IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A fungus amung us!

Randy

I was enjoying a dip int he pool yesterday and glanced over to at the tunk of one of my Wodyetia's, and noticed a bright yellow mushroom about 1' from the trunk.

I am up on the manganese and magnesium rich palm fertilizer which I'm applying every 3-4 months, but what's a good prectice for avoiding and/or treating fungus?

I'm wondering now if a fungus might have been the culprit responsible for killing the foxtail that was planted just 5' from this one?

I look forward to responses!

Randy

Chandler, Arizona

USDA Hardiness Zone 9b(Warming to 10a)

Lowest Temps (usually) in the upper 20's

(Freeze of '07 lowest temp was 18dF)

Highest temps (usually) in the triple digit teens

I was under the impression that mushrooms were a good indicator of healthy soil conditions, and considering that you're in hot ass Arizona I think that's pretty awesome that you have mushrooms in summer!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(MattyB @ Aug. 17 2006,16:00)

I was under the impression that mushrooms were a good indicator of healthy soil conditions, and considering that you're in hot ass Arizona I think that's pretty awesome that you have mushrooms in summer!

Whereas I was under the impression that fungus was a palms worst enemy- or at least a threat?

Randy

Chandler, Arizona

USDA Hardiness Zone 9b(Warming to 10a)

Lowest Temps (usually) in the upper 20's

(Freeze of '07 lowest temp was 18dF)

Highest temps (usually) in the triple digit teens

There are different kinds of fungus.  The fungus that cause diseases in plants, as far as I know, do not make mushrooms, and they "eat" the plant as parasites.  Mushrooms growing around you palms (i.e. in the dirt) = GOOD.  Fungus growing ON your palms = BAD.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Although if you have kids, make sure they know not to touch and/or eat the mushrooms!  Unlike snakes and spiders, most mushrooms are actually poisonous.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Randy…Matt is correct in that fungi that are deleterious to living tissue  generally do not ‘fruit ‘ far from the trunk of the tree….Ganoderma,  ‘wood rot’ initiating fungi do have fruiting bodies and will do so on the trunk of the tree, generally at a wound…bad news on that score, since there is no remedy

There are root rots that affect palms, Phytopthera and I think three or four others, but generally those are mostly seen on pot culture.

To echo Matt, I would not worry at this point.

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Just a heads up, I've been learning the hard way that the Pytothphera bud rot shows up in younger palms, especially younger ones when they're stressed. I've also read that too much water can do it too, as the roots are efected by this and you're seeing results in the emerging leaf.

Geez, listen to me, some frickin' kid.......uhhhhhh, I read in this book once........

Experience is truly priceless.

Good luck!

Pat

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.