IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

International Palm Society

Palmarum

Testing... testing... <taps the microphone> is it working? Hmm... a new sub-forum, very good subject. I have been a member of the IPS since the mid 1980's and I can not imagine what the world of palms would be without it. With over 20 years of informative publications and support of local chapters and societies that I have been a member of, I have always enjoyed hearing about what the IPS will be doing next. How long have you been a member and what have you benefited the most from?

Ryan

South Florida

hi,my name is paul & i'm a palmaholic.

this is my 5th year as a member of the IPS.

the best part for me has been meeting all of you thru this forum & the wealth of information,advice & support that you have all given to me & to each other.

getting misty(sniff,sniff)...

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Ryan,

Thanks for kicking off this new sub-forum with a great topic. First of all, the idea behind this sub-forum (and, BTW, the initial idea came from Sue Rowlands in SoCal) is to have a dedicated place on PalmTalk where we can answer questions about the IPS, provide information in general, and maybe specifically about Biennials and Palms, the quarterly IPS publication, but also anything else that may be relevant. I know there are a few threads under Discussing Palms that are at risk pf being lost in the shuffle there, so we'll move those threads over to this new sub-forum.

Bo-Göran

As far as my own involvement with the IPS, I found out about it (and the Southern California chapter) in early 1991, when I happened to get in touch with Phil Bergman of Jungle Music ("Phil" on the Forum), and he told me about the two organizations. Phil was President of PSSC in SoCal at the time. I joined both organizations at that time, and have been active ever since. Became an IPS Director in 1994 (Biennial in Caracas, Venezuela) and that's been a very interesting and rewarding experience as well. One of the best things about the IPS (like Paul mentioned) has been all these great friendships all over the world, and the PalmTalk forum really extends these connections to a whole new level.

One of my own most intense IPS experiences was May 13, 2004. That was during the IPS Biennial, held here in Hawaii, and on that day, the 200 participants (in 4 buses) visited three gardens: our garden, the Sullivan garden in Kapoho and the Swann garden here in Leilani Estates (the Swanns have since sold their property and are now developing 40 acres up on the Hamakua coast north of Hilo). Anyway, we had 1 bus in the morning, 2 buses for lunch and 1 bus in the afternoon. I gave 3 guided tours that day, and to say that it was a great day would be a major understatement! VERY busy, but great!

Here are a few photos that our daughter, Annika, took that day. First, one of me explaining the Dypsis "Orange crush" (even though we didn't have that name yet!).

post-22-1193615703_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And here's the crowd from my vantage point, standing on a small rockwall, close to our main entrance, and addressing the people who just stepped off the bus. Paul Craft, President of the IPS, is visible almost all the way to the left, and a couple of people over to the right is Horace Hobbs of Houston (in a yellow shirt, with arms crossed). Horace is the current IPS Treasurer.

post-22-1193615877_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And finally, here's John Rees of Camarillo, SoCal (to the left, partially obscured by a Carpoxylon), and just a little bit right of center is Lyle (Chip) Arnold from Poway, SoCal. And that's me all the way to the right, looking away from the camera.

Many of you met Lyle at the recent PSSC meeting in Poway, since his spectacular garden was one of those on that tour.

post-22-1193616081_thumb.jpg

Hello Bo, how have you been? It's very interesting to see & hear your early IPS experiences. I bet these tours had a lot more questions than my visit   :D

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

I believe I joined the IPS in 1989. Because I am in the nursery business, I think I went to my first palm sale in 1989, and then started buying bulk palm seed from Inge Hoffman in California and Paul Craft(our current IPS President). These were really the only two people to buy from back then. I think my first sale that I was a vendor selling palms was in 1990.

My wife and I really enjoy attending the biennials every two years. What I enjoy the most is,is taking the drives out to areas where we can see certain palm species growing in habitat. Get a true feel on how these palms grow and what they like.Also seeing old friends and meeting new ones from all over the world.

But, just the challenges of growing so many palms at the nursery is what keeps me going and motivates me. I still love getting up in the morning and going to work.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

My first involvement with the palm society, although I didn't know it at the time, was sitting in a college world history class, bored out of my wits. It was a cold, blustery March day in Louisville, Kentucky and having just returned from a week basking in the Ft. Lauderdale sun, my mind was wandering. Sitting to my immediate left was a fraternity brother who was just as bored. Being an excellent artist, he was listening, but instead of taking notes was drawing a detailed drawing of Messopotamia, I think. Upon finishing, I took the picture from him and added my own spin on things....I added Phoenix everywhere in the background! HECK! Palms were on my mind!

Fast forward to 1988 when I had since moved to Miami, one of the first people I spoke with was Paul Drummond at another plant sale....I actually forget what it was....although I do know it was not a palm sale. THAT I would have remembered. Paul immediately informed me of the South Florida Chapter of the IPS. He suggested I contact Teddy Buhler to join the IPS...of which I did.

And the rest is history as they say.

I think I can sum it all up by saying "Friends, fronds, travel, and the inherent attraction toward palms really enriches my life.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

I've been a member for about a year. Visiting the forum for over two years (it was a different one back then with a buff colored background). Since then I have learned alot and gained alot of respect for those who make palms their business such as Phil, Jeff, and many others.

The best part though are all of the wonderful people I've met here. It's wonderful be given the chance to talk with others from around the world.

Awesome place! Thanks IPS :D

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

• 2 months later...

BUMP.......

Certainly there are many of you others that have interesting stories to share. Type away. :D

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

The world of palms entered my mind during my first visit to Hawaii in 1998. Although I have gardened most of my life and was aware of palm trees, the bug really hit me during that visit. Not sure as to when I learned of the IPS, but, have been a member about 6 years now. Yes, the info gained is very much needed  since I am a novice. However, I learn fast, thanks to all of the pros on this website.

Thanks to all of you,

Marvin

Waller County, Tx.

• 5 months later...

Hello IPS,

I hereby would like to express my most sincere gratitude and appreciation to all those involved in providing me the tremendous opportunity of participating in this society.

I would like to extend my deepest gratitude and thank once again, both anonymous IPS members for their generosity, which is completely overwhelming.

Thank you for your kindness!

I'm happy and lucky to be among you!

40270.gif

Greetings from Amman/Jordan

Simona

• 10 months later...

I have been member for a very long time, well before our publication name changed to Palms. After attending my first Biennel in 2006 in the Dominican Republic, my realization of what the IPS does increased exponentially. To put faces with names and to finally meet them was incredible. To be hanging out for a week with fellow palmaholics is a feeling I can not describe. Prior to this I was only surrounded by South Florida Palm Society members. To actually find palm lovers from around the globe was very satisfying. The friendships you make and then running into them at some show or sale unexpectedly brings me great joy.

Most members do not realize how dedicated our board members and officers are. These guys and gals work very hard with the betterment of the IPS as their only agenda. I would like to personally express my gratitude to you all! Keep up the excellent work.

Kindest regards,

Ron.

PS - remember to those who volunteer: "no good deed goes unpunished" unfotunately.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B