IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Show off your favorite gingers

junglegalfla

Zing. psuedopungens , looks a little like a shorter Z.longipedunculatum.

post-354-1185622770_thumb.jpg

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

(junglegalfla @ Jul. 27 2007,19:53)

My only problem is I tend to plant other things on the Zingibers because I forget they are there. I do that with other plants like caladiums. I have them coming in up in all kinds of crazy places.  :D

Other than Z. zerumbet and Z. officinale any of the neat Zingibers seem to hate me. I had both Z. vinosum and Z. 'midnight' and have lost them both.

I have a few Curcumas and love their blooms, but as Junglegal stated, I plant over them too. I have 2 different Curcumas this year growing out from under new Bromeliads I've planted. Now I try to put a small rock by the Curcumas, to indicate to me that something is planted there.

In the meantime, if anyone asks, of course I will tell them the Curcumas were deliberately planted under the Bromeliads. :cool:

164433806_53400665e8.jpg

Curcuma gracillima 'candy cane'

164433812_e2a48bd9d9.jpg

Curcuma roscoeana 'Pride of Burma'

• Like 1
Plantation.gif

(Mike4284m @ Jul. 28 2007,00:59)

Any idea of which one this might be?  I took the photo at the Fairchild.

FAIRCHILD020.jpg

Mike

That is an amazing photo  :P

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Tipper, your curcuma - wow!  Beauty!

Here's mine (think it's an alismatifolia)....

post-94-1185717122_thumb.jpg

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

• 4 months later...

I do love the pictures very well.....!! Beautifull....

I do have to find out yet how to put photo's on the forum. I do have a gingercollection of some 100 species....most still young plants......

Real nice!! :D

Here's  a photo of Alpinia zerumbet 'Variegata nana'. I got the plants from Magnolia garden's nursery in Texas. The foliage looks the same as Alpinia zerumbet 'Variegata', but this dwarf only grows 24 to 36 inches tall. Right now my plants are only a few inches high.

dwarfvaregatedginger.gif

This is the Torch Ginger I have growing in the ground inside my heated greenhouse.

redgingerflower003.jpg

Here's a photo of Hedychium 'Vanila Ice'. Mine is a really fast grower. It split the one gallon pot it was in after only a few months.

HEDYCHIUMVanillaIce.jpg

Alpinia japonica 'Sunspice' is another favorite I have growing in my garden.

Gingersunspice.jpg

• Upvote 2

This is to proove to metal fan that indeed I do have a sense of humor :laugh:

My favorite Ginger!

post-18-1196978181_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

My favourite would be cucurma as well.... pity they have to go dormant!!!! These are old photos. I haven't planted them in the ground this year, so I will miss the flowering.... They tend not too flower too well in pots for me.

Regards, Ari :)

post-512-1197066698_thumb.jpg

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Beautifull plants guys. What temps can the typical ginger take?

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

when curcumas go dormant does that mean hey die back in fall and emerge in the spring? (regardless of cold temps?) I have some curcumas and they always seems to wither away in fall (shorter days, dryer, less rain here?) before and freezes come through.

IMG_0415.jpg

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Yes, they go dormant - so make sure you know where you plant them, so you don't plant things on top of them. You have to actually let them go dormant otherwise they might not flower the next year.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Here's one of thousands growing wild at Wangi Falls, Litchfield.

post-51-1197086545_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

• 10 years later...

Curcuma ginger (Curcuma petiolata) blooming in my yard. I had never seen this one around here until last summer at Lowe's (where I work). They sold them in bloom like this: customers would ooh and ahh at them and they became a hot seller (even though each one was about $34 dollars! I thought it was something very tropical but was delighted to find it is root hardy in zone 8. I finally convinced my parents to get one. Planted it last fall with plenty of mushroom compost, but right after doing so, the leaves just started withering away. But this spring, it came back very fast and now looks better than when I bought it. I now think that the leaves withering last fall were due to a natural dieback after the flowers had faded. It does like a lot of water, and if it gets just a little dry, the leaves will start wilting.

IMG_1732.thumb.JPG.2db410f656eb6427a2e31

IMG_1733.thumb.JPG.e2f1bc5f3cddd48d9462c

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Not really a ginger but I have been growing this guy for a couple years and it does pretty good . Just threw out 6 new stalks love the fuzzy ness of the underside of the leaves Costus Barbaratus or comosus not sure which it was bought under barbaratua but I have read the true species is not in cultivation either way beautiful plant awesome flowers . 

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Found in Biennal Colombia 2018 , Garden of Eden , municipality of Palmira . Identify please.5b2825904abe8_Colmbia723.thumb.JPG.24ae65b28252c9132e_Colmbia695.thumb.JPG.7fd4c5b2823d7e7090_Colmbia754.thumb.JPG.96ee65b282427edb24_Colmbia755.thumb.JPG.a26625b282559b1889_Colmbia756.thumb.JPG.fef29

• Upvote 6

Caixeta

Beautiful photos Mauricio. Not 100% sure on all of them, but these would be my guesses:

Photos 1-2 Costus pulverulentus

3-5 Etlingera venusta 

6-7 Etlingera elatior

8 Costus comosus 

9-10 Calathea crotalifera

6 hours ago, Rory said:

6 hours ago, Rory said:

tBelas fotos Mauricio. Não tenho 100% de certeza em todos eles, mas estes seriam meus palpites:

Fotos 1-2 - Costus pulverulentus

3-5 Etlingera venusta 

6-7 Etlingera elatior

8 Costus comosus 

9-10 crotalifera Calathea

Thanks Rory .

Caixeta

• 2 months later...

I just got this one today and note that it hasn't been posted by anyone as a favorite??

ZingiberSpectabile.jpg.fbf84fd48d35f9f05

Richard

On 12/7/2007, 10:10:36, ariscott said:

Yes, they go dormant - so make sure you know where you plant them, so you don't plant things on top of them. You have to actually let them go dormant otherwise they might not flower the next year.

This is an old post, but I'm interested in gingers so I'd like to get it right. Could someone explain what he means by "actually" let them go dormant? As opposed to what?

1 hour ago, Manalto said:

This is an old post, but I'm interested in gingers so I'd like to get it right. Could someone explain what he means by "actually" let them go dormant? As opposed to what?

Since this is an old post and many of the photos on it were mine LOL I'll answer you. Some gingers are naturally deciduous. Off the top of my head these include Curcuma and Zingiber mostly. These two have trigger factors that trigger dormancy and re-emergence. For curcuma it isn;t just warmth but more the return of the monsoon season in Southeast Asia where they are from. Zingiber may be the same. Curcuma have two distinct types....early bloomer that send out signal flowers in the Spring before any leaves come up, and late bloomers that send up leaves and grow into a full plant then bloom around now. Zingibers send up leaves, then in mid to late summer send up their pinecone blooms them the whole plant goes dormant as light and temperature drop. Some Costus gingers also go dormant but most don't. I have a weird one called Costus subsessiles (sp) that always goes dormant no matter what but COstus like barbarous and spicatus and woodsonii don;t. Othe gingers that are 'hardy' but can;t take frost/freeze will go down in winter here in Florida (like Hedychium and COstus and Alpinias) but because the ground does;t freeze the rhizomes keep growing through winter and they come back up in very early spring. Kaempheria species also have a natural dormancy period here. Disappear in winter come back stronger and better in Spring.

• Upvote 3

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

Forgot to mention the Globbas (Globe Gingers) and Schomburghkias (Dancing Ladies). These also are perennials with a natural dormancy period. They emerge, bloom, set seeds and then die back. Mine are all covered in seeds now. You can collect the ripe seeds and broadcast them about in bare spots and next Spring you will have whole new stands of these

• Upvote 2

Thank you for the descriptions of the various types of gingers; that will help a lot in deciding which ones to grow where, (along with my zone limitation), and what to expect from their life cyles. My confusion is the instruction to allow ("actually let") gingers go dormant. This implies that it is possible to prevent them from going dormant. How? Deadheading? Sometimes allowing a plant to go dormant means to stop watering it (For example, turf grass in the northeast US naturally goes dormant during the hot, dry days of summer but often homeowners prevent that with irrigation.); you don't mention withholding water here (the monsoon is quite the opposite, isn't it?) but my concerns are that I will inadvertently prevent a plant from going dormant with my cultural practices, and also that it's tricky to withhold water in Mobile, where frequent rains are the norm. Sorry if I"m putting too fine a point on it!

Edited by Manalto
clarity

No you can't prevent them from going dormant. Hedychiums Costus and some Alpinias (I'd say MOST Alpinias) are ever green unless they are knocked back by a freeze. Since each stalk of Hedychium and Alpinia only bloom once, once its bloomed, the only purpose that stalk has is to set seed and supply the rhizome with energy until it drops said seed and dies a natural death. Costus do iy differently...instead of seeds the old bloom actually forms platelets that make roots. The Bloomed sat;k with the spent flower leans over to the ground and the new baby plantlet roots into the ground. Then the old stalk dies. You can't prevent the Zingibers and Curcuma and whatnot from going dormant. Its a moisture and light thing. The Etlingeras and more tropical gingers you can't plant out in Mobile anyway so I am not addressing them. If you have a greenhouse you can grow some of those in containers. Alpine purpurata will bloom in a container. So will COstus stenophyllus if the container is big enough. Ditto Etlingeras. But they have to be sizable containers to give room for the spread

• Upvote 3

Purchased as Hedychium greenii when it was dormant, to my surprise it grew out all green.  After flowering it turned out to be Hedychium coccineum "tara".  The only ginger I have.

Ginger.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

4 hours ago, metalfan said:

No you can't prevent them from going dormant.

So, the instruction to "let it go dormant" is akin to "let it snow" - and just as useful. ;)

But seriously, I get it now.  ariscott was saying to refrain from cutting them back before they go dormant. (I can be a little dense sometimes - it took me this long to figure it out!):blush:

All these beautiful gingers (and relatives) are inspirational!

Edited by Manalto
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

Blue ginger and Orange one in my garden. 

DSC_0133.JPG

The "Blue Ginger" isn't actually a ginger. It's closely related to the Wandering Jew plants, Tradescantia. They grow easily from cuttings. The problem I have with them is animals love to eat them and they don't last long in my garden.:rage:

• Upvote 1

This species is native to the monsoonal vine forest at Wangi Falls, Litchfield Park, 100miles south west of Darwin, NT

1916422_1242958902387543_2389017622240811975_n.jpg

10406836_1242958999054200_6727667389398972330_n.jpg

12509221_1242959022387531_7854240451497112826_n.jpg

12509837_1242959019054198_5292948808496349513_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, tropicbreeze said:

The "Blue Ginger" isn't actually a ginger. It's closely related to the Wandering Jew plants, Tradescantia. They grow easily from cuttings. The problem I have with them is animals love to eat them and they don't last long in my garden.:rage:

Thanks for the correction. That would explain the zig-zag look to the stems. 

DSC_0132.JPG

Edited by Palm crazy

A couple of my favorites, and a couple i can't remember the names of.

Alpinia henryi  "Pink Perfection"  The only *Ginger* that has survived the journey to the desert. Can't wait to get this one to a better climate. Flowers were quite impressive up close. 
SAM_2331.JPG.dd8ccdcb99078ebe791ab291586

Alpinia "Pinstripe Ginger" While honestly not a huge fan of variegated ..anything, this is one of the few such plants that earned it's place in my collection.
SAM_1326.JPG.b580bc6cff0a49b176206caac86

Two No-id species seen on a trip to San Diego several years ago. Thinking Costus sp.. but not sure. Besides the neat leaf patterning on the non -flowering one, (second picture below)  leaves were also quite fuzzy (might be able to see it in the picture..) Was told it doesn't take cold well.. 

No-id #1
IMG_1972.JPG.bc69ce596f51dbddbf3c8208f16

No-id#2
IMG_1973.JPG.37aa03f0a8583ce4fd0e2ec8d61

-Nathan

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:
46 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

No-id#2
IMG_1973.JPG.37aa03f0a8583ce4fd0e2ec8d61

-Nathan

Costus malortieanus

• Upvote 1

First inflorescence on my Hedychium hybrid "Tac Moto," growing in the shade of my pergola. Originally developed by a plant breeder in Hawai'i. Not as tropical and exotic as some gingers on this page, but has a great scent. ^_^

Hedychium-2018.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3