IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Colin's palm collecing in California

Kamipalms

A very good friend, Colin Wilson ( aka palmsforpleasure) is headed for California on a Chamaedorea collecting mission.

He will arrive in San Francisco around the 27th of August and making his way south to LA , collecting every live "rare" Chamaedorea on his way.

The problem is there aren't that many to collect and to make Colin's time and effort worth while, we need MORE!

So, if you may know of any plants that would fit the bill, we would love to hear from you.

Hopefully , Colin can pick up a "prepaid" cell phone to use while he's out and about , if so, we can post the number here for you to contact him directly.

Colin's invested quite a few $$$ in this mission so it would be great if anyone could help out , even if you only know of something of intrest.

Colin will depart LA on the 6th of September, hopefuly with truck load of live plants.

Thanks in advance,

Jason.

Made the move to Mandurah - West Aust

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

Sorry kamipalms   :(

I know people who grow them commercially if that would help.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Hi happ,

Any idea on what's available?

Species like C.macrospadix ( not microspadix) C.whitelockiana or even  C.stricta would be very interesting.....if we can find any ???

Jason.

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

Hi Jason......

Colin & Denise were at my house on Saturday night for a barbeque - very nice people.... He told me all about his mission in SoCal.... I'm sure there has to be some people down there who can help.. what about Phil (junglemusic)?...

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Ok,   I just got off the phone with Colin - we're seeing them tonight. He asked me to post a message saying that Most of the palms he's attempting to get are for Jason & Daryl :)  .... Also, he does have an american Cell# - unfortunately, it doesn't receive incoming calls yet - not really sure why.  I have his Australian Cell#, but I'm not sure if he wants it posted - I'll ask him.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

As far as commercial nurseries, Jungle Music, JD Andersen, and Ron Lawyer are probably the best bets for rare palms.  I'm sure you've probably already contacted all these guys.  Does Loran Whitelock sell plants?  I think he has quite a few rare Chams in his garden.  I've never met Loran, or I'd give him a call for you...

I wish I could offer more help, but I've never had the money or interest to go after any super rare Chams.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Colin once told me he was a great singer so make sure you get the guitar out Bobby. :D

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(elHoagie @ Aug. 22 2006,02:58)

As far as commercial nurseries, Jungle Music, JD Andersen, and Ron Lawyer are probably the best bets for rare palms.  I'm sure you've probably already contacted all these guys.  Does Loran Whitelock sell plants?  I think he has quite a few rare Chams in his garden.  I've never met Loran, or I'd give him a call for you...

I wish I could offer more help, but I've never had the money or interest to go after any super rare Chams.

Yes , Phil and Jerry have something available for Colin to collect along with another fellow ( he may step forward if he wishes) who has kindly donated a few "rare" Chamaedorea.

Don Hodel is also helping out .

I think in total there are about 6 species pre-arranged for Colin to collect.

I'm sorry, I don't know Ron Lawyer and I have previously been in contact with Loran. He contacted me chasing some seed and after explaining my plants were still too young I never heard from him again. I did try to contact him again but no reply.... Don't get me wrong though, I'm not into rubbishing people I don't know- just stating the facts.

Bobby,

Ask Colin if hes still carying his Turkish keyboard with him?

Jason.

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

UPDATE:

Colin has a new Cell phone now and he asked me to post the Number.....

1-646-409-4013

He can be reached anytime. He's leaving New York tomorrow morning heading out to San Francisco.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Jason,

I have nice one gallon volcanensis if that would be of interest. I know you have the seeds but this would give you something more mature.

I will post a picture tomorrow.

I am also keeping an eye out for one of my tepejilotes that might clump  :P, cause I beleive I have picked seeds from the plant in the botanical building at Balboa park, as mentioned in your thread on such (I have a seed picking permit). Next time I am down that way I will check to see if it is truly a clumper and will get seeds if available.

Joe

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

Hi all

I have found an internet cafe near the airport, missed all the postings, Had a great time in NY , thanks Bobby and Cari. Bobby must win the award as the

person who pushes the boundaries  (in palm growing) the most. He has done a great job with the garden, Cari is a lover of the garden and plants her favourite plants under the palms.

Next weekend we start driving down from San francisco to visit huntington, plus other public gardens, (more suggestions will be welcome) We are also going to jerry and phils nurseries, I do not have a contact no for Ron lawyers nursery so if some one could PM me it would be appreciated. As well as picking up some plants for Jason, Daryl ( Dazzoc)has asked me to pick up some New Caledonian species for him. Would like to meet some Socal members of the board if your time permits. It is always great to meet the faces behind the names. Pm me if you can help me help them, hopefully there might be something left over for me or give me a call on 1 646 409 4013.

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Colin!

Nice to hear from you, mate!

Hmm.  I've heard you like to sing a song or two?

Like what . . . .?

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Nessun Dorma ! :D

Hi Colin,

Nothing like an aussie sense of humour is there. If you see a cheap aloha shirt, I'd appreciate you gathering for me. I'll trade you a palm for it.

Wal

ps: MG is coming (to this board)

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I spoke to Colin this morning, and apparently a lot of the prominent palm people are out of town. He was a bit disappointed that he may not meet anybody off this forum, even though he's in SoCal until the 9th? of Sept.

If you would like to have a chinwag with a colourful character that is always a barrel of laughs, give Col a call on the cell phone number listed above..I'm sure he would be glad to hear from you.

Wal, Colin is going to come up and grace one of our meetings with a presentation on his recent travels!

Daryl.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Excellent, that is bound to be an entertaining night. Damn shame if others don't get to meet Colin.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Excellent, that is bound to be an entertaining night. Damn shame if others don't get to meet Colin.

I second that, Wal..... He is a great guy to hang out with and the SoCal people are missing out....

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Well, after reading those kind words from the board members, all that can be said is, thank  you. Will be  driving towars LA tommorrow arriving sunday, will be visiting huntington and the Cycad place nearby early in the week and will be down im mattyb area around the following weekend hoping to be around san diego in the middle Qauil gardens to see and the Fullerton gardens? catching up with jd, elhoagie, Dave and Matty b. If anyone would like to join my wife and i please give me a ring 1 646 409 4013.

As the official palm courier for the australian board  members it  would be appreciated if you cousld donate some species that jason and daryl are looking for

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

I'd like to report a Colin sighting yesterday at the Huntington - here we see the intrepid explorer scaling a sheer stone outcropping to gather another image for the PACSOA site

colin1.jpg

I get by with a little help from my fronds

Danny, well spotted. I've read this endangered Australian species experiences a general decrease in vigilance when around palmae and that's the only time one can take pictures of it (although almost always from behind).

Cheers, Jan

N48° 19'12.42", E18°06'50.15"

continental climate somewhat moderated by the influence of the mediterranean sea, atlantic ocean and north sea water masses but still prone to arctic blasts from the east as well as hot and dry summers. pushing the limits is exciting.

and, lastly, we have a triple planting of two distinct species - a palm nut plus two palm widows

triple.JPG

Whew!!!!!....... thank god you guys found him..... He escaped from here and he managed to run 3000 miles away.... WOW.. those Australians can run....

post-57-1156997344_thumb.jpg

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Ah, the sig other looks happy you drug her along, Danny. Tell Allie I said hello. Thanks for the pics.

And if I am not mistaken, some of the leaflets in the upper right of the second pic I believe are Amorphophallus titanum.  :D I wish my plant would get that big eventually.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Can he/Is he coming to Florida at all? There might be a few Chams here, I can check.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

(Zac in NC @ Aug. 30 2006,21:09)

Ah, the sig other looks happy you drug her along,

Zac

you're right - I had to drug her!

she just obliged me to remove her image from this post - see what I mean?

(palmazon @ Aug. 31 2006,11:07)

Damn, I'm too late.  The picture was already chopped before I saw it.  Any pictures of the C. radicalis you found there Danny?  Maybe a before and after?

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

(elHoagie @ Sep. 01 2006,01:19)

Any pictures of the C. radicalis you found there Danny?  Maybe a before and after?

ok, spill the beans...

Heard from Colin yesterday, sounds( and looks) like you guys are a bad influence .....

Phone call;

Jason: " Its 3pm here in Perth , whats the time over there Col?"

Colin: "Oh I duno...some time after 2am - but we had a good day. We got this and that and spent $XXXXXXX "

Jason: " you got what?...and spent how much??"

Colin: " off to see Phil and Jerry and catch up wit MattyB soon"

Colin: " just sent another box full of clothes home to make more room for palms. Bought a 3rd suit case to pack the plants in..."

Jason: LOL

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

(Kamipalms @ Sep. 01 2006,10:00)

(elHoagie @ Sep. 01 2006,01:19)

Any pictures of the C. radicalis you found there Danny?  Maybe a before and after?

ok, spill the beans...

Heard from Colin yesterday, sounds( and looks) like you guys are a bad influence .....

Phone call;

Jason: " Its 3pm here in Perth , whats the time over there Col?"

Colin: "Oh I duno...some time after 2am - but we had a good day. We got this and that and spent $XXXXXXX "

Jason: " you got what?...and spent how much??"

Colin: " off to see Phil and Jerry and catch up wit MattyB soon"

Colin: " just sent another box full of clothes home to make more room for palms. Bought a 3rd suit case to pack the plants in..."

Jason: LOL

Jason- Do you think any of us is shocked by this? Of course not! We are all so addicted to this, its not even funny. Hope you get lots of nice goodies out of this.

I know Danny and he can be a bad influence, but man is he fun to be around. You should take a trip to Mexico with him. LOL  :D

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

its gonna be brutal getting back into the US from mexico this weekend--probably 3-4 hour wait at the border.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

just sent another box full of clothes home to make more room for palms

Colin has informed me that he and his wife will, from now on, be traveling completely naked, with only the plants they carry covering them, ala Adam and Eve.  Colin, Paulhonkelapa and myself will be at Jungle Music tomorrow morning if anyone wants to meet Colin the crazy koala!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

MattyB, if you guys would like to swing by my place in San Marcos that would be cool! I have Chamaedorea volcanensis  in 1g that might be of interest. Also, I beleive I have found a clumping C. tepejilote (yep, that's right! well at least it looks like Jason's pictures) in my collection. As well, I have the broad lead C. microspadix, like the ones at Huntington gardens, that I thought Jason was interested in at one time.

Anyway, I am located near restuarant row. Give me a call if you are interested. Hope to see you!

Joe

(760)510-8095

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

(palmazon @ Aug. 31 2006,08:07)

(Zac in NC @ Aug. 30 2006,21:09)

Ah, the sig other looks happy you drug her along,

Zac

you're right - I had to drug her!

Between your avatar and the white box you went to the Huntington with, I bet you guys stood out a bit!!!  :laugh:  ???

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

for the record - I'm only trying to keep this thread on top while he and the Mrs. are still here

Well, Colin and Denise were spotted in the San Diego area!  We spent the day at Jungle Music, toured Dypsisdean's place, and then had dinner at the Leucadia Pizzeria.  Watch out for Colin though, he's known to drive on the wrong side of the street.  They are absolutely super nice people and we had a blast meeting them.  We might just be making a trip to OZ in the future to go visit them.  Yeah!  oi oi oi or whatever they say over there.

post-126-1157312136_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)