IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Looking for some Suggestions...

epicure3

I am looking to plant some hedges along my wall facing the street where I live. Currently, it is just weeds with some random ground cover here and there.

I am looking for something a little different than your standard SD tract home landscaping items. So, that means no dwarf schefflera, pittosporum, tecomaria, escalonia, bird of paradise, Pride of Madeira, etc....

In addition, I want to keep it somewhat low and pretty uniform to please the wife. I have enough hibiscus, so I don't want to do that either.

Really, I have no ideas and am looking for some.

It obviously would have to be something that does well here in the coastal areas of San Diego. I'd love to do a whole wall of crotons, but they are pretty marginal and I'd be hard pressed to get a 40 ft. hedge row out of it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Oh....it's full sun the entire day and pretty warm south facing spot.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

How about Michelia?  It can be nicely trimmed as a brush.  It is evergreen in SoCal and the fragrant flowers on the alba produce most of the year.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

How about some of the alocasia's? I have one of the larger species - might be calodora, cant remember. THey form a trunk and pup. Mine fill in pretty qick and I have to chop pups off every year. I could easily turn them into a hedgerow. Maybe mix in some Ti's for color??

Laguna Niguel, CA

(jenks @ Nov. 12 2007,18:22)

How about some of the alocasia's? I have one of the larger species - might be calodora, cant remember. THey form a trunk and pup. Mine fill in pretty qick and I have to chop pups off every year. I could easily turn them into a hedgerow. Maybe mix in some Ti's for color??

Yo John:

Not a bad idea.

Do they go dormant in the winter? I have some alocaisa (of course, it might be colocasia) that almost disappears in the winter and I have some that stick around and look fine.

Thanks

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Do you want it to be more drought resistant, or dependent on lots of irrigation?  Not uncommon in San Diego, but just as colorful as any Croton, would be a hedge of Euphorbia tirucallii 'Sticks on Fire'.  Larger growing, but also pretty drought tolerant and lots of foliage color; Euphorbia continiifolia.  A hedge of Grevillea 'Robyn Gordon' or G. 'Superb' could also give lots of color all year round.  Euphorbia lambii could be an elegant hedge which would look more like miniature trees, and so different from most other Euphorbias.  Grewia caffra would make a nice clipped hedge with virtual year round bloom, and a more green, manicured appearance than the others, especially if grown as a clipped espalier.  Or how about a hedge of Strelitzia juncea, underplanted with Senecio serpens as a ground cover.  Adenanthos sericea could also look great, especially if you like silvery foliage and red blooms.  Metrosideros collina 'Tahiti' could also give you silvery foliage and red blooms all year long.

None of these plants are particularly rare in San Diego, but perhaps are not as overplanted everywhere as the first ones you listed.  I would tend to stay away from the more water loving stuff for a hot wall, unless you don't mind an ever increasing water bill...

None of mine go dormant - not the Alocasia's I have anyways.

Here is a pic of the one I am thinking of - Sold to me as Alocasia 'calidora' Pretty bulletproof here. Full sun and exposure to wind. Looking a little ratty here due to lack of watering for that month combined with some warm temps.

1991706996_b467a57e53.jpg

Alocasia macrorrhizos (that's what it was sold to me as) is pretty cool too - much smaller though. You can kinda see one of the trunks to the right of this foxtail below and middle left in the pic above

1352870387_6439cbe34f.jpg

Laguna Niguel, CA

(bahia @ Nov. 12 2007,19:12)

Do you want it to be more drought resistant, or dependent on lots of irrigation?  Not uncommon in San Diego, but just as colorful as any Croton, would be a hedge of Euphorbia tirucallii 'Sticks on Fire'.  Larger growing, but also pretty drought tolerant and lots of foliage color; Euphorbia continiifolia.  A hedge of Grevillea 'Robyn Gordon' or G. 'Superb' could also give lots of color all year round.  Euphorbia lambii could be an elegant hedge which would look more like miniature trees, and so different from most other Euphorbias.  Grewia caffra would make a nice clipped hedge with virtual year round bloom, and a more green, manicured appearance than the others, especially if grown as a clipped espalier.  Or how about a hedge of Strelitzia juncea, underplanted with Senecio serpens as a ground cover.  Adenanthos sericea could also look great, especially if you like silvery foliage and red blooms.  Metrosideros collina 'Tahiti' could also give you silvery foliage and red blooms all year long.

None of these plants are particularly rare in San Diego, but perhaps are not as overplanted everywhere as the first ones you listed.  I would tend to stay away from the more water loving stuff for a hot wall, unless you don't mind an ever increasing water bill...

I'm going to check into some of those. I'll probably pass on the s. juncea...I'm just not a big fan. Also, I have a street with a lot of small kids, so the euphorbia may not be a good idea. Thanks very much.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

(happ @ Nov. 12 2007,18:16)

How about Michelia?  It can be nicely trimmed as a brush.  It is evergreen in SoCal and the fragrant flowers on the alba produce most of the year.

