IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is naturalized

ruskinPalms

Was replying to the Sabal mexicana post and decided to start this thread. What is naturalized (I mean really naturalized, multiple specimens can be found in the forests) in your area. I will quote myself from the other thread:

Seems like a really nice sabal species.  Interstingly, the native Sabal palmetto around here varies quite a bit in trunk thickness, height etc.  I really need to get out to some of the local parks and do a photoshoot. I think the incredible abundance of native palms (even though they are Sabal andSerenoa for the most part) in central and south FL is taken for granted by the people who live here. A native forested area here in Floride looks downright awsome, of course the farther south you go the greater chance you might run into more variety (native and/or naturalized).  Queen palms and wierd Phoenix hybrids (usually reclinata x who knows or canariensis x roebelenii) have naturalized to the forests in my immediate area. Very cool when mixed in with all the other native flora. Washingtonia is quite happy here too as it pops up in the strangest places. Usually likes the peripheries of forested areas more than the dense parts. Queens and phoenixes seem to pop up near oases, areas where there is plenty of water. I'll have to dig out a picture of a feral Phoenix growing in standing water for most of the year!

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

not much forest here, but what i see that pops up on its own the most around here is washingtonia, and oddly enough cidp, the cidps pop up along ditch banks and canals, the washies pop up everywhere. A few sabals here and there but nowhere near the number like washies.

• Upvote 1

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

I apologize everyone, I had promised a good picture of the phoenix growing standing water, I thought I had a better pic.... If you squint real hard you can see it at the bottom of the creek bed. Like I said, it is areas like this with a good supply of water and probably also a good supply of fertile muck that palms (and other exotics) really have naturalized to in my area. It is actually in a stand of old live oaks. I am not too worried about exotic palms taking over though, since the soil in most of my area is so piss poor, dry and sandy.

IMG_2419Custom.jpg

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Definitely A. alexandrae. I have posted these photos before. This photo was taken from one of the bridges crossing a deep gulch on the Hamakua coast, some 15 miles north of Hilo. This is looking more or less straight down from the bridge. And those Alexandra palms are probably all about 40-50 ft tall!

post-22-1195959742_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And this is from the same spot on the bridge, looking in a westerly direction (towards Mauna Kea, even though the mountain obviously isn't visible in the photo).

post-22-1195959818_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Although, with all the intersting hybridization that must be happening with the date palms here, I could see a successful Phoenix hybrid taking over alot of wetter areas in FL. (yes, contrary to popular belief, ALL date palm species set very viable seed here in central Florida anyway, just not particularly tasty.)

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Really cool pics Bo, but it is almost too much of a monoculture.. Probably not a healthy thing for the natives. When I speak of naturalization here, it is not too that extent. Syagrus, Phoenix and Washingtonia have a definite foothold here, but there is no danger of them taking over the world (like your pics!) yet. But, heck, who knows. Maybe something will take over. Obvious threats would be other Sabal species.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Or maybe other Sabals are not really a threat because they would get hybridized into oblivion by the incredible abundance of native sabals ???

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Our forests are littered with livistona chinensis (Alot), sabal bermudana(Alot), washingtonia robusta(Alot), thrinax radiata(somewhat), phoenix dactylifera(somewhat) and  phoenix reclinata (alot).  I'm also beginning to see a few Roystonea regia popping up through the brush.

Mike F

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

Actually, all those A. alexandrae are growing on very steep slopes, where erosion probably would be a problem. I have no idea what grew there before these palms were introduced almost 100 years ago. But even if you do see them all over the place, they are much more spread out (i.e. a few here and there), and the only places where you really see massive amounts are in these deep and steep gulches, so I don't believe they are in the process of invading native forests here on a massive scale. Other plants, such as Tibouchina and the Strawberry Guava have done a good job of that...

lthough, with all the intersting hybridization that must be happening with the date palms here, I could see a successful Phoenix hybrid taking over alot of wetter areas in FL. (yes, contrary to popular belief, ALL date palm species set very viable seed here in central Florida anyway, just not particularly tasty.)

Same happens here, all viable seeds but the fruits don't mature properly. Might need cooler weather. And your right,  wetter parts of Florida might get invaded by some phoenix species. Phoenix reclinata is actually running rampanting in one of our larger marshes, Devonshire marsh.

Mike F

Michael Ferreira

Good topic,

As I posted earlier this week there are many "exotics" that are now established on O`ahu.

Exotic Palm in Waiawa`iki

In the future I'll be exploring in the same valley, going deeper, also into the one to the north.

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Bo, Strawberry guavas are a good thing! I've been tryign to get my hands on one for quite some time although, I do know they are here.  Feel free to send one over! Anybody find Paw Paw trees invasive? They shoot up everywhere.

I see Ptychosperma elegans becoming naturalised here as well.

Mike F

Michael Ferreira

before anybody hammers me, sabal mexicana is native, we just dont get all that much volunteer seedlings from it as we do washies.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

(Palm Guy @ Nov. 24 2007,22:49)

Bo, Strawberry guavas are a good thing! I've been tryign to get my hands on one for quite some time although, I do know they are here.  Feel free to send one over! Anybody find Paw Paw trees invasive? They shoot up everywhere.

I see Ptychosperma elegans becoming naturalised here as well.

Mike F

Your pattern of naturalization sounds more like south FL. Actually, I am surprised that Livastona is not more prevalent in the forests here. Maybe they just don't like the soil here, or else the critters don't like thier fruit.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Palms I predict to become naturalized:

Bismarkia nobilis - Yes! It loves it here. Just have to wait to see if some of the local fauna care to distribute the seeds once palms begin to reach fruiting age.

Livastona species - I guess we just have to wait for some animal to spread the seeds.

Well, I can't think of any more sure survivors and reproducers here. Maybe D. lutescens and R. regia/elata could make a go of it here if the weather stays decent for 50 years at a time. R. regia/elata is well established just 10 to 15 miles south of me (in Manatee county on the close to Tampa Bay)!!!! What a tease!! Groves of R. regia/elata exist on I-275 south of the bay..But not more than a mile inland.....

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Well, Strawberry guavas are definitely not a good thing here! There must be tens of thousands of them in the forest next to us, and I've done my share by cutting down as many as I possibly can, but it's a drop in the bucket. I primarily cut them down if they're in the way for something I want to do, like build a trail thru the forest, or plant palms in a particular area, in which case they all  beat the dust. The thinner ones are easy to take down with a machete, but some of them can be 30-40 ft tall and with a 10-12 inch diameter at the base. And the wood is HARD!! And that's when the chainsaw comes in handy! Clearing them out is major satisfaction! :D

(bgl @ Nov. 25 2007,00:17)

Well, Strawberry guavas are definitely not a good thing here! There must be tens of thousands of them in the forest next to us, and I've done my share by cutting down as many as I possibly can, but it's a drop in the bucket. I primarily cut them down if they're in the way for something I want to do, like build a trail thru the forest, or plant palms in a particular area, in which case they all  beat the dust. The thinner ones are easy to take down with a machete, but some of them can be 30-40 ft tall and with a 10-12 inch diameter at the base. And the wood is HARD!! And that's when the chainsaw comes in handy! Clearing them out is major satisfaction! :D

Bo,

Many of the "green" people are against the Strawberry Guava as it does take over large areas.  But.....

I you are a hiker you have to love them.  The provide free food on the trail, something sold to hold onto going up or down steep muddy or dry slopes.  Also in areas where we need ropes to make these steep slopes less dangerous the is nothing better than just about any kind of guava to tie off your rope.  They have wonderful strong root systems.

Me I love all guava's, I do agree though that cutting a path through them is a lot of work.

Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes

Quiet different to these other experiences; here it varies in different areas.

Near Suva there are many wild Pinanga kuhlii in the bush.

On Taveuni Island there are Roystonea regia in the bush.

Near the coast in Nadi area are large stands of Phoenix maybe dactylilfera or sylvestris.

Around all the coconut plantations are wild cocoa and guava which were introduced a century  back to try to start another export crop. Also wild vanilla vine can be found in the bush along with Nutmeg trees.

Also there is probably much more that I have not seen in areas that I have not visited.

Jim

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

In San Diego with our limited rain, naturalization is not really seen.  In some canyon areas where there is a bit of normal water runoff, I've seen several  areas where Phoenix canariensis have seeded and "downstream" five to ten additional trees have grown.  But, if you look at the various older gardens among collectors and in some botanical gardens here, there are always lots of seedlings of many species coming up.  These gardens are, of course, watered on a regular basis.  But we have nothing like Bo showed in HI.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Mathason Hammock is a native tropical hardwood park located adjacent and across the road from Fairchild Gardens in Coral Gables Fla. on Old Cutler Road. Paul Drummond's old place used to be on the southeast side of the 100+ acre park. There were several native palms growing in the park....Serenoa, cocothrinax, Sabals, and a few Royals. Back in the 60's there used to be native orchids and several species of rare ferns and bromeliads growing in the park.

Before Hurricane Andrew Ptychosperma elegans and some fishtails had started to grow and naturalize throughout the park, also a few African Oil palms. The parrots from Parrot Jungle used to be released every day and they would visit Fairchild, then visit Mathason Hammock and drop palm seeds. There were many days when I used to see half a dozen McCaws land in Paul's tall palm trees.

The park was pretty well trashed by Hurricane Andrew and most of the paths were blocked by fallen trees. They sent in unskilled work crews to clear the park and they were told to remove all non-native palms. Not only did they remove the non natives, but also many of the natives. A pity, since the Ptychospermas and fishtails added a little tropical touch to the park and they weren't really getting out of hand.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Ptychosperma elegans pops up everywhere in Dade Co metro areas, though I'd figure cold would limit its westward and northward spread. Sort of surprised it hasn't been restricted yet.

Phoenix reclinata is definitely a problem where it's near water, less so in dry areas. A real pain to remove, so to speak.

I had heard about Livistonia chinensis being problematic in FL, but I haven't seen many volunteers. Same for Washingtonia robusta--nothing like it is in CA!

Syagrus romanzoffianum, IMO, is a real pest in Central FL. I was amazed by the number of volunteers in the Largo area, and to a lesser extent in Winter Park (Orange Co) escaping into forested areas. I'm a little surprised that the state hasn't stepped in to restrict it, esp. along the Central Coast. Maybe they're figuring a good (??) freeze will knock the populations off? I figure the increased alkalinity of SoFla keeps them from volunteering to any extent here.

I agree that Bismarckia shows some potential for escape in SoFla, though so far, the only seedlings I've seen are beneath parent trees. Maybe the seeds are too large for any transporting fauna to move?

As for non-palm species, the chief tree-sized invaders near me are, of course, Melaleuca quinquenervia, Schinus terebinthifolius, Casuarina equisitifolia, Acacia auriculiformis, and to a much smaller extent, Hibiscus tiliaceus.

BTW, Bo, great (??) shot of the Archontophoenix there...

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

(WaianaeSteve @ Nov. 25 2007,01:06)

(bgl @ Nov. 25 2007,00:17)

Bo,

Many of the "green" people are against the Strawberry Guava as it does take over large areas.  But.....

I you are a hiker you have to love them.  The provide free food on the trail, something sold to hold onto going up or down steep muddy or dry slopes.  Also in areas where we need ropes to make these steep slopes less dangerous the is nothing better than just about any kind of guava to tie off your rope.  They have wonderful strong root systems.

Me I love all guava's, I do agree though that cutting a path through them is a lot of work.

I have Strawberry Guava that I purposely planted for the fruit. The problem in South Florida is that virtually every fruit is invested with the caribbean fruit fly. The ripe and even near ripe fruit almost always has a one or more white grubs in it, disgusting!. I am thinking about ripping it out and planting something more useful.

Hot and humid Loxahatchee Florida. 16 miles inland from

West Palm Beach in Palm Beach County

I too love strawberry guava and have them growing in my garden...very tasty fruit. As for naturalizers are concerned, the most common is Phoenix canariensis. They seem to pop up everywhere there is a parent tree nearby. Washingtonias are sprouting along most freeways here and Brahea edulis germinate easily wherever I see parent trees. I'm suprised queen palms aren't seen popping up more often. My seeding queens always have babies coming up underneath them by the hundreds. Same goes for Trachycarpus!

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

(Mark@PalmBeach @ Nov. 25 2007,21:05)

I have Strawberry Guava that I purposely planted for the fruit. The problem in South Florida is that virtually every fruit is invested with the caribbean fruit fly. The ripe and even near ripe fruit almost always has a one or more white grubs in it, disgusting!. I am thinking about ripping it out and planting something more useful.

The all have grubs in them here on O`ahu also.  But who looks?  They taste to good to care   :D

Fast feat, according to John Dransfield, Bismarckia nobilis had been probably dispersed by Aepyornis maximus, the large extinct "elephant bird" from Madagascar. Bismarckia is now being dispersed by introduced livestock. You would need free-ranging cattle in Florida to make Bismarckia invasive!

