went quick, another reason to not wait to get food, but I got some great photos in the mean time. The sushi did not last long at all.

2007-12-03_19-53-36.jpg

- Forum member and collector Mike Harris (waykoolplantz) adds some roast pork to his plate. That pork was very good and many people made more than one trip to get some of it.

2007-12-03_19-56-38.jpg

- The line around the food tables continues to move, as the selection begins to thin out. There were some great salads and home recipes on display and it was terrific to be able to try them all in one location. The Garden House's display Christmas Palms, Adonidia merrillii, were each wrapped with lights. This was for decoration and not to keep them warm.

2007-12-03_19-58-00.jpg

- 8:22PM: The auction was about to begin. The palms were each spread out and given room to be looked upon. Party goers were each making mental lists on to which ones they wanted to bid on.

2007-12-03_20-22-38.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:23PM: The selection of plant material was provided by numerous sources. Members brought in donations of all sorts, from backyard collectors to large-scale growers, the plants represented were very diverse. Fairchild dug into their nursery collection and donated a selection of rarities. The tall palm in the center of the photo was a Pseudophoenix lediniana (3gal), still quite rare in South Florida and was a surprise to see. That bag near its base held some super fresh Dioon edule seed. Those two palms to the right were Sabal maritima and were part of the Fairchild donation.

2007-12-03_20-23-22.jpg

- A jaunt to the left shows the Astrocaryum mexicanum 3 gallon.

2007-12-03_20-23-28.jpg

- A Corypha utan in a deep pot, bordered on two sides by Chamaedorea hooperiana (3gal).

2007-12-03_20-23-48.jpg

- That spiny palm on the right is Oncosperma tigillarium with a one gallon Euterpe precatoria on the left. Both palms were Fairchild donations.

2007-12-03_20-24-04.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:25PM: In between some of the larger palms on the front table, a Dypsis boiviniana gets poked and prodded by palm fanatics and Dypsis enthusiasts. The one on the right with the red tag is an Arenga tremula.

2007-12-03_20-25-18.jpg

- In amongst the items donated by Forum member Dr. Peter Balasky (madman), was this well grown Dypsis prestoniana. Its demure size hides the potential of this massive species. It is one of the largest Dypsis known.

2007-12-03_20-26-14.jpg

- 8:42PM: Everyone had begun taking their postions for the auction and making last minute plant inspections, including myself. A multiple Chamaedorea fragrans awaits bids next to a Archontophoenix cunninghamiana var. 'Illarawa'.

2007-12-03_20-42-22.jpg

- 8:46PM: The crowd takes their seats and claps as the meeting is called to order and the auction begins.

2007-12-03_20-46-46.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

it looks like a great show/turnout.  The Nephrosperma is impressive.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Ray, Tampa · Posted on Dec. 13 2007,06:56

it looks like a great show/turnout.

There were around 75 to 90 people there, with some leaving early and others arriving later. It was a great turnout. There were many familiar faces, along with some long time members who have not been at a meeting in a while. Vendor De Hull was seen in amongst the crowd along with Montgomery B. Center's Executive Director, Dr. M. Patrick Griffith.

- 8:49PM: SFPS Show Chairman, grower, vendor and Forum member Tim McKernan (Tim McKernan) gave out certificates to those vendors who had award-winning palms during the past Fall Sale.

2007-12-03_20-49-14.jpg

- Many of these awards will be familiar to those who saw the topic about the Fall Sale and Members Party. First up to get her certificate, was grower and Forum member Faith Bishock (budrot). She also brought a few of the favored eatables featured in the spread.

2007-12-03_20-50-02.jpg

- SFPS President, grower and Forum member Bill Olson (Bill Olson) collects his award certificate along with a seasons greeting from Tim.

2007-12-03_20-50-36.jpg

- A newly surprised John Harshaw struts on back to his table with his certificate for Best Cycad.

2007-12-03_20-51-02.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:51PM: Vendor Shirley Mayotte runs on up to get her certificate from Tim, as the clapping and cheering continued.

2007-12-03_20-51-36.jpg

- Last to get their certificate was Jeff Searle, who received it on behalf of his entry of a Licuala beccariana that won Best Overall Palm.

2007-12-03_20-53-16.jpg

- 9:03PM: It was now, about an hour and a half into the party and this was the rapidly growing collection of empties behind the bar. It is true by the way, that the presence of alcohol does add to the bidding of an auction, not to mention also creating some imaginative conversations.

2007-12-03_21-03-28.jpg

- During a short break before the events continued, I took a stroll outside to check out the sky. It was nice to take advantage of the low light to examine the stars and other astrological phenomenon going on about this time. Before going back in, I took a shot of this large Canary Island Date Palm, Phoenix canariensis that has been outside the Garden House for many years. Leaning up against it is Dr. Peter Balasky (madman) who donated a huge selection of plants for the auction, including two of the rarest.

2007-12-03_21-09-06.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Love to see more on this. Thanks so far, these are the sort of stories palm nuts like me swallow up.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

- 9:12PM: The auction gets into high gear with the description of the Beccariophoenix alfredii by SFPS President and Forum member Bill Olson (Bill Olson). Claude Roatta served as plant runner throughout the auction.

2007-12-03_21-12-22.jpg

- Claude enjoyed the description so much, he ended up buying the Beccariophoenix alfredii himself.

2007-12-03_21-13-12.jpg

- Up next was another contestant for rarest palm of the night, a 3 gallon Coccothrinax torrida. This was one of the first live specimens ever seen outside its native habitat of Southeastern Cuba. It was recently described last year by the Forum's own Carlo Morici and Cuban Palm Biologist Raùl Verdecia. I had first heard about this palm, during Raùl's presentation on Cuban Palms during the 4th night of the 2006 DR Biennial. It is restricted to part of one mountain, where it is classified as vulnerable. This donated individual was the first of its species ever for sale in South Florida, or auction for that matter.

2007-12-03_21-15-30.jpg

- Being up close and personal with the Coccothrinax torrida. It is one of the smallest species of Coccothrinax and has brightly colored leaf undersides. The leaves are rounded and deeply divided with broad sinus and thin segments.

2007-12-03_21-15-56.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 9:17PM: After a long and hard fought bidding war, Tim McKernan comes away as the new owner of the Coccothrinax torrida. It doesn't show as much, but he was quite happy.

2007-12-03_21-17-10.jpg

- To the right of Claude lies the next palm up for bid, the 3 gallon Pseudophoenix lediniana. Some party goers were 'chomping at the bit' trying to figure out what that mystery palm in the wrapping paper might be. Certain individuals were trying to get me to divulge said info, but I did not know anymore about it than they did. I wouldn't ruin the surprise anyway, even if I did know.

2007-12-03_21-19-18.jpg

- A pair of Chamaedorea hooperiana were auctioned together and delighted one Chamaedorea fan before the night was over.

2007-12-03_21-20-50.jpg

- One happy bidder adds the Dypsis boiviniana to his growing collection, which is in behind that one gallon Chelyocarpus chuco.

2007-12-03_21-28-46.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 9:25PM: The auction had reached the mid-point, give or take a palm or two and the time had come to auction off the mystery palm. When Bill Olson had begun introducing it to the crowd, everyone got quiet and took their seats in eager anticipation. The bidding was quick and fierce, with some bids jumping up in large amounts. Jeff Searle had donated mystery palms in the past and they have always been choice plants. Many of the would-be bidders knew this. In the end, SFPS Director Jeff Chait won the mystery palm and told Claude Roatta and Dominique Shim to unwrap it for everyone to see. What might it be?

2007-12-03_21-25-20.jpg

- <...drumroll...>  Tah dah, a 3 gallon Licuala platydactyla, a.k.a. Licuala sp. 'Wah'. I have added the common name Bowtie Palm to the description sign used at the sales, after seeing it being used more often. Jeff Chait was very pleased with his purchase and was happy it was a palm he did not already have.

2007-12-03_21-25-30.jpg

- The palms were coming and going at a good pace, some auctions were ended real fast to get people's attention. One quick bid captured this Dypsis prestoniana for Society member Ron Kiefert.

2007-12-03_21-30-26.jpg

- 9:33PM: A view of the Holiday Party from the Garden House's stage. This shot shows the right side of the Garden House, still packed with party-goers. Bill Olson had taken a short break at this point and handed over the microphone to Tim McKernan. Someone had managed to get a bow on Claude's back without him knowing. That coconut on the table, is a Red Dwarf Spicata Coconut, Cocos nucifera var. "Red Dwarf Spicata".

2007-12-03_21-33-44.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Great coverage so far Ryan, can you tell us some of the auction prices?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

BS, Man about Palms · Posted on Dec. 14 2007,23:28

Great coverage so far Ryan, can you tell us some of the auction prices?

In between getting food and dessert, checking out the plants and talking to people I didn't bother taking notes as I usually do. I do remember that the majority of plants in the auction went for between $20 and $50. Some of the rarer ones broke $100 easily, with the C. torrida going for quite a bit. Jeff's mystery palm, the Licuala platydactyla, went for $75. A few of Peter Balasky's donated Madagascar species went for over $100, including the Unknown Palm and a true Dypsis basilonga. I believe that almost every plant was sold at auction for a discount from their actual value, some with larger discounts than others. A few palms were 'stolen' with incredibly low bids. In some of the bidding, you can tell when someone really wants it. They would have no problem going past the palm's value in getting it. In the past, some bidding wars between two diehards have gone into the outrageous just because both 'must have it'.

Ryan

South Florida

- 9:34PM: The auction continued unabated, with more and more plants. This is another shot taken from the stage, showing the other half of the Garden House auditorium with guests seated and others running the auction. SFPS Show Chairman Tim McKernan continues as auctioneer with his hand on the next palm, the Archontophoenix cunninghamiana var. 'Illawara' (1gal).

2007-12-03_21-34-30.jpg

- Tim McKernan points at the winner of the 1 gallon Chamaedorea fragrans. There were still plenty of palms left in the auction, with more of them being spaced out on the tables.

2007-12-03_21-36-58.jpg

- Grower, vendor, member and plant runner extraordinaire Claude Roatta delivers yet another palm to its happy new owner, while sporting an additional bow on his back.

2007-12-03_21-38-26.jpg

- At close to twenty minutes 'till ten, a 3 gallon Yellow Latan Palm, Latania verschaffeltii, became the next palm to be fought over. The remaining plants on the stage were pulled to the front.

2007-12-03_21-39-00.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 9:41PM: Always quick with a one-liner or good for a laugh or two, collectors and Forum members Theresa & Ray Gompf (Ray G) get together for a holiday photo.

2007-12-03_21-39-30.jpg

- Time had come to auction off the L. H. Bailey books and there were a few who were waiting just for them. Tim McKernan starts the bidding and darts his eyes back and forth across the room; finding bidders whose hands' went up and down as if they were performing the wave. Claude took the opportunity to examine the books up close and got into the bidding himself. That small palm next to Claude's right arm was the true Dypsis basilonga that was donated by Dr. Peter Balasky.

2007-12-03_21-49-26.jpg

- With a winning bid of $150.00, Claude got the books and took a second to tell the crowd, "I don't know how to read".   :D

2007-12-03_21-50-44.jpg

- SFPS President and Forum member Bill Olson (Bill Olson) gave Tim McKernan a break this time and resumed the role of auctioneer. Claude brought up this large Beccariophoenix madagascariensis (7gal) and made it next to auction.

2007-12-03_21-52-46.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 9:54PM: The last batch of photos from the Holiday Party feature the last quarter or so of the auction. With the long ride ahead of us, back to Broward County, Jeff, Andrea and I left a few minutes after the last photo. The Beccariophoenix madagascariensis (7gal) gets transported to its new owner.

2007-12-03_21-54-46.jpg

- An additional wide-angle photo of the Garden House from the stage. A few of the party-goers had left by this time and the inevitable cleanup had begun. Bill Olson was auctioning a large Teddy Bear Palm, Dypsis leptocheilos.

2007-12-03_22-03-22.jpg

- Claude had begun to deliver the palm, but he was walking in the wrong direction. In the lower right corner, Bill Sears looks over a few of the remaining palms.

2007-12-03_22-03-46.jpg

- 10:04PM: In the last photo of the event, Claude deposits the palm at its rightful owner's feet. SFPS Director Dr. Jeff Chait sits at the edge of the first table with his new addition, the mystery gift Licuala platydactyla.

2007-12-03_22-04-20.jpg

--<

Ryan

South Florida

I was looking through photos from previous Holiday Parties that were put on by the South Florida Palm Society and other plant and palm groups and collectively concluded how much fun and important these events are. I think plant enthusiasts have the most fun in two situations, when they are with their families or when they spend time with other plant fanatics. In a bonus event such as the Holiday party, both situations may come together into one.

This Holiday Party was well planned and well executed with only a minor problem regarding communication. A few attendees mentioned they had no notice about the party, only finding out that day from a friend who had asked if they were going or not. The food was fabulous with the only regret being not having an additional stomach. The auction held such rare palms to temp anyone who might label themself a collector. A few species made their introduction to South Florida through this very auction. Last, but not least was the company. The ability to see again the vast numbers of society members and plant enthusiasts one might meet over the years is a reason alone to go. The constant conversations made the evening go by quickly. Some of the topics included the past Fall Sale at Fairchild, Jeff Searle's surprise party, the upcoming events such as the Spring SFPS Sale at Montgomery B. Center, the still relatively unknown Palm Fest at Fairchild, TPIE in January, the Spring sale season as a whole and of course the 2008 Biennial in Costa Rica. Everyone who attended had a great time I imagine and I would like to know how everyone else felt about the party.

Ryan

South Florida

Ryan,

Well, first off, your pictures of this Christmas gathering were great as usual. I think we all have come to expect nothing less then this. So keep up the good work, because I know personally how many hours it takes for you to organize all these pictures and then put them all together with text.

Also, many thanks to all involved that put the time and effort in putting this together. I often moan and groan about the drive(approx. 1 1/2 hours because of rush hour traffic) to go down to Fairchild's, but once your there, it's well worth it.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.