Thanks, Happ. Those look awesome but I have a 20 ft michelia alba nearby so I'm looking for something a little different.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

(Gonzer @ Nov. 12 2007,18:19)

Pittosporum tenuifolia 'Silver Queen' and 'Silver Sheen' are stunning plants. Manageable and good looking.

Nice idea, I'll look into that though I see pittosporum all over the place. Maybe not that cultivar though. Thanks, mucho.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Many choices already posted are pretty good. Here are a few I like:

Variegated Japanese Pittosporum (Pittosporum tobira) - Common, but great for highlighting purples and reds. I use to hate this plant but after spending time in a few tropical spots, I noticed it is used a lot at hotels. Took their idea and love it.

Another common one, but overlooked a lot is Escallonia 'Compakta'. This is the most used plant for me for hedging. It can be keep low and fits well in a tropical landscape.

Various Nandina's. Small would be Dwarf Nandina (Nandina domestica). Larger would be Nandina 'Plum Passion'. These do not make formal hedges, but can be planted in mass.

One that I just started trying that I do not see in SoCal but it tropical looking is Philippine Violet (Barleria cristata). It is dense and flowers spring through fall.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

If you decide to go with the Alocasia look, you might also want to consider Colocasia fontanesii.  It stays up year round, looks great in sun or shade, and spreads pretty quickly, but not quickly enough to be invasive.

San Fernando Valley, California

(Peter @ Nov. 12 2007,21:45)

If you decide to go with the Alocasia look, you might also want to consider Colocasia fontanesii.  It stays up year round, looks great in sun or shade, and spreads pretty quickly, but not quickly enough to be invasive.

Awesome. Thank-you.

Just where do I find these different varieties of alocasia?

Any idea?

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Here's a nutty thought. What about Scaevola Taccada?....beach naupaka.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

(epicure3 @ Nov. 12 2007,22:25)

Here's a nutty thought. What about Scaevola Taccada?....beach naupaka.

Don't know how that Scaevola will do out in CA.

How about Thevetia peruviana? Will thin out the stupid kids who eat it though...

Hamelia patens is common in FL but also does well in CA. Finding it there may be difficult though.

Jasminum nitidum (Angelwing Jasmine) can make a good, fragrant, low hedge with a little work.

If I can think of more, I'll post later.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Jenks, I never thought alocasia would do so well in full sun  ???  how did they hold-up during summer 2006?  Was macrorrhizos sold as "New Guinea Gold"?

epicure

Scaevola taccada sounds great [had to look it up; have you seen it in Cali?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Shrubby types:

Acacia merinthophora has zigzag branches and weeping habit

Banksias are worth trying for the flowers alone.

Lots of Coprosma cutilvars have shiny colorful leaves and are very tough.

Michelia yunnanensis is a sprawling shrub with fragrant spring flowers.

Grassy types:

Otatea acuminata is the Mexican Weeping Bamboo with beautiful form, also very drought tolerant.

Cannomois virgata, a giant restio from South Africa, will need some TLC but a row of these will impress your most jaded garden friend.

Setarea palmifolia needs a bit of shelter, but looks just like palm seedlings.

New Bambusas(B. eutuldoides Vridivittata & B. pervariabilis Viridistriata) have brightly variegated culms similar to Bambusa vulgaris Vittata, but are much smaller in size.

Fragrant Hill Design

www.fragranthill.com

Mountain View, California

Another good fine-textured, fragrant shrub is Murraya paniculata, underused, IMO, as a hedge/screen.

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

How about silver buttonwood?  Drought tolerant, salt tolerant, great silvery color, great forms, great bark for mounting orchids and bromeliads.

I also like bamboo muhly grass - Muehlynbergia bambusa.  It stays low - about 3 feet - mounds over and has a great look.  I like the grasses.  I think they are underused in landscapes.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

(palmmermaid @ Nov. 13 2007,07:23)

How about silver buttonwood?  Drought tolerant, salt tolerant, great silvery color, great forms, great bark for mounting orchids and bromeliads.

I also like bamboo muhly grass - Muehlynbergia bambusa.  It stays low - about 3 feet - mounds over and has a great look.  I like the grasses.  I think they are underused in landscapes.

Silver buttonwood won't take the cold, wet Winters of SoCal unfortunately. But a good, silvery substitute would be Leucophyllum frutescens (Texas Ranger). It's drought tolerant and comes in several flower colors.

_____

These are all awesome suggestions. And THANKS  :P for taking the time. Now, there's waaay too much stuff to choose from.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

John, how about Caeselpinia pulchurrima (sorry, wrong spelling)?  I think you could actually use a hedge trimmer on it to give a clean, formal look during non flowering times.  They don't need a lot of water and do good in sun.

post--1194980366_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(MattyB @ Nov. 13 2007,10:59)

John, how about Caeselpinia pulchurrima (sorry, wrong spelling)?  I think you could actually use a hedge trimmer on it to give a clean, formal look during non flowering times.  They don't need a lot of water and do good in sun.

