IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis Mystery

Urban Rainforest

(Gtlevine @ Aug. 27 2007,21:49)

As promissed, here are two views of the true Ambositrae in the botanical garden of Tana. Once you have seen this palm you can recognize it. Some of the seedlings shown like Bo's and a couple others look like Ambositrae, but your big plant has leaves just like Decipians, the Ambositrae's I have seen all have a greener and more delicate leaf as Bo describes, but then again, I am far from any kind of expert. I do know I brought back true Ambositrae seed last April, so I will have them.

DSC_0116.jpg

DSC_0117.jpg

Gary

Hey Gary, Thanks for posting those pics. That is exciting as I have many of those. It looks very dry there. Do they rely on rainfall or is there irrigation? Also that soil almost looks like DG. WEll my palm is only a year or two from trunking so I'll take more pics next summer and see what you guys think. Greg, I like that Pumila too but it's not what I got. Thanks to everybody for helping to sort this out.

Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

(MattyB @ Aug. 27 2007,15:09)

(Greg in Lake Forest @ CA,Aug. 27 2007,14:07)

Steve, while it certainly looks like a beefed up ambositrae, it strikes me as possibly Dypsis pumila.

What do you think?

Hasn't it been many years since D. pumilla has even been seen?  That would be awesome though.  I want one.  I want one of everything though.

Me first...... :P

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Steve,

I was thinking about the reddish tomentum on your palm.  There is no mention in the description of Dypsis ambositrae of any tomentum on the crown or leaf bases.  So I still think that it is not ambositrae.  This issue, along with what I brought up before, that it didn't look like the current batch of ambositrae seedlings when it was small.    

But it is still a unique palm that seems real happy here and looks awesome.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

(Matt in SD @ Aug. 28 2007,01:53)

Steve,

I was thinking about the reddish tomentum on your palm.  There is no mention in the description of Dypsis ambositrae of any tomentum on the crown or leaf bases.  So I still think that it is not ambositrae.  This issue, along with what I brought up before, that it didn't look like the current batch of ambositrae seedlings when it was small.    

But it is still a unique palm that seems real happy here and looks awesome.

Matt

Hey Matt, I noticed if you look carefully in Gary's second pic I see that same tomentum as mine. This is something that it did not have when small but developed over time.

Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

(neoflora @ Aug. 27 2007,23:25)

Gary, Put your glasses on! It is the same palm !

Ron, put your contacts back in, it's not the same.

Ron, the small palm posted by Bo is no doubt the same palm, but Steve's larger plant that he posted a picture of initially and asked for the ID has leaves with a totally different look and feel than the Ambositraes I have seen. I have not been to Steve's in over a year so I am going off memory more so than the photo,  I just remember that Steve's palm always looked and felt exactly like a Dypsis Decipians The larger Ambositrae's do look similar to Dypsis Decipians with strait and thinner trunks, but the smaller Ambositrae's were all quite different than similar size Decipians. Steves plant has always looked like a DD, not like the Ambo in my photo. We also know that DD is extreemely variable, take the debate we had over Marcus short and stiff leaf silver DD, hardly looks like a DD at all, but most on this board say it is a DD. Ron, you also have super colorful Dypsis Decipians, so the red on Steve's is not unusual. Based on all the Ambo's I have seen as smaller plants, I still must go with DD for ID on Steve's.

Steve, the Ambositrae in my photo was abused and planted in lowsy soil, from the location they come from on the high plateau, I imagine it has the same requirements as DD and a perfect palm for So Cal.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Just FYI, Steve's plant is in pretty much full all day sun which I assume could explain the "tougher" look and possible confusion w/ D. D.  That being said, I remember Steve saying what Matt refered to;  he grew them both from small seedlings and the seedlings looked totally different.    Hmmmmmmmmmmm.  Whatever it/they are they're both really beautiful palms and seem to grow great here and that's all that matters to me.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(Greg in Lake Forest, CA @ Aug. 27 2007,22:23)

This true ambositrae is really a good palm in So. Cal., I'm growing a bunch as well.

Here is the only photo of Dypsis pumila I've seen, doesn't look quite right, but nonetheless, I want one:

Where'd you get yours?

I'd like to get some . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave, The palm Jeff marcus has been selling as Dypsis Onilahensis for a couple of years now is supposed to be the true Ambositrae. They should have a heel and lots of color.The last time I ordered all he had were 4" plants though.These survived last winter unprotected in my shadehouse with no damage whatsoever. I planted my biggest one in the ground and it is growing nicely.