Bismarckia is a lucky one - other large-seeded species from Madagascar, such as Voanioala and Lemurophoenix, are not being dispersed at all, since the large fauna became extinct and populations are declining.

This is an excerpt from a work about Palms and Islands that I published a few years ago. This is the part about documented cases of exotic palms spreading on different islands of the world. It is in Spanish, but I am sure you can at least catch names of palms and places. The full text in PDF is located at: http://webpages.ull.es/users....03.pdf.

En Antigua, Phoenix reclinata (nativa de África y Madagascar) se ha adueñado de parte del centro de la isla, formando una población densa e impenetrable. La presencia de esta especie en la isla está reportada desde 1864. Mientras esta especie armada avanzaba, la especie nativa e inerme Coccothrinax barbadensis ha llegado cerca del límite de la extinción local por no resistir a la presión del ganado introducido (Morici, 1997).

El proyecto «Hawaiian Ecosystems at Risk» (HEAR, 2003) indica que lassiguientes arecáceas, introducidas para fines ornamentales, están hoycausando problemas en el archipiélago: Washingtonia filifera y W. robusta(norteamericanas) tienden a extenderse cerca de la zonas de plantación.En Maui, donde son comunes ornamentales de áreas urbanas, se ven dispersadas por aves y se han establecido en zonas costeras donde forman grupos densos. Expone también que Livistona chinensis (SE de Asia, continental e insular) se ha naturalizado en Oahu y Maui. Tiende a quedarse cerca de las zonas de plantación, pero aparece a lo largo de barrancos ylugares húmedos a menos de una milla de los lugares de plantación. No coloniza las zonas de mayor altitud. La misma especie está causando problemas en Florida (USA). Archontophoenix alexandrae se ha extendido agresivamente en la isla de Hawai por el bosque húmedo secundario de tierras bajas. Es muy densa a lo largo de carreteras, barrancos y arroyos. En Maui, A. alexandrae aparece esporádicamente naturalizada en puntos aislados(HEAR, 2003).

El proyecto «Pacific Island Ecosystems at Risk» (PIER, 2003) relata, para Micronesia, que en Guam, Heterospathe elata (Centro Malasia hasta NW Pacífico) sigue extendiéndose por barrancos y laderas. Elaeis guineensis (pal-mera del aceite, africana) se está extendiendo en Pohnpei, sobre todo enzonas áridas. También el PIER (2003) indica que para la Polinesia francesa se reporta Licuala grandis (de Salomón y Vanuatu) asilvestrada en parcelas aisladas, pero potencialmente invasora. Otras invasoras potenciales, según la misma fuente son: Roystonea oleracea (de Venezuela y Antillas Menores) en Wairiu y Wagatora (de Salomón) y Caryota mitis (de Indochina yMalasia) en Australia. Pritchardia pacifica, originaria de Fiji y Tonga, es considerada exótica y asilvestrada en las Islas Torres de Vanuatu en bosques costeros de poca altura, degradados, sobre roca caliza, arena y suelos en-charcados (Dowe & Caballion, 1996).

En Canarias, además del mencionado problema de hibridación causa-do por las Phoenix no nativas, se está observando en los últimos años unasilvestramiento conspicuo de Washingtonia spp. en las zonas costeras dela vertiente sur de Tenerife. Las plantas germinan a varias docenas de me-tros de las madres, sobre todo en zonas alteradas, bordes de carretera y fondos de barranco. Invaden agresivamente los reductos de flora nativa cercanos a los cultivos y los campos de golf, donde aprovechan las sobrasde los riegos.

En Madagascar tres especies Cocos nucifera, Raphia farinifera y Elaeis guineensis que hoy forman poblaciones en la isla, son consideradas «probablemente introducidas» (Dransfield y Beentje, 1995). En Mayotte (Como-res), Areca catechu está naturalizada a lo largo de un arroyo (Ludwig 1999).

About 5 types of Chamaedorea, Phoenix, Queen palms and Washingtonia.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Here at my place, between Hilo and Bo's garden,  on just three acres I have naturalized A. alexandrae, C. nucifera, and Livistona chinensis.  Some adonidias and pygmy date palms have come in from seeds of neighborhood plants and can almost be a weed pest for me.  Many of my own palms drop seeds to the point that I consider their offspring to be weeds.  Years ago I could not imagine pulling out some of the rare ones as weeds and consigning them to the compost heap.  But when no local growers want any more seed or seedlings what else is there to do without all the shipping red-tape required these days?

garrin in hawaii

Today, in Southwest Louisiana I know of no palms naturalizing, other than the Sables which are native.  But, it has not traditionally been a popular spot for palms either.  With all of the new ones being introduced, in years to come, maybe.  Also, with the Hurricanes of 2005 (Katrina and Rita) it will be interesting to watch in the next few years.  I am sure that seeds were dispersed and planted in those events via wind and water over very large areas.   Of course if they do start to pop up here and there, someone will likely call them invasive and then launch an all our war to eliminate them from landscape.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Bill,

Many Phoenix hybrids are naturalized at Ft. Desoto Park in St. Petersburg.  They naturalize very easily in those types of dry conditions too.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

A state park here in North Florida has had a problem with Butia capitata naturalizing in its boundaries.  They have a population of a couple hundred generated from several landscape trees that were planted while the property was still privately owned.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Aside from what everyone has mentioned about invasives in south Florida, I want to add St. Augustine grass.  I hate the stuff!  It crawls over everything!

And when I was visiting my sister in Austin, Texas, she was telling me about the cedars that have invaded the natural areas in Texas.  They suck up all the water and the native flora dies out.  She says that many of the environmentists don't want them removed.  I like to think of my self as an environmentalist and I am for removing non-natives that pose a threat or problem for native flora and fauna.  Why else would I be spending so much time and energy on ridding my yard of Australian pines, melaleuca, and Brazilian pepper?

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

I spotted what look to be feral royal palms in what appeared to be a bit of wet forest on the west side of I-95 in Broward County (south of Ft Lauderdale), Florida.  They are known to pop up in natural areas in Miami-Dade County.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

(palmmermaid @ Nov. 28 2007,08:22)

Aside from what everyone has mentioned about invasives in south Florida, I want to add St. Augustine grass.  I hate the stuff!  It crawls over everything!

Kitty, SA grass is a FL native, it occurs naturally in wet hammock and forested areas.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Around here this is what I have seen naturalize;

Livistona chinensis- it loves shady moist or wet locations

Phoenix reclinata/hybrids

Syagrus romanzoffiana

Washingtonia robusta

Acrocomia totai (near parent plants)

These next 3 palms have been popping up throughout Leu Gardens in small numbers, but not to the extant of being a pest;

Arenga engleri

Chamaedorea microspadix

Caryota mitis

I have been finding quite a few seedlings of Chamaedorea cataractarum in a swampy part of the Garden

At the FIT campus in Melbourne (FL), Elaeis guineensis is naturalizing in the swampy area, at least the last time I was there. The 2 parent plants are growing next to a building and the seed falls down over the drop into the wet area.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I found my photos. I seriously doubt Bismarckia will become a pest but if a male and female tree close to each other it can produce a good number of fertile seed.

These photos are at the Edison Bot. Garden in Ft. Myers, FL. There is a male tree behind the female. Look at the base at all the seedlings. I had never seen that before.

adf5.jpg

aa31.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

The usual, Cyrtostachys renda , Pinanga caesia  and disticha, Licuala mapu and radula, not to mention the bloody Johannesteijsmannias and the Lemurophoenix palms, they're all over the ruddy place, damn pests.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

You forgot Lodoicea.

In our area (Northern California) it is usually pretty easy to handle palms that might naturalize up here but there are a couple of them that migh be a problem in the near future.

Queen palms are the landscaper's choice here. Many of them (maybe even most of them) have been planted within the past 5 years. People are still buying by the gross at HD or lowe's and continuing the trend.

Now some of these are beginning to seed. There is a lot of grazing land out here that may be condusive to their needs. I'll go out on a limb (even though they have no limb) and predict that Syagrus romanzoffiana will be naturalized in Northern California within the next 10 years.

Not so quick, but maybe as troublesome is Phoenix Canariensis. I was at the Byron Hot Springs today and saw at least 100 volunteers from 1 to 10 feet tall on the site. these may also naturalize around here, too bad the real date plam won't.......

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

When I was living in Northern California there were very large groupings of W. Robusta  next to freeways under powerline poles.  There was one area on highway 4 where there must have been 20 to 30, palms from sizes of a few feet to about 10 feet. The utility workers wacked them down every now and then.

Here in Loxahatchee, I don't see much naturalization other than the natives, but I do have Chamaedoreas popping up in the moist shaded areas of my yard.

Hot and humid Loxahatchee Florida. 16 miles inland from

West Palm Beach in Palm Beach County