Matt, Toni wanted me to tell you he thinks your idea stinks.

-------------

In all seriousness, they will drop leaves during cold snaps and they do not hedge well. Plus they like a lot of training to avoid being leggy. John, I have some seedlings of "Sunset" - red/yellow/orange, "Aurea" - yellow and "Rosea" - pink. I could part with a few for free if you wanted to try some. They need full sun and they are drought tolerant once established.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Ficus benjamin is used extensively in South Florida as a hedge and I have seen numerous Benjamin's in pictures in California and Arizona. Would it not work in San Diego as a hedge?

What you look for is what is looking

(bubba @ Nov. 13 2007,14:44)

Ficus benjamin is used extensively in South Florida as a hedge and I have seen numerous Benjamin's in pictures in California and Arizona. Would it not work in San Diego as a hedge?

This tree will get very big with invasive roots.  I'm sure the area between his wall and the sidewalk is not big enough for the roots.

:)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(MattyB @ Nov. 13 2007,13:59)

I love that plant but it is deciduous here along the coast and has been an unreliable bloomer for me to-boot. I do love that plant.......I saw one that was almost tree size down in Cabo last year. Nice.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

What about a smattering of different Cordyline australis colors.  They'll do great in sun and they've got a really nice one with red petioles now.   You can plant a 99 cent store size plant and in 1 year it'll be the size of the 2 gallons at home depot.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(LJG @ Nov. 13 2007,14:20)

(MattyB @ Nov. 13 2007,10:59)

Matt, Toni wanted me to tell you he thinks your idea stinks.

-------------

In all seriousness, they will drop leaves during cold snaps and they do not hedge well. Plus they like a lot of training to avoid being leggy. John, I have some seedlings of "Sunset" - red/yellow/orange, "Aurea" - yellow and "Rosea" - pink. I could part with a few for free if you wanted to try some. They need full sun and they are drought tolerant once established.

Len...that's nice of you, thanks but you'd probably be wasting it on me as mentioned in my previous post....they are unreliable bloomers for me and go deciduous even in normal coastal situations (at least for me). Nice offer though!!

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

(BigFrond @ Nov. 13 2007,15:11)

(bubba @ Nov. 13 2007,14:44)

This tree will get very big with invasive roots.  I'm sure the area between his wall and the sidewalk is not big enough for the roots.

That would be correct. They grow just fine here, but they want to be trees. The space is not big enough to accomodate the roots of the ficus. Too bad, b/c I love the look of a neatly kept ficus hedge.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

(happ @ Nov. 12 2007,23:31)

Jenks, I never thought alocasia would do so well in full sun  ???  how did they hold-up during summer 2006?  Was macrorrhizos sold as "New Guinea Gold"?

epicure

Scaevola taccada sounds great [had to look it up; have you seen it in Cali?

Happ, I haven't seen that variety of scaevola in SoCal. I saw it for the first time in the Bahamas this year. That's never stopped me before. :cool:

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Instead of a hedge, you can plant a vine that clings on your wall and saving some space for your for more planting.  There is a specific ficus vine (I forgot the name) with thick leaves that is sooooo nice.  It will take a couple of years for the leaves to get big.  There are no massive roots.  You can see this vine on Leucadia Ave on the big wall on the left after the golf course.

ficus pumila

http://images.google.com/imgres?....rl=http

http://vtgcrec.ifas.ufl.edu/pages....ila.JPG

(daxin @ Nov. 12 2007,23:37)

Shrubby types:

Acacia merinthophora has zigzag branches and weeping habit

Banksias are worth trying for the flowers alone.

Lots of Coprosma cutilvars have shiny colorful leaves and are very tough.

Michelia yunnanensis is a sprawling shrub with fragrant spring flowers.

Grassy types:

Otatea acuminata is the Mexican Weeping Bamboo with beautiful form, also very drought tolerant.

Cannomois virgata, a giant restio from South Africa, will need some TLC but a row of these will impress your most jaded garden friend.

Setarea palmifolia needs a bit of shelter, but looks just like palm seedlings.

New Bambusas(B. eutuldoides Vridivittata & B. pervariabilis Viridistriata) have brightly variegated culms similar to Bambusa vulgaris Vittata, but are much smaller in size.

Hi Daxin:

Interesting options. I checked into the Coprosma and they are cool. Some of the coprosma repens cultivars are awesome looking. That may be the one!!

Thanks....never would have come up with that.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

DYPSIS BARONII!

No, not fast, but well worth the wait.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's some from my roof, off to the right.

post-1-14207-ROOF_8_glaucas__baronii_and_rhapis.JPG

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

And some more:

post-1-14342-ROOF_11_baronii.JPG

Thanks, Dave. But, my wife Terri says that if I plant any more palms, she's going to drive to your house and jump off your roof. Since you're an attorney, you probably don't want that kind of liability.

Me? I would probably have a whole row of dypsis lutescens as my hedge.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter