IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pre-1989 Palms/Principes

JimR

I understand that the IPS is in the process of changing the location and how it deals with back issues.  However, I wonder if anyone can tell me whether back issues of the IPS journal (Palms formerly Principes) can be obtained from the IPS (or anyone else) for the volumes prior to 1989?

Jim Robinson

Growing in:

San Antonio, TX Z9a

Key Allegro, TX Z10a

My recent E-mail to the Allen Press about purchasing back issues elicited the reply that all back issues had been purged!  I thought someone else had taken over the back issue issue.  Is there any way to purchase back issues now??

Jim Robinson

Growing in:

San Antonio, TX Z9a

Key Allegro, TX Z10a

Jim,

I would suspect that there will be an anouncement when everything is sorted out. it may take them a while due to the amount of back issues.

Mike

Zone 5? East Lansing MI

• 6 months later...

Just wondering if there was any update on this.

Jim Robinson

Growing in:

San Antonio, TX Z9a

Key Allegro, TX Z10a

I thought I read that all back issues of Principes and Palms would be published on this or another web site with an index so that any subject could be displayed. Am I correct, and if so how is this project coming along?

Dick

Richard Douglas

I too thought I had heard someone was digitizing them, as for the hardcopys, they are still in a warehouse, and man are some of the old ones really cool, I love reading them!!!

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

There is a trail blazing wealth of information in the old issues, but unfortunately many of them are out of print and not available. Digitized Principes and Palms would be invaluable information for all. I just hope the print is easy to read as my eyes aren't what they used to be.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dick you have made an understatement,  it is so cool to look back through the decades and see just how little we actually know, I have learned more latin cross refrencing old names to new and back again, I can remember when my local seed monger first got nannorhops seed...I thought wow this is new....NOT people have had them in production from way back the classifieds in the back are a hoot as well, rare seedlings are still about the same amount of money as they were back in the day.  the photos are really cool, the really HARDCORE  botanical stuff is a little out of my reach

but I can see where it appeals to some, I have used them to locate populations of certain palms in mexico, how to's on germinating certain seeds quite handy.  they are really really neat, and so farm I have only opened 1 out of 7 pallets.!!!

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

If the back issues are ever offered for sale, put me down for 1 set.  I'd love to see them digitized as well, but I would certainly enjoy holding the real things in my hands.

Jim Robinson

Growing in:

San Antonio, TX Z9a

Key Allegro, TX Z10a

(PalmGuyWC @ Oct. 09 2007,19:31)

I thought I read that all back issues of Principes and Palms would be published on this or another web site with an index so that any subject could be displayed. Am I correct, and if so how is this project coming along?

Dick

I read this official announcement here in the board last year and that was one of the reasons I joined IPS as a paying member.  :(  I hope this project could be considered as a priority because I'd love to be able to access the old Palm/Principes issues in IPS website.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Gileno,

Wouldn't we all love to scan an index on a computer to find a subject, instead of digging through stacks of old Principes/Palms. I have a stack of old issues that must be 4 feet thick. I'm sure it must be a monumental project to get all the old issues digitized and indexed. I don't envy the poor person(s) doing it.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Excellent point.  Just scanning the old issues is time consuming but fairly simple.  Indexing them or making them searchable is a much harder (read:  more expensive) proposition.  Personally, I would be ecstatic just to be able to buy a set of old issues in paper form.

Jim Robinson

Growing in:

San Antonio, TX Z9a

Key Allegro, TX Z10a

Personally for me, I bought all the back issues many,many years ago. I'm only missing less then 10 copies I believe. And the IPS did'nt have them. I would much rather have all the issues,or as many as you can, in my possession then having some disc laying around.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Ahhhh, maybe I'm just from the old school.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Over 20,000 back issues are in a where house in South Texas.

The IPS for reasons of liability (?) has given possession of these to Tad. They belong to him. The IPS thanks him, Dial Duncan and Allen Crockett.

These were sent to South Texas at a cost less than what the IPS would have been charged to destroy them. The IPS was being charged over $2000 a year in storage fees and something had to be done.

