IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubea Growth

freakypalmguy

Matt-

Sorry about the delay. Here are some before and after shots of my Jubaea.

[-Perito

Very cool Perito, that is some really nice growth for 5 years. How much do you water it and how often do you fertilize?

Thank you,

Matt

Matt- It's a really sandy soil so in addition to regular watering in the summer I deep soak the entire garden once a month and the Palms love that. I Only fertilize ( Palm Plus 3 month ) 2x in a year but the Jubaea gets a little lawn fertilizer also. Oh, and I'll admit it was six years in the ground. I wish I could plant a bunch of em like you did but there's only room for one in my small area.

Perry Glenn

SLO Palms

(805) 550-2708

http://www.slopalms.com

Perito, nice comparison pics... the jub is looking fabulous, it seems to be very happy in it's location. Impressive growth on that parajub as well. What was the temps that is survived through during that freeze? Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

I have a Jubaea of about 30 y.o. in the ground since it was about 13 y.o. I'm in Italy, USDA 8a-b. The palm see the sun only in the morning and is close to the house wall (to be protected from the north east winds)

Now is about 10 feet high with a trunk of about 4 feet (3m - 1,2m)

2947457622_be86aa0e3e_b.jpg

2946603269_e321839c65_b.jpg

I think here it's slower than in zone 9, but I like it very much.

In Italy Jubaea is a rare palm to see and is only quite common in the big lakes of the north, but very old specimen only, like this

2451580633_d44a4d7978.jpg

ciao

Federico

Ravenna , Italy

USDA 8a\b

16146.gif

Perito, nice comparison pics... the jub is looking fabulous, it seems to be very happy in it's location. Impressive growth on that parajub as well. What was the temps that is survived through during that freeze? Jv

Hi Jv- Really the coldest temps were only 26 or 27 degrees F here but it was the length of the coldsnap followed by the coldest nights that damaged alot of my young trees at the time. Most have fully recovered but there's a couple still limping. I lost one Pritchardia hillebrandii in the ground and lots of nice Palms in containers. The Jubaea and Chamaerops showed no signs of being bothered in the slightest bit. Perito

Perry Glenn

SLO Palms

(805) 550-2708

Hi Jv- Really the coldest temps were only 26 or 27 degrees F here but it was the length of the coldsnap followed by the coldest nights that damaged alot of my young trees at the time. Most have fully recovered but there's a couple still limping. I lost one Pritchardia hillebrandii in the ground and lots of nice Palms in containers. The Jubaea and Chamaerops showed no signs of being bothered in the slightest bit. Perito

Nice FD! Better move that retaining wall soon because that tree's gonna meet concrete shortly! Perito

Perry Glenn

SLO Palms

(805) 550-2708

i planted two Jubaea's this year. a 10y old and a 20y old one. the younger one has grown 4 new leaves since i planted it out but the other one has not grown much. i gues it is making a lot of new roots before it will start growing new leaves.

small ones seem to be marginal and the often get badly damaged in a wet winter with lows around -6°C. bigger ones seem to be much hardier.

my 10y old Jubaea

PqmVB3r.jpg

the 20y old Jubaea

aVox4e9.jpg

Very nice pics gents. Those Italian Jubeas are magnificent. They appear to have a nice blue color.

Kristof, I have noticed this with my Jubeas as well. My smallest has grown the fastest and I think it will catch the others. You are probably right, the bigger plant needs more roots and now that it has some room to spread it's legs, it has changed gears and is putting out lot's of root growth.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Hey Matt, let's hope that the link goes through! My central Florida Jubaea.

post-518-1229274198_thumb.jpg

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Very nice shots! I love Jubaeas. i planted 3 at my house,one at my parents and gave away some little palms.

Perito,that Parajubaea will pull away your house very soon! :lol::mrlooney:

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Hey Mark,

That's a nice Jub, but of course you know your defying nature. They are not supposed to grow there! :) Of course you may have a Butia X Coconut and that's unnatural too, actually unheard of.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Hey Matt, let's hope that the link goes through! My central Florida Jubaea.

It went through perfect Mark, you have the picture thing nailed now.

That is looking great Jub. It appears to be very healthy. Like Dick said, you are defying the odds :D I do think you have a much more suitable climate than So Florida.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Very nice shots! I love Jubaeas. i planted 3 at my house,one at my parents and gave away some little palms.

Perito,that Parajubaea will pull away your house very soon! :lol::mrlooney:

Point well taken Alberto, but I'm not movin' it! Perito

Perry Glenn

SLO Palms

(805) 550-2708

Its good to see so many of these fine palms being planted through out the lands and here is my attempt from very middle bit of the UK.

