IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

4 Sabal Palms in garden

Al in Kona

While there are IMO, many different species of very nice Sabal palms, I chose the following 4-species.  I guess you could say they are my favorites:  

Sabal sp huge leaf.  I obtained a tiny seedling from Phil Bergman's Jungle Music Nursery about 6 or 7 years ago.  He said the seed came from the Ferguson garden in Southen California.  Here's what it looks like today . . .

post-90-1189472609_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Sabal mauritiiformis  -  This has always been one of my favorite tropical Sabals.  Mine is still small but it looks as nice trunkless as with their thin trunks.

post-90-1189472847_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Sabal uresana  The glaucous leaves are its main attraction for me.  Not a fast grower (at least when small) but I had to have one.  Mine was planted as a seedling directly in the ground.

post-90-1189473065_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Nice sunsets!

Sabal etonia  I always liked this dwarf trunkless Florida Sabal.  This plant came from wild collected seed in habitat by a Floridian.  The spot where I planted it is in a rather shallow soil area but it has grown slowly and maintains a very dwarf habit.  It is now flowering and at the same time loaded with green seeds (see photos below) . . .

post-90-1189473664_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Nice sunsets!

Sabal etonia - flowers and fruit . . .

post-90-1189473799_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Nice sunsets!

Dear Al  :)

those are beautiful stills of one of my favouriate's too.

but don't you grow the sabal riverside Sp in our garden ?

thanks & love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Really nice choice of Sabals, they look really happy there...how old is the mauritiiformis?

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Rusty, the Sabal maurtiiformis is about 4 years old.  It's been pretty much on its own without much extra supplemental water or fertilizer.

Nice sunsets!

Nice, Al...

Sabals are bombproof palms..I especially like Mauritiformis.

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

I'm real curious about the Sabal sp. "big leaf". It looks alot like the Sabal yapas at Quail Garden and Gary Woods place. Love the long petioles and the tight/flat leaves.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Terry - The "big leaf" Sabal came from Phil Bergman (Jungle Music) as a seedling in a liner some years ago.  He probably has plants for sale of it yet or at least he can tell you more about it's history.  I was told the seed came from a huge leaf Sabal growing in the Ferguson garden (now diseased) which I think is in Orange County.   BTW, what nice Sabal is that you are standing infront of on your Profile page?  Where is it?

Kathryn - I too, planted my Sabal uresana as a strap leaf seedling almost 4 years ago.  Very slow as a seedling but I hear they do speed up later.  At least I can see mine now!  Before it was basically hidden from view, ha.  

Kris - no I don't have the Sabal 'Riverside' but I really do like that one a lot too.  Do you have it?

Nice sunsets!

Thanks Al!  Great comparison shots.  I've been trying to decide which of the Sabals to grow.  The S. mauritiaformis, S. yapa, S. 'riverside' are what I'm starting with.  Such a strong palm.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Al - That's a Bismarckia in my photo. It's in Guy Young's backyard in Huntington Beach. No need to get embarrassed... I've misidentified the two a couple of times also, but only in photos.

I've got a Sabal riverside in the ground, but was looking to get a either a yapa or mauritiaformis also. I might need to stop by Jungle Music and ask about "huge leaf" instead. It's exactly what I want, but I'm just hoping it's not too slow in SoCal.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Matt...I didn't lose one Sabal Mauritiformis (out of about 20) in the field of death. All were defoliated, but came back.

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

(m_crowther @ Sep. 11 2007,16:13)

Beauts Al.

Does anyone know the cold tolerance of Sabal mauritiiformis?

Hi Matt,

Mine did just fine at 24 F., next to a swimming pool.  Just the slightest of leaf tip burn.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.