IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

First Cool Front

NBTX11

Usually the first cool front of the season pushes through sometime in October, dropping overnight lows into the 50s for the first time in about 6 months or more.  So far, no cool fronts, and none projected in the forecast.  Last year it looks like the first front pushed through in mid Oct.  This year we are still in summer mode...so the question is, when will the first real cool front of the fall push through and let us upen our windows at night for the first time.  Everything is still growing like it would in summer...is refreshing air just around the corner...

Oct 07

Hi   Lo

1    90  74  

2    90  74  

3    89  69  

4    89  64  

5    90  66  

6    90  72  

7    88  69  

8    91  75  

9    87  72  

10  90  70

5 day forecast

Tomorrow: Mainly sunny. High 88F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph.

Tomorrow night: Clear skies. Low 64F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph.

Saturday: Abundant sunshine. High 87F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph.

Sunday: Times of sun and clouds. Highs in the upper 80s and lows in the low 70s. Monday: Partly cloudy, chance of a thunderstorm. Highs in the upper 80s and lows in the low 70s.

Good question Jim but there is nothing out there to radically alter the current circulation [trough in the West, ridge over Texas.

We're missing the intense October heat [but no fires at least  :D  A bit bummed since I have several recently transplanted palms

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Not a SoCal Weather expert (my specialty is TX and FL weather!), but don't you normally get some of your hottest "summer" weather in Sep and early Oct.

(syersj @ Oct. 11 2007,22:52)

Not a SoCal Weather expert (my specialty is TX and FL weather!), but don't you normally get some of your hottest "summer" weather in Sep and early Oct.

You're right Jim.  Particularly along the immediate coastline, October can be the warmest month in Cali  :cool: but not this year

I enjoy watching for the winter temps in deep So Texas when it goes above 100  :P That can also occur in So Cal during a particularly hot santa ana episode

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ, watch the winter national daily high, and a lot of the time it wil be in either McAllen or Laredo TX.  Don't have the data in front of me, but I bet it is 40-50% of the time.

It can heat up fast when the southwest winds are blowing in from Mexico.

To show you the sometimes wild winter weather, our average Jan high in SA is about 62-65F, yet Every single January we get a stretch of 80-85F T-shirt and Shorts wearing weather.  A week later you might be trying to dig out a jacket buried in the closet somewhere because one of the infamous blue norther cold fronts came through.

We got our first cold front of the season last night.  For the first time this season, the morning low was less than 70F.  Its currently 65.3F at my house with a dewpoint of 50.3F!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(spockvr6 @ Oct. 12 2007,07:03)

We got our first cold front of the season last night.  For the first time this season, the morning low was less than 70F.  Its currently 65.3F at my house with a dewpoint of 50.3F!

Bet that feels great, Larry  :P

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

To me the first cool front means it drops below 60F and you can actually open your window at night for the first time in about 6-7 months.

We've had several cold fronts already this month w/ quite a few nights in the 50's.  Starting to close the windows  :laugh:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Well, I am ready to open the windows and doors so I can air out the house.  I leave them open from the first cool front to the last one next spring.  I love having them open with the breezes blowing in and the air smelling so good.  Can't wait!

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

I was waiting for it to arrive--lows were supposed to be in the 60s here last night--but, alas, the low was 75 and it's already 90. So much for spraying...

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Well, Its been unbelievably hot lately, today was sort of nice but still hot while out doing yard work....

This graphic says it all for the future I think

20071009-temperature.png

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

Ouch! We just got our first cool front and it went below 60F last night for the first time I think in six months or so...52.7 at my house and 46 at the typically arctic Natchez airport...and it's supposed to be colder tonight! Still hitting about 80 every day but this dry air is letting it really plummet at night. I just had dinner down on the Mississippi River and it felt quite cold with that pesky river breeze! Feels a little better back at home on the bluff, but already 57.7 at midnight and dropping precipitously...sure to flirt with the sub-50-degree mark tonight. My potted breadfruit tree and some of my heliconias will not be happy campers even if the Trachys and Dypsis decipiens are rejoicing. But on the upside, the citrus is starting to color up! I hope y'all in south Texas and Florida are still basking in the warm evenings, enjoy it while you can! I personally can't wait for the next shot of warm, moist air from the Gulf (supposedly Monday).

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

We hit our low of 70 early Saturday morning.  Coldest its been since May 22 (66).  It has been nice to be able to walk to/ from work without sweating completely through all my clothes.

I know very well that there's more where that came from.

I have waaaayyyy too much stuff that's too big to protect this winter.  My potted stuff has grown so much that I won't even be able to fit it in my sunroom anymore.  

Allen- Here's hoping for Galveston's first winter without a low below 40  :P   We've come close a couple of times in the last 60 years, always with just 1-3 nights spoiling it all by as few as 3 degrees.  I don't think its impossible.

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

Safe to plant a palm?  I live in South Louisiana (zone 9a).  I have seen a lot of literature saying best not to plant palms till the soil is warm around May, but nothing saying when to stop planting palms.  I am guessing the soil will stay nice and warm till November'ish.  I planted a couple of Palms today (Oct 14) and have a couple yet to go into the ground.  What are your thoughts out there on this one?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Were supposed to get our first "cool front" today - it will probably bring a couple of inches of rain.  The affect will be short lived, though, as today's high of 85F will go up to 86F tomorrow.  Maybe we'll get a one-day respite from the humidity.  By Wednesday, our normal SE flow will be back in charge.

And Thibodeaux, (no offense Keith, but I gotta chuckle 'cause every coonass joke starts off with "Thibodeaux") they say around here that the best time to plant palms is when you plant tomatoes; that'd be April for us. That said, I just planted a bunch of seedlings in September.  They'll just need a little more protection come February.

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

Here is a Map that depicts the probability of the first fall freeze for areas of Florida.  

According to this map, I should expect my first freeze sometime around 12/10.  I live right near that line in Jacksonville.

post-84-1192491620_thumb.jpg

Here is the info in regards to the last freeze.  I'm somewhere between 2/10 and 2/20.  It's those late February early March freezes that seem to be the worst for our area.

post-84-1192491839_thumb.jpg

No offense taken on the "Thibodeaux"  The most famous line of Cajun jokes are the "Thibodeaux and Boudreaux" jokes.  At least "Thibodeaux" is always the smart one.  I guess they don't know my relatives.  Or me for that matter.  Who else would try to grow Zone 10 palms in Zone 9a?

Here is one to lighten up your evening.

Don't let anyone tell you that Cajun's aren't smart!!!

Only a person in Louisiana could think of this. From the parish where

drunk driving is considered a sport comes this true story.

Recently a routine police patrol parked outside a bar in Houma,

Louisiana. After last call, the officer noticed a man leaving the bar so

intoxicated that he could barely walk. The man stumbled around the

parking lot for a few minutes, with the officer quietly observing.

After what seemed an eternity in which he tried his keys on five

different vehicles, the man managed to find his car and fall into it. He

sat there for a few minutes as a number of other patrons left the bar

and drove off. Finally, he started the car, switched the wipers on and

off-it was a fine summer night, flicked the blinkers on and off a

couple of times, honked the horn, and then switched on the lights. He

moved the vehicle forward a few inches, reversed a little and then

remained still for a few more minutes as some more of the other patron's

vehicles left.

At last, when his was the only car in the parking lot, he pulled out and

drove slowly down the road. The police officer, having waited patiently

all this time, now started up his patrol car, put on the flashing

lights, pulled the man over, and administered a breathalyzer test.

To his amazement, the breathalyzer indicated no evidence that the man

had consumed any alcohol at all! Dumbfounded, the officer said, "I'll

have to ask you to accompany me to the police station. This breathalyzer

equipment must be broken."

"I doubt it," said the truly proud Coonass. "Tonight I'm the designated

decoy."

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith,

Yea, I've heard that one before; it must be true.  And thanks for reminding me about po' ole Boudreaux.  He da kind dat say, "look at dem five maybe eight cows over yonda der, cher".  Bottom line, I couldn't have named my cats Grand Mamou and Opelousas if I didn't have at least some respect (and love) for Louisiana.  We Bohunks in Texas have some similar foibles.

Speaking of Bohunks, check this out: http://www.halatamusic.com/  This is the band playing at my folks 50th wedding anniversary party this weekend.  I think a Coonass could get into a little TexCzech vis a vis Zydeco.

Steve

p.s. Let's make a trade: Port Arthur for Shreveport.

p.p.s. I take it back, Port Arthur is my nearest source for real boudin.

One more for you Keith:

http://sky.prohosting.com/hoboband/members.html

In case you hadn't seen enough old drunk Bohunks blasting polkas, this is what I grew up with at Babicka's in Shiner, Texas.

Palm.  There, I said palm.

Steve

btw, if you're wondering, all the "Laddies" aren't Scottish, it's the diminutive of the Czech name "Ladislav".

Along these lines, can anyone tell me what a yat is? I understand they also like palms.

What you look for is what is looking

So Tag, help me understand those maps. I live in Ruskin FL which is in down in the "toe" of hillsborough county on the south shore of tampa bay. It looks to me that I have a 50% chance of seeing my first freeze of the year after 1/10 and then a 50% of seeing my last freeze of the year before 1/20? Does that mean there is 50% chance that I will see freezes only between the dates of 1/10 to 1/20?  Or that 50% of all freezes recorded in my area historically happened between 1/10 and 1/20? Have I just said the same thing twice? I wasn't the brightest star in my stats class - thanks :)

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Bill,

I'm no statisticion, but I think it just means that on average you will not experience your first freeze until on or after 1/10 and that on average you will experience your last freeze on or before 1/20.  There is a chance that you could have a freeze before 1/10 and after 1/20. it's just less than a 50% chance.  Your best chance for a freeze occurs between 1/10 and 1/20.  I wish my window was only 10 days!

Tag

If I am to believe the NOAA weather site, the first real cool fron of the season is supposed to come through on Sun/Mon, dropping lows into the lower 50s.  The local weather guys aren't totally on board with those lows but definitely a good cool down.

Bill- Having lived in New Port Richey since 1988, I can tell ya I've seen freezes as early as Dec 15tth and as late as Feb 22nd. It has not hit freezing here past that date. Never in March (yet?) but sure close with a few mornings now and then in the middle 30's. I teach in Hudson, 10 mi inland, and I have seen frost there in late March on the morning it was 40F at my house! I have always said, after the 3rd week of Feb we are safe, and I go about my business as if a frost will not occur. It may chill for a morning or two, but the afternoons warm up fast by then. The INCREDIBLE DOWNPOUR during the night gave me over 2" of rain and it was 69.8F when I woke up at 630am! Only 80.1F at noon under hazy skies...this is fall! Greg

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Oh great, now its supposed to drop into the 50s here on Monday night.  We finally dropped below 70 for the first time last night- 68.  

Neither my palms nor I will tolerate 50 degree weather in October- I don't know about them, but I'm getting on a plane to Florida on Tuesday and I just might not come back! :o

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

(surgeon83 @ Oct. 20 2007,13:05)

Oh great, now its supposed to drop into the 50s here on Monday night.  We finally dropped below 70 for the first time last night- 68.  

Neither my palms nor I will tolerate 50 degree weather in October- I don't know about them, but I'm getting on a plane to Florida on Tuesday and I just might not come back! :o

Right, they are saying low 50s here, 70s for highs Mon - Wed.  Outside possibility of (gasp) upper 40s.

Woke up in the motel today to the Orlando weather guy predicting low 60's here Tues or Wed AM, if the front finally pushes through.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

First front came through with a vengeance last night.  Went to bed at around midnight, it was still about 80F humid and warm.  Woke up to wind, rain, and 54F!!!  My system can't take abrupt changes like this.

Jim-

Looks like that one is going t try and make its way here.  The forecasts seem to be waffling though as some show upper 50's and others upper 60's!  I guess we shall see.  Im game for a few nice cool mornings.

Larry 

Well, the last front that came through took me down into the 60's when no one else in FL (in the palm growing world anyway) has been below 70 yet, so this one may very well take me into the 50's!

