IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Licuala mapu pollinators

Palmarum

I have a Licuala mapu that has been flowering off and on for the past year with no production. I wondered if it is because I am lacking a suitable pollinator for it? I have tried to do it artificially with no success.  My other theory leads me to believe that L. mapu is possibly dioecious like its close cousin L. radula. Since I only have one mature Mapu its hard to iron out this mystery. If anyone has had full seed production on a solitary plant, or know of a pollinator, let me know as it would rule this out. I have dissected flowers and found male parts, but due to their small size I cannot determine if they are male or hermaphroditic.

I will try to post pictures the next time he/she/it flowers again.

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Hello Ryan,

Sounds like you really want to be a dad. And I don't blame you. We all wish we had a big L. mapu !! Sounds like yours is good size. Any chance of showing us all some pitures of your big "stud" ?

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Here is a photo of the aformentioned Licuala mapu taken today. If he stays on pattern, he should bloom again in about 3 months. The leaves are 12 inches (30.5cm) across.

Ryan

post-24-1151004782_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Ryan,

What a beautiful speciman ! I notice it's in a pot. Are you going to consider putting it in the ground soon? Either way, grown to perfection.

JEFF

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 2 months later...

Ryan,

Any good news yet on flowers setting some seed? Maybe some hand-pollinating late at night with a flashlight. :D

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Ryan,

I have a few Licuala mapu and one of them has produced viable seeds. None of the others are at that point yet, even though they are all of fairly similar size. Another one does have a small inflorescence, though. I'm convinced you should be able to get viable seeds with just one individual. Here's mine.

Bo-Göran

post-22-1157767610_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And here's a full view. I have it (and the others) under 60% shadecloth but I think it would like even more shade than that.

post-22-1157767812_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo,

Thanks for the information, it's exactly what I needed to hear. Did you happen to notice what or who did the pollination? I have also come to the conclusion that even though my plant has flowered, it just has not yet flowered correctly to induce proper pollination. I have tried to pollinate it myself on a few occasions in different ways, with no sucess. But with the way it has flowered, I will have another go at it in about 2 months.

Ryan

South Florida

Dear Bo Goran  :)

that picture in post 6 & 7. the palms appear

with orange seeds.how come these palms

give out seeds when they are so small & still

in containers.

this is baffeling ?

is it due to fertilizers or is it a dwarf variety ?

thanks in advance.

love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

And here I am thinking to myself that Licuala's are dioecious, and mapu's produce yellow, sickle-shaped seeds.   How ignorant of me!

Ryan,

No, I'm afraid I don't know what caused pollination.

Kris,

Yes, this is a dwarf Licuala. Will never get taller than 3 ft or so.

And Zac,

Yes, you're right. I need to plant it. The reason I've taken my time is that I lost a few smaller mapus that I had planted. They were in deep shade, which is probably good, but as a result they also didn't get any rain because of the heavy canopy. The key to success is to find an area that's very shaded, but also gets plenty of rain. I have a few L. mapu and intend to plant them in a group, so I need to find the perfect spot for them!

Bo-Göran

If I had an ideal location to plant mine, I would. It quite enjoys life in a container, since they do not get much larger. You can not see it in the photos, but my L. mapu has 2 inches of stem, so thats about the extent of its size.

bobchang, most Licuala species are actually hermaphroditic, but a few are dioecious, like L. mapu's closest cousin L. radula.

Ryan

South Florida

• 2 months later...

My L. mapu had flowered again like clockwork. Hopefully I will get some seeds this time. I plan to introduce certain pollinators as well as try artificial again. I said earlier I would post photos of it flowering again, so here they are.

2006-11-10_15-09-24.jpg

- Sorry for the lack of detail, I do not have a macro lens for this camera, so I had to enlarge the same photo as above.

2006-11-10_15-09-24-1.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Hi Ryan, I have several Licuala 'Mapu' still in containers.  Just noticed that the largest one is now flowering for the first time (see pic below).  Many times the very first inflorescences a palm produces will result in aborting the fruit.  I'll just have to wait and see if anything happens with this one.  It would be nice to see fruit develop on it, like Bo's.

post-90-1163296650_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

close up of the first inflorescence on the Licuala 'Mapu' . . .

post-90-1163296850_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

My second largest Licuala 'Mapu' - it has more contrast in leaf color.  It has not flowered yet.

post-90-1163297070_thumb.jpg

Nice sunsets!

That's very nice to see. I'm glad others have this incredible palm at mature sizes. I hope you will have better luck than I have for pollination.

Ryan

South Florida

Ryan-

The few Licualas that were studied showed that beetles/bees/flies (in that order) were the most important pollinators. A while back someone on here posted advice about placing a banana peel in the crown to help lure pollinators; that might help. (By the way, whoever posted that tip: Thanks! It works great on my more reluctant small plams such as Chammies and Rhapis.) Of course an insecticide-free enviorment is recommended.

Nice plants! Those pics make it difficult to fight the lust for those tropical beauties.

Minneola, Florida

This post should have a warning:  "May cause extreme palm envy, view at your own risk"

If I had one of those I would never post, I would just sit and look at it.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

It's like the alien in Signs.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(Zac in NC @ Nov. 13 2006,18:30)

Yeah Massive palm envy going on here. I love seeing that one. I wonder how they would do as houseplants in the winter?

Zac

Zac,

I often wonder myself the same thing. I think it would probably do well if near a nice window. I think you should break down and buy a large one and try it out. Let us know in say ...6 months. :D

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I wonder how they would do as houseplants in the winter? Zac

I had mine in the house for about a month during one of our colder winters and did fine. Granted it had plenty of light, ambient heat, and drip irrigation.

Ryan- The few Licualas that were studied showed that beetles/bees/flies (in that order) were the most important pollinators. A while back someone on here posted advice about placing a banana peel in the crown to help lure pollinators; that might help.

I will keep trying things as I hear about them. I have a pretty good natural insect population, so I stay as organic as i can. Ladybugs run rampant everywhere, along with a few assassin bugs, I don't know how much pollination they will do. They seem to just eat mealybugs and spidermites. I have a species of ant that pollinated my Licuala grandis, I thought about transporting them to a controlled environment near the L. mapu. The flowers on the L. mapu are quite different than L. grandis. Some of the flowers have opened, but have not begun to shed pollen yet.

Ryan

South Florida

I may wait. I'd love to try some seeds. There is a place that sells them for cheaper than RPS.com. I found it looking at malesiana.com. They are half price.

Ryan- Glad to hear your did well inside.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

• 1 year later...

Hey Ryan, Did your L. mapu ever set seed?  I've heard that overhead watering and believe it or not rain may actually inhibit the prodution of seeds due to dispersal/removal of pollen.  How is your plant being irrigated?

Since the last batch of photos were taken, my L. mapu has flowered like clockwork but hasn't kept seed to date. There has been a few close calls but something or someone has knocked off the immature developing seed. I have let fruit flies go crazy on it and they seemed to have done a little better. I still have a few more ideas to try next time it flowers. The last time it did, it produced two separate inflorescences, about 8 inches long and branched once. It is being irrigated by hand now, since they are off drip since I had to move everything a few times.

Ryan

South Florida

I did use several banana peels, along with some apple cores and orange skins, which all seemed to attract fruit flies and their predators. I might try a restrictive environment for the Mapu, after it gets pollinated to give the fruit an added chance.

Ryan

South Florida

(bgl @ Sep. 09 2006,13:05)

Kris,

Yes, this is a dwarf Licuala. Will never get taller than 3 ft or so.

Bo-Göran

:) Hi Bo, & Kris

Just to update you . I've Seen plants that are over 6ft tall.

Plus foilage What stunning looking specimens.

My standard form of L.mattensis is already over 4ft plus.

Which we all know is another form of L.mapu.

And Both will grow to the same size.

Chalmerchart, if your there could you see Poonsak

ask him for the pic's of L.mapu from the wild, so you can post a pic.

Guys you'll be very surprised. One more thing  ( you Only need one plant

to produce viable seeds.)

Great pictures guys keep them coming.

Best wishes.. Mikey.. :)

• Upvote 1

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

Thanks for pointing out how big they are capable of getting Mikey!  Here is a photo linked up from PASCOA's website of a trunking specimen...

spMapu04.jpg

I'll post a photo of my L mapu collection after Christmas!

Ryan, here's a pic I just took a few days ago of my Licuala Mapu fruit (seeds).  It's the second time now that it has produced seed.  This plant is still in in a 4-gallon size container and only has been fertilized lightly with Nutricote time release.  It is located under a 50% shade cloth between 2 buildings so only gets filtered sun during late morning hours.  It gets rained on and hand watered when needed.  I have no idea what pollinates it.

post-90-1197920194_thumb.jpg

Nice sunsets!

Hey Al, That is a beautful plant, thanks for sharing some photos!

Do you clean those seeds by hand?  What's the fruit texture like?  Fibrous? Cork? Mangoish?  Is it sweet?  Taste good? Does it have irritants like Caryotas?  

I can think of more questions!  

:cool:

Mikey,

Thanks for the additional info on how tall they can get. I guess I should have said "won't get taller than 3 ft in my lifetime...! :(

And Bill,

Thanks for posting that photo! Quite a sight. The seeds are very easy to clean by hand, BTW. Especially since it's only a very small number - around a dozen or so. Personally I don't eat the fruit, but that may be just me...I'll let Al answer for himself! :D

Bo-Göran

Caution advised in eating the fruit around the seed.  It is very addictive.  I tried one and I could not stop so I told myself I'd eat just ONE more, however, before I knew it I had eaten all those seeds on my Licual Mapu.  

The flavor is indescribable.  

Check below

A little farther

Almost there

NOT. . . .  indescribable because the truth is I didn't dare try eat one for fear I might become addicted to the fruit as much as I am to the beauty of the plant itself!  I'd like to have a ground cover of this palm!  LOL.

Here's another one for your viewing pleasure.  There is variability among the species.

post-90-1197938110_thumb.jpg

Nice sunsets!

(bgl @ Dec. 17 2007,18:50)

Mikey,

Thanks for the additional info on how tall they can get. I guess I should have said "won't get taller than 3 ft in my lifetime...! :(

And Bill,

Thanks for posting that photo! Quite a sight.

Bo-Göran

:) Hi guys,

Bo, I don't want you to say things like that Dude.

We Know your going no were man, you get them

big well within your lifetime for sure, Just check

how well there going  :) .

Cheers for now Bo.

...Mikey...

Hi Bill

Thanks for posting that pic, True Beauty's at any size.

I've got personal photo's of L. radula, in situ,

Gave a mate locations so he could see some Cycas

(well on a Business trip In Thailand)

Various 'sp'  a couple not seen for years. And on the

way there they came across a stand of L.radula, he only

had 35mm with him but he got some great pic's.

Having hassles with my scanner once fixed I'll post

those one's (Different location to the orginal 1st source

of seeds).

Cheers, 4 now. Mikey. :)

• Upvote 1

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

• 10 years later...
On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2007‎ ‎2‎:‎36‎:‎34‎, Al in Kona said:

Ryan, here's a pic I just took a few days ago of my Licuala Mapu fruit (seeds).  It's the second time now that it has produced seed.  This plant is still in in a 4-gallon size container and only has been fertilized lightly with Nutricote time release.  It is located under a 50% shade cloth between 2 buildings so only gets filtered sun during late morning hours.  It gets rained on and hand watered when needed.  I have no idea what pollinates it.

post-90-1197920194_thumb.jpg

:interesting:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B