Jubaea%20yard.jpg

jubaea%20yard%201.jpg

jubaea%20yard2.jpg

2008 (below) the Jub is getting a little fuller and hopefully will soon rise up into the sky. :rolleyes:

jubaea%20yard%202008.jpg

We drop to -6 C / 21 F most years and is not any sort of problem for this palm.

Apologies to all who have seen this link but if anyone wishes to view us guys planting that Jub try the link below.

Jubaea slideshow.

Zone 8b

Central UK

Average min over last 5 years -5.1 C

That is awesome Kev! I am very impressed that it was grown in a 55gal. drum to that size. It actually makes a lot of sense though, as it had a lot more room to grow roots with that deep container. What did you use to cut it out of that drum? The slide show was a lot of fun to watch.

Do you have any more pics of your yard? We would love to see them.

Thank you.

Matt in Temecula, CA

That is awesome Kev! I am very impressed that it was grown in a 55gal. drum to that size. It actually makes a lot of sense though, as it had a lot more room to grow roots with that deep container. What did you use to cut it out of that drum? The slide show was a lot of fun to watch.

Do you have any more pics of your yard? We would love to see them.

Thank you.

Hi Matt,

The drum was cut with what we call tin snips but it was tricky not snipping all the roots off. :blink:

If you want to see us planting my little Trithrinax campestris link below.

Trithy planting

Zone 8b

Central UK

Another excellent slide show. Watching the planting of your Trithrinax was painful :D That is another palm I have on my wish list.

Take care,

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Kev, I remember news of you planting the Jubea some time back but never saw the slideshow. Great bunch of friends there, too! Looks like you are home free!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hey Mark,

That's a nice Jub, but of course you know your defying nature. They are not supposed to grow there! :) Of course you may have a Butia X Coconut and that's unnatural too, actually unheard of.

Dick

Thanks Dick!!!!

I am trying to defy the odds!!! It has been here for a cpl of years but i wonder if i should move it to full sun??? It gets sun untill about 11:00am, then it is in the shade. I hope i have the ever elusive, Butia X Cocos Nucifera, time will tell!

Thanks Matt,

When you get some time, i hope to have you visit my place, there is alot to see!!! Yes, i think i FINALLY have the pic downloading down!!!!!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

• 8 years later...
On 12/14/2008, 2:33:18, freakypalmguy said:

Very nice pics gents. Those Italian Jubeas are magnificent. They appear to have a nice blue color.

Kristof, I have noticed this with my Jubeas as well. My smallest has grown the fastest and I think it will catch the others. You are probably right, the bigger plant needs more roots and now that it has some room to spread it's legs, it has changed gears and is putting out lot's of root growth.

Matt

Matt, in the pictures are two green Jubs, the two blue palms are Brahea armata!

Wim.

Thanks for taking interest in my Jubaea it had a bad time winter 2010 where we had an unheard of -11.9c in our garden...normally -6c.

This resulted on a 5ft spear pull and all leaves being burnt off however it made a strong comeback the spear reappeared the next spring and I have a full compliment of leaves again please see pictures I took this morning 14th Jan 2017

IMG_6944_zps5r4gkbkp.jpg

The hole you see in the trunk , below, is from 2010 where I drilled the spear to remove the rain that had accumulated inside the spear pull....the palms below are T.nanus they were unaffected by the cold.

IMG_6943_zpsbf9pou7j.jpg

IMG_6942_zpsrf8yuxyc.jpg

IMG_6945_zpsnsxlhgmi.jpg

The below shot is spring 2011...............please look away now!!

Picture%20095.jpgjub.jpg

• Upvote 5

Zone 8b

Central UK

5 hours ago, Kev Spence said:

Thanks for taking interest in my Jubaea it had a bad time winter 2010 where we had an unheard of -11.9c in our garden...normally -6c.

This resulted on a 5ft spear pull and all leaves being burnt off however it made a strong comeback the spear reappeared the next spring and I have a full compliment of leaves again please see pictures I took this morning 14th Jan 2017

IMG_6944_zps5r4gkbkp.jpg

The hole you see in the trunk , below, is from 2010 where I drilled the spear to remove the rain that had accumulated inside the spear pull....the palms below are T.nanus they were unaffected by the cold.

IMG_6943_zpsbf9pou7j.jpg

IMG_6942_zpsrf8yuxyc.jpg

IMG_6945_zpsnsxlhgmi.jpg

The below shot is spring 2011...............please look away now!!

Picture%20095.jpgjub.jpg

Amazing