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I tell you what, 50s and windy feels COLD, when you aren't used to it.  Had to scrounge around for a jacket.  My blood doesn't like cold weather.  Supposed to warm back up to 80s later in week, wish it would hurry.

Keep the updates coming Jim.

I'm not looking forward to these cool temps. Lots of time to relocate a few palms that need coverage,

It probably won't be that cool by the time it gets to FL, will probably die out some, has to pass over too much territory.

Front is in Louisiana now.  It is currently 63F in Lake Charles, LA, but 77F in Baton Rouge, so it apparently hasn't made it through that state yet.

(palmsrgreat @ Oct. 22 2007,15:25)

Keep the updates coming Jim.

I'm not looking forward to these cool temps. Lots of time to relocate a few palms that need coverage,

Front should have already went through Houston.  I'm barely in the 60s today, although supposed to warm back up tomorrow (70s)

(keiththibodeaux @ Oct. 15 2007,21:28)

No offense taken on the "Thibodeaux"  The most famous line of Cajun jokes are the "Thibodeaux and Boudreaux" jokes.  At least "Thibodeaux" is always the smart one.  I guess they don't know my relatives.  Or me for that matter.  Who else would try to grow Zone 10 palms in Zone 9a?

Here is one to lighten up your evening.

Don't let anyone tell you that Cajun's aren't smart!!!

Only a person in Louisiana could think of this. From the parish where

drunk driving is considered a sport comes this true story.

Recently a routine police patrol parked outside a bar in Houma,

Louisiana. After last call, the officer noticed a man leaving the bar so

intoxicated that he could barely walk. The man stumbled around the

parking lot for a few minutes, with the officer quietly observing.

After what seemed an eternity in which he tried his keys on five

different vehicles, the man managed to find his car and fall into it. He

sat there for a few minutes as a number of other patrons left the bar

and drove off. Finally, he started the car, switched the wipers on and

off-it was a fine summer night, flicked the blinkers on and off a

couple of times, honked the horn, and then switched on the lights. He

moved the vehicle forward a few inches, reversed a little and then

remained still for a few more minutes as some more of the other patron's

vehicles left.

At last, when his was the only car in the parking lot, he pulled out and

drove slowly down the road. The police officer, having waited patiently

all this time, now started up his patrol car, put on the flashing

lights, pulled the man over, and administered a breathalyzer test.

To his amazement, the breathalyzer indicated no evidence that the man

had consumed any alcohol at all! Dumbfounded, the officer said, "I'll

have to ask you to accompany me to the police station. This breathalyzer

equipment must be broken."

"I doubt it," said the truly proud Coonass. "Tonight I'm the designated

decoy."

Haha, I actually have family with the last names Boudreaux, Girouard, Molbert, and, of course, Castille. I'm Cajun to the bone. Except I'm in central Florida. Most of my family's enjoying life with sugar cane and a couple 20+acre crawfish ponds. Haha. Do Cajuns rock or what??? I'm ready for some nice winter gumbo and rice dressin'. And my all time fave - crawfish etouffee. C'est bon [we always say that if something's delicious].

So what part of Louisiana are you from? My family's from Breaux Bridge, and some in Broussard [my 2nd cousin is the LSU softball coach - her and my dad are like best friends...grew up together in Breaux Bridge]. Geaux Tigers. And Gators. :)

Still freaking hot here. The car said 94 driving home from school today. Is that insane or what? I wake up at 6:30, and it's already 75. Nice fall.....not.

(syersj @ Oct. 22 2007,16:07)

It probably won't be that cool by the time it gets to FL, will probably die out some, has to pass over too much territory.

See...you are better than the weathermen.  The forecasts for here seem to have been revised and the lows are all back up to something north of 70F.  So, I guess this front will peter out/

Larry 

(SoLando @ Oct. 22 2007,16:55)

Still freaking hot here. The car said 94 driving home from school today. Is that insane or what? I wake up at 6:30, and it's already 75. Nice fall.....not.

Yes......still far above normal here for this time of year.  My station hit 91.0F today.  I believe normal is around 84F.  I am actually ready for a cool front to come through.  This same time last year we dropped into the low 50's.

Larry