Steve

If someone could pull up or tell me how to pull up Jeff Searles pics of the true Dypsis Ambositrae in habitat I would apreciate it mucho. I tried to by typing in true Dypsis Ambositrae and hit search... it pulled up cane toad horror ??? . There are some interesting things I would like to look at for comparison. You know I looked very closely after work at my Dypsis Decipiens and my Dypsis mystery palm and the only thing they have in common is there both heeled palms from Madagascar and even the heel is differant. The heel on my mystery Dypsis is huge but rather than "heel" shaped it is in a flat plane horizontal with the ground. Thanks in advance to whoever can help me pull up the true Ambositrae in habitat post!

Thanks,

Steve

Yep. That's definitely Jeff Searle. Mystery solved.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Caryota Gigas, Thanks for posting that pic! How did you do that ? I would like to look at the rest of them. Especially the pics of the smaller ones. I see a lot of similarities between this palm and mine. The whiter than white trunk.

post-351-1188359143_thumb.jpg

(LJG @ Aug. 28 2007,20:34)

I thought that was "007 Man"..   :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

The brownish tomentum

post-351-1188359228_thumb.jpg

Notice on the stem on the left of the palm pictured with Jeff Searle the burgandy colored base of the spear. Heres mine.

post-351-1188359379_thumb.jpg

Also notice the color of the fronds, the recurved nature and the over lapping leaflets.

post-351-1188360037_thumb.jpg

Thanks again Caryota Gigas! One thing I noticed is the way the fronds recurve at the top of the frond just like mine. Also That pic of the mature one looks almost like a Decipiens. That would explain why the seed came in as red stem Decipiens on mine  ??? .

Thanks,

Steve

Dean, Thanks for posting that pic! I was just talking today with Jeff about that very palm. He said he will show it to me when I'm out next week.

Steve

So, if the Jeff Marcus ambositrae isn't the "real" ambositrae, what is it??  ???   Any ideas?

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

I would like to know where faky ambo came from, and what it's conservation status is. It's probably more endangered in habitat than real ambo or even extinct now.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

(LJG @ Aug. 28 2007,23:34)

WOW!!  Yep, thats definitely me! What a surprise to see yourself thrown up there so early in the morning. :D

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Tyrone @ Aug. 29 2007,06:42)

I would like to know where faky ambo came from, and what it's conservation status is. It's probably more endangered in habitat than real ambo or even extinct now.

regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

You could be quite right, I also think the D.sp. Fine Leaf..aka...Fakey Ambositrae is now a harder palm to come by, at least in habitat. The last time I asked John Dransfield, he still was uncertain on where in habitat this palm is from. It would make for a great find for someone to find this palm growing in habitat somewhere. So for now, there's no telling on it's conservation status.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

There are at least half a dozen Dypsis "fine leafs" now flowering in California.  It's not as cool as the true ambositrae (for us collectors anyway), but still deserves to be grown much more.  

Has anyone grown a juvenile Dypsis fine leaf in Florida in full sun?  The fronds turn red out here in Cali when grown in full sun, kind of like a Livistona mariae.  I'll try to get a picture.

Yeah, my fakie ambo's fronds are brown in color! So the onilahensis that I've gotten from Jeff over the years is the real ambo? SWEET!! Now I need to find a real onilahensis  :D

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Jeff Marcus' palm in Post 63 looks suspiciously like 'bef', and I don't see much similarity with Jerry's palm in Post 71.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

• 1 year later...

BUMP :drool: Valuable info and pics related to Bohemian thread!

On a side note. Jeff Marcus and Jeff Searles habitat photo both are doubles like your palm will soon be.

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

I Put three in the ground from 1 gallon pots in full sun about 5 years ago and they did great all three are in flower as we speak. They take everything from the cold to sun to water to drought with no issues at all. I have pics in a thread my yard in orlando if you want to take a look.

There are at least half a dozen Dypsis "fine leafs" now flowering in California.  It's not as cool as the true ambositrae (for us collectors anyway), but still deserves to be grown much more.  

Has anyone grown a juvenile Dypsis fine leaf in Florida in full sun?  The fronds turn red out here in Cali when grown in full sun, kind of like a Livistona mariae.  I'll try to get a picture.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

Tiki,

That's great to hear, especially the info. on cold hardiness.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

So, we meet again, 007!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I agree Jeff, I have one small sacrificial plant in the ground that was basically unfazed by 27F and light frost and many nights at or below freezing. I is supposed to be the real deal. We will see.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I agree Jeff, I have one small sacrificial plant in the ground that was basically unfazed by 27F and light frost and many nights at or below freezing. I is supposed to be the real deal. We will see.

Matt

Not that I know a damn thing about Dypsis,but

ya'll are getting fine leaf (fakey) confused with the real true ambositrae! It is easy to see how these ID's get cornfusing :)

What would this board do without Dypsis mysteries,and Cold Weather threads(I resemble the cold weather threads)? :mrlooney::lol::)

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD