IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wheres the line? Can we cross it?

Palmy

Recently we have seen our lovely 'off topic' section go. I am wondering where is the line? What I mean, what can we post and what can we not post. I was hoping to get another photography thread up, because I would like to share some pictures of my travels and ect. Of course no political posts, but can we share our life other than palm? So how strict is the 'no off topic' posting. I respect that we may not have the option to post such a thing, but I also am very pleased that we have a place to talk about palms. I dont know exactly where to put this thread, sorry if its in the wrong place. I would pm this to the admins, but perhaps others might have something to post to.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Well, I have something benign to share. This is my new dog, Mr. Monte Python. We adopted him this weekend from a big shelter adoption drive. He's a sweetie. Tonight, we left him alone with access to the kitchen, and he ate an entire bag (about 8) of Thomas Whole Wheat Mini Bagels while we were at volleyball practise with my daughter. He got them from on top of the table, no less. He also tried to eat a can of Planter's Mixed Nuts, but he couldn;t get them open.

He's a cool dog, very smart, lots of personality. And the BEST part is, he has a TATTOO! So he fits right in to the family. He has a little "Z" tattooed on his tummy. We aren't certain why. The vet said that sometimes shelters will tattoo dogs as they fix them so that there is permanent proof they were fixed.

Anyway, if I'm crossing the line, I'm sorry, but you have to admit, he's pretty cute, no?

DSCN5500.jpg

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

Zach and Gina (and everybody else!),

We're in a little bit of limbo right now. Guidelines are being discussed, and personally I'd like to see an off-topic sub-forum for personal stuff like birthdays, pets etc. Paul Craft is on vacation this week, so I'm hoping we're going to have a comprehensive plan & guidelines in place some time next week. And at that time, an announcement will obviously be made!

Bo-Göran

PS - Gina - yes, cute dog!!

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Thanks Bo! He's a terror, but a sweet one. His ears have a life of their own.

Gina, any idea what kind of dog Monty may be?  My parents have a rescued dog that has a very similar look.  Here name is Georgie.  She's a terror also.  Her canines are bigger than dogs twice her size.  She's very fast and is scrappy and kills birds, skunks, rodents.  She's a hunter of some sort.  We've always wondered what kind of dog she is or what mixes she has in her.  Anyone with any ideas?

Georgie-021.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Almost a given she has Chow in her. Chow mixes are one of the largest mutt contributers around. The curly tail and the fact it likes to kill other animals tells me it has Chow in it. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Matt - I think I see a little Wolverine in there too.

post-662-1191964937_thumb.jpg

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Hi,

There is a good reason to segregate the non palm postings quite strictly.  I refer to a significant message in another thread.:

"Many of the Central Floridians that used to be regulars on the old board are no longer posting here.  I see some of these guys and others on the Yahoo Groups email list.  It would be nice to see some of these people back here.  The topics on that list tend to be a bit more analytical, for lack of a better word.  I think that has something to do with it."

It would be unfortunate if the Palm Society Forum was to be seen by increasing numbers as primarily about things other than palms,  and not dealing with palms in an analytical way, so as to be supplanted by a Yahoo email list ,  that is unless the list is the palms societies own list,  which for some reason seems to be run in parallel with the forum.

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Gina,

Keep a close eye on that pup, he's has more than his daily share of fiber  :P

Matty,

I see some pit/chow in your folks dog.

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

I think Bo pretty much covered it. We are being lax at the moment for "innocent" off topic subjects. I will be relieved along with the rest of you when we have more concise guidelines to apply.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I will wait for later if at all to post anything a little off topic. Thanks for the update.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Matty,

the folks at the Humane Society had him listed as a "German Shepherd mix". But the vet didn't think so. She thought possibly (and I know this sounds very weird...) Welsh Corgi + Dashchund+ possibly some pit bull (due to the brindle) a generation or more ago.

As near as we can tell from his history, he was dropped off at the pound in the middle of the night by a spineless owner who decided they didn't want him. The shelters around here have outdoor kennels where such gutless owners who are afraid to actually walk into the building, present their dog or cat and say, "I don't want it anymore" can anonymously drop the pet off outdoors 365 days a year to a "drop site". He's about 18 months old +/-. He was already microchipped, already house trained, already neutered and tatted, and already able to heel on a lead when the shelter got him. Then he sat at the shelter/ in a foster home (where he was kept crated a lot of the time) for 6 months before we came along.

He's very very smart, and realized IMMEDIATELY that he had to fit into the pack with our other 2 existing dogs, or else he might get booted. He is pretty wild and energetic, but he's also very loving and willing to be taught. He's a definite Frisbee player.

I think he was abandoned by a college student who decided not to try to keep him. The kids here do that all the time. They will adopt dogs or cats, keep them for the school year, then dump them. The lucky ones get dumped like Monte did, at a shelter, the unlucky ones get dumped in the woods or just pushed out he car door.

Here's our Terrier climbing a P.rupicola x canariensis. (rupicola seed parent)  It has red fruit and one mentioned in a previous thread (which I can't find)..

cheers...Malcolm

Metalfan,

Your dog is mostly...if not 100% Catahoula Leopard dog.  I have one that could be your, "Babies Daddy." The wacky ears, coat, energy level, as well as build are Catahoula.  He looks to be full Catahoula to me.  The darker brindles have a tendancy not to have a glass eye.

These dogs are very, very smart coupled with an extremely high energy level(they're a herding dog).  Run him with you when he gets older; Otherwise, he will get bored and most likely eat your house.  

When their minds are made up that something needs to be taken apart, they will go to great lengths to reach their goal.  With that in mind: If your husband or anyone you know goes deer hunting, have him keep the antlers and cut them in 6" lengths for chew toys.  That is about the only thing mine can't destroy.  If you don't know any hunters, I can send you an antler chew toy.

Here is a picture of one from the web:

reilly12wks.jpg

Would that be your special Chamaedorea sp. "Christmas" complete with living ornament?

WHat a beautiful lizard (and palm, LOL)

Monty looks like a real nice dog.

Thank heavens Monty aint met Hayley our cat!

She can be as as gentle as Heaven and as cruel as Hell. Believe it.

Torties and Siamese share this trait.

A few years back some mugger attempted to attack a lady when her cat on a wall pounced and put his claws well and truly in.

Well done Puss.

Regardez

Juan

(a self confessed worshipper of Bast and Sekhmet)

Regardez

(Miaow)

Juan

Juan

(Fouquieria @ Oct. 10 2007,15:10)

Here's my Bette...all 110 pounds of her.

-Ron-

Lonicera_hildebrandiana.jpg

She's a beauty.  That's the same look my Neapolitan gives me when asked to go outside.

post-1208-1192108158_thumb.jpg

(metalfan @ Oct. 11 2007,03:50)

Would that be your special Chamaedorea sp. "Christmas" complete with living ornament?

Thanks!!

Move over GEICO Gecko!!!

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

(putu enjula @ Oct. 12 2007,18:56)

(metalfan @ Oct. 11 2007,03:50)

Thanks!!

Move over GEICO Gecko!!!

That's SOME special song and dance!!! :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 10 years later...
On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2007‎ ‎12‎:‎21‎:‎31‎, BS Man about Palms said:

28000008_1642047505860882_65544905_o.jpg

That's SOME special song and dance!!! :D

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B