IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Corypha umbraculifera and lecomtei hardinest

Agathis

Hello from Spain,

This is my first post. I live near Barcelona in zone 9a/9b. I have bought seeds of Corypha lecomtei and umbraculifera, and I would like to know if they can live in my climate.

In my garden, my Phoenix roebelenii has passed 3 winters with some leaf damage (any protection), my musas lost the leafs but not the stem and my Strelitzias are untouched.

Greetings

Dear Friend  :)

even iam a die hard fan of the Corypha Sp.and iam from S.india and here we do not have any cold or frost problems

till this day.but even i have got few seeds amd iam trying these above said varities here in my place.my zone is 10 plus throught the year.but also warm & humid due to coastal seashore(Bay of bengal).

and by the way a very warm & hearty welcome to you and

hope to see you in our main discussion board.

i feel that they should survive,but as long as they are young

keep them near warm locations,before going out to open

natural location..

bye,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Albert,

Welcome to the IPS Forum! Personally, I have serious doubts that you'd be able to grow Coryphas at your location. Coryphas thrive in heat and even though you'd have plenty of heat during the summer, I think it's very questionable whether a Corypha would survive your cool winter conditions. If they could be grown in such an environment, I'm sure there'd be a number of them in Southern California, which is much further south than you are, but I have never seen a decent sized Corypha there. (For those on the U.S. West Coast - Barcelona is roughly on the same latitude at Medford, Oregon, so the sun will never produce as much heat as it does, say in SoCal). I don't know if there are ANY Coryphas on mainland Spain, even in the Malaga area. (Carlo - maybe you can add your opinion?).

In any case - good luck with whatever palm you decide to plant!

Aloha from Hawaii!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

You're going to need a big garden for starters.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi Albert, welcome...

I have many Corypha umbraculifera seedlings here germinated from seeds sent from a palmfriend from Catalunha, Spain. His nickname was Jobomi and he used to post here a lot, maybe he still posts in the Infojardin Forum. I'm not 100% sure but I believe the seeds were collected in Spain in fact.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Hello, then do you think in Malaga can survive?

We have a very sunny and dry warm Mediterranean climate. The coast of Malaga have supreme frostless 10B climates comparable to San Diego in California.

Malaga, South Spain 'Costa del Sol'  Zone 10b

08482.gif

I want to add some light to this post.

Several C. umbraculifera seeds were given to me about two years ago, two times. At first they sprout very quick, but it was winter and none of them worked. Second time was in spring and could have four palms during the summer.

BUT at the end of the summer one of my dogs killed some of my palms included three of the C. umbraculifera so only one was with me.

This last one began to die from its first winter to this last spring, a really long and sad fall.

I have to say at this point that the palm was in a greenhouse, (policarbonate one) not heated.

The girl that gave to me the seeds is from Barcelona, and not, the seeds weren't from Spain, in fact there were from Venezuela from where were sent by an another member of a spanish forum. Excelent people.

Also want to say I have one P. robelenii and has not leaf damage in any of the last four winters. It's located outside with no protection.

Hey i'm very glad to see more spanish people at this forum, bienvenido Albert un saludo.

Carlos

Alicante (East coast of Spain)

Mediterranean climate, very hot and dry summers and mild almost frost-free winters.

Poor rain average.

Dear Carlo's  :)

all i can say is try to find out,if its possible since even iam a fan of these varities.but i live in a very hot climate zone and many

have told me that corypha's are all from south asia.

but i hardly see many or any in around my city.

so for the sake of love for these varities i request to go ahead

to see if they last & survive your climate !

All the best on that..

love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I believe that the Coryphas but near to Barcelona they are in the Islas Canarias (Palmetum). I don't know none that is healthy and look well, my at least one in Málaga, for that that in my opinion in BCN won't prosper planted in the earth.

Murcia (Spain) C.E.

9B zone

In the first place, very I am very thankful for all the answers.

I have been reading the answers carefully, and I think that perhaps the umbraculiferas could work if they are taken care in larger pots the firt 10 years o so. But, I would like to know if lecomtei is really more resistant to the cold (this says diverse web pages).

Thanks and greetings

I have also read that the C.Lecomtei is the more cool tolerates, but not the enough for BCN.

Murcia (Spain) C.E.

9B zone

Hi,

If you ask to a man ( Ismael ) who help me in the farm he sure tell you this palm is a real weed.

I´ve planted four seedlings ( two leaves ) in the ground three years ago in the middle of a pineapple plantation. They are in a very exposed area just 50 meter from the waves of the sea where they receive very strong cold winds and salt spray. Ismael has burned them many times with herbicide ( he said to me that he got confused but I suspect he does not want any giant in the middle of the pineapple plants ). Two of them have other plants covering them and a lot of weeds around. Few days ago I saw two of them and they have leaves of 60 cm.

I do not have Phoenix robelleni but sure that this one would be worse than the Corypha in the same conditions.

I´m not sure it survive in a open exposure in Barcelona, but I suspect that the south of mainland Spain could be a good place for a Corypha.

Talking about Coryphas and Venezuela. I remember that the Corypha umbraculifera at the Jardín Botánico the Caracas had bloomed last time I saw it. I remember this plant when I saw it for first time ( I was young ) and August Braun showed it me proudly and he confessed to me that he would never have thought that this palm would grow so well there!

Well, if we think that Caracas this one to thousand meters of altitude, more or less, why not to try it!

Regards,

Carlos Simón

the visual-man wants some visuals,and let's all go for a break

here is a link in webshots.com site on lovely CORYPHA'S

iam a memeber in webshots for many years there and all

ways loved visiting palmbob,walt & gtwine's pages..

here is that link and feast your senses on those lovely

coryphas_

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/105322818QWGTJW

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 9 years later...

Hi Agathis,

Im from morocco (Rabat) and i would like to get some seeds and try Corypha lecomtei.
Could you share your experience with this palm in Barcelona ? Or anyone in the same climate region maybe SoCal ?

I know this post is old from 2007, 10 years now... Maybe we can get some updates in 2017 : ) 

Thanks.