IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Gold Form A catechu

Tyrone

Just wondering if the Areca catechu var alba or gold form can handle as much sun as its green cousin? I have one doing fine in the greenhouse, but I may consider planting it out one warm summer day.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Mature specimens grow in full sun in their habitat, but my experience with them is that they will look ten times better in at least half shade. I have a three gallon plant that gets about 4 hours of sun (7am-11am) and seems to do just fine.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

I agree, with our very hot and sunny days here in S. Florida, they look a little better with some dapple shade,especially  during mid day.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 11 years later...

Would love to see pictures of this Areca catechu form, besides my seedlings:

P1030092.thumb.JPG.b61f92a903aada29885ef

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

I just planted a couple of these from 3 gallon pots:

IMG_0184.thumb.PNG.c4126e0c977c482b6ba5f

Before moving to Hilo I was not very familiar with this palm (since it won't grow in California) but after seeing them in gardens here I knew I had to plant a couple!

Tim and Bobs garden in Hilo: (with lots of other great stuff!)

IMG_0114.thumb.JPG.965b801373938830afd20

Bill Austin's yard:

IMG_9932.thumb.JPG.493a99494f97779a4f457

• Upvote 4

you are a blessed man Jason :)

your garden is going to be famous one day

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On 11/5/2017, 8:35:51, Josh-O said:

you are a blessed man Jason :)

your garden is going to be famous one day

Thanks Josh, I can't complain, that's for sure.  We're loving it out here, that's for sure.  

54 minutes ago, Hilo Jason said:

Thanks Josh, I can't complain, that's for sure.  We're loving it out here, that's for sure.  

start a thread soon!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

11 year old thread bump. Good memories. All my gold forms that lived went to Broome. Much better home for them.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.