We will be meeting at the Las Vegas Cafe in Harington Texas next Sat. morning Oct. 19 for breakfast and leave for the storage facility at 9am to come up with a plan of action for distribution. If anyone would like to join please consider this your invitation to breakfast.

The way it looks now we are going to pull as close as we can to 5 complete sets and will be soliciting the missing issues in this forum. The remainder will be packed into 100 + - boxes of 200 copies, each box with as much assortment as possible. These will be offered to IPS affiliate chapters for further distribution.  

All back issues have been scanned and will be on our website in searchable PDF format as a member benefit soon.

John

JCD

South Florida

(Jeff Searle @ Oct. 11 2007,20:26)

Personally for me, I bought all the back issues many,many years ago. I'm only missing less then 10 copies I believe. And the IPS did'nt have them. I would much rather have all the issues,or as many as you can, in my possession then having some disc laying around.

Jeff

Jeff--I agree with you.  I prefer to hold the paper in my hand.

Jim

Jim Robinson

Growing in:

San Antonio, TX Z9a

Key Allegro, TX Z10a

(Redland @ Oct. 12 2007,09:09)

We will be meeting at the Las Vegas Cafe in Harington Texas next Sat. morning Oct. 19 for breakfast and leave for the storage facility at 9am to come up with a plan of action for distribution. If anyone would like to join please consider this your invitation to breakfast.

The way it looks now we are going to pull as close as we can to 5 complete sets and will be soliciting the missing issues in this forum. The remainder will be packed into 100 + - boxes of 200 copies, each box with as much assortment as possible. These will be offered to IPS affiliate chapters for further distribution.  

All back issues have been scanned and will be on our website in searchable PDF format as a member benefit soon.

John

What will happen to the 5 full sets?  Will there be any possibility of purchasing any of these sets or back issues in general?  Failing that, will it be possible to obtain the scanned version on disc?  I do not know if I can get to Harlingen then, but I will try.  BTW, 10/19 is a Friday.

Jim Robinson

Growing in:

San Antonio, TX Z9a

Key Allegro, TX Z10a

Just to confirm what John mentioned in post #15 above, here's Scott Zona's response when I asked him about this:

"Indeed we have ALL articles and issues of Principes/Palms digitized. We have the files digitized as whole issues and as individual articles.  

The exact fate of these digital files has yet to be determined.  We have discussed making them available on the members-only portion of the website, but I don't believe a final decision was made.  The files are here (and backed up onto DVDs) and will be ready once the Board decides on a policy."

Scott has been instrumental in getting this done over the last few years, and when he says "here", he's at Fairchild in Miami. And the IPS Board decision on the future of these DVDs will be in Costa Rica on May 3, 2008.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Hi Bo,

If this project is completed and ready to go, why wait until May, 2008 for the Board to make a decission? There are such things as telephones and E-mails for the Board to communicate and make a decission.

I presume, since this project is/was a Palm Society sponsered endeavor and much time and effort, and maybe money was was put forward, for this project, it should be for Palm Society members only. I'm sure this might not be a popular decission for non Palm Society members, but what incentive would non members have to join the Society with all of this "free" imformation. I'm sure there are pros and cons to both sides of this situation, but since the Palm Society sponsered this project, then everyone who enjoys the fruits of this endeavor should help support it by becoming a member of the Palm Society. Let's remember it takes money to run the Society, and at bargin rates, and it can't just opperate on thin air and good will.

Dick Douglas

Richard Douglas

Bo,

After re-reading your above post, I didn't realize the source of info would be on DVD's. I assumed it would be a web site that could just be pulled up. I'm sure there will be a price to pay for the DVD's, and not everyone would be financially able to do that. It would sure be nice if it were on a web site for PS members only. That way folks would still have an incentive to join the PS.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dick,

Even though a decision has yet to be made, I'm fairly certain that once all this data is made available, it WILL be for IPS members only, and presumably on a members-only section on the IPS website. My knowledge of the technical aspects is rudimentary at best, but I don't believe it's relevant that the data is on DVDs at the present time. I'm sure it can easily be transferred to some other medium, or to the website itself.

As far as making a decision before May 2008, yes, you're of course correct that decisions can be made via e-mail and telephone, but getting the new website up and running has taken quite a bit more time than originally expected. A members-only section is apparently going to take a little bit of additional time, so we may not be ready for another six months anyway! But I'll definitely check into this.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Hi Bo,

Thanks for your response. I was thinking that a members only section might complicate matters. I'm no computer whizz, but I'm sure it could be done and would probably be desirable in the long run.

I'm curious.  Is this strictly a Palm Society project, or is some other institution such as Fairchild Gardens or Montgomery involved also? I can see how this project could become very complicated.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dick - This is 100% IPS. No one else involved.

What will happen to the 5 full sets?  Will there be any possibility of purchasing any of these sets or back issues in general?  Failing that, will it be possible to obtain the scanned version on disc?  I do not know if I can get to Harlingen then, but I will try.  BTW, 10/19 is a Friday.

The 5 sets we pull will not be complete. We will be soliciting the missing issues in this forum. They will be auctioned off? Dean?

I have been asked to cancel this meeting it will be rescheduled stand by.

John

JCD

South Florida

• 1 month later...

Just noticed this topic. If anyone is interested, I have a complete set of Principes ranging from Vol 1, No 1 (Oct 1956) through to Vol 29 No 4 (Oct 1985). Virtually all are in mint condition. After being a member of The Palm Society for many years, I let my membership lapse in 1985. Whilst I have never considered this in the past, If someone feels that they might like to persuade me to part with these rarities, then who knows! Please feel free to contact me on this subject.

UK zone 8b/9a. No heavy frosts. Occasional -6c. Dull wet winters. Cool summers.

• 1 year later...

Bo,

I have two questions that a lot of us might like to know. Is there a time estimate when the digitized Palms and Principes might be available on this web site? Also, what about the roster? I sure miss the printed roster. Liz mentioned to me that we should have our ID # and pass word available in order to scan the old publications. I didn't even know I had an ID # until I just sent in my membership for 2009. Maybe everyone should know they should write down their ID # and password and a heads up might be in order.

Thanks,

Dick

Richard Douglas

I see that Liz did put in a notice to have one's password and I D # available, but I don't think many people read this section of Palm Talk.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dick,

You're probably correct. I did send an e-mail to Liz, asking for more info, but have not heard from her yet. Probably because of the Holidays. Stay tuned...! :)

Bo-Göran

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering if there has been an update regarding the purchasing of Palms Journal back issues? Am am preparing to renew my membership and order Genera P2 and a few other books. I only have 2 years of back issues and would like to collect many more. It would be nice to send one big money order for everything but it appears the back issues are still in limbo? I think digitized form and the paper hard copies are each valuable. The first being convenient and less bulky but not quite the same as holding it in your hands. Remember when the glow of a fireplace rather than that of a monitor used to comfort us in our armchair while reading? And I'm not that old yet, LOL. Anyhow why one or the other when we can have both? Any info on the back issues would be appreciated. Thank you.

I have them stored in a warehouse, pm me with your wants, and I will see what can be done!

Abraham Lincoln

Tad, thanks for responding. I was just about to add my own response, which I will still post. The IPS decided a couple of years ago that keeping thousands of back-issues with Allen Press was turning into a major financial liability. AP charged the IPS for each and every back-issue, each year, and this began to really add up to some real money! We decided that we needed to dispose of them, one way or another. Tad volunteered to accept the shipment from AP in Lawrence, KS, so the back-issues are now his.

Jeff Searle will get his dream edition to complete his set next week!!

Abraham Lincoln

• 4 weeks later...

I am trying to find a seller of back issues of Principes. He has a business selling old, horticultural books and has posted on this forum in the past. I believe his first name is Dennis and that his physical location is somewhere in the Midwest. I tried Google, but got 358,000 hits for 'old horticultural books'. I don't want to actually purchase any Principes, but wish to speak with him about another matter. Many thanks for any assistance in making this connection!

San Francisco, California

Darold,

That's Dennis Johnson. I just sent you an e-mail.

Aloha!

Bo-Göran