IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

broken teddy bear

tikitiki

My neighbors oak tree fell on one of my teddy bears this morning. The trunk bent right where red meets white. I have since staked the palm up but if anyone has any ideas on survival rates or tips I would really appreciate them. It was the tallest of three with about two foot of wood.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

tikitiki:

Nice to meet you!

Sorry to hear the bad news.

I've dropped a lot of [fecal material] on my palms, and it's surprising the abuse they will survive.

I'd stake it up, maybe give it a splint, keep it well-watered, and pray.  I can't promise anything, each case is different, but, again, I've had much more occasion than I'd like to know about the horrors of surviving in Dave's Death Camp.

How about a picture?

And, best to you!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

tikitiki:

I note that you're in Orlando, FL, which means that summer's furnace is stoked full blast.  

I have nearly murdered a number of Teddy Bears (I'm assuming you mean Dypsis leptocheilos, not lastelliana) and they've come back from the near-dead with watering and more watering.  

They'll love the heat, and I'm optomistic for yours!

Let us know what happens, good or bad.  We'll gloat, or cry with you, as the situation demands.

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks for the support. And yes it was or is  dypsis leptocheilos. I'll post a picture of it. it has been staked and I don't think it is worth the risk to un stake it for a picture.

Post when ready!

dave

i cant seem to get the picture to attach

Are you trying to attach it from your computer or from a photohosting site? I know that if it is from your own computer it has to be smaller than 100 K. If that is the problem, a note will come up saying that the file i too large and you just need to resize the image.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

I will agree with Dave.  I would certainly remove some lower leaves and tie a splint to hold the head up. That includes tieing the leaves all up together. If you want any chance of it surviving, the head needs to be upright.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Hurricane Jeanne in 2004 blew my teddy bear on a 45 degree angle and loosened and broke roots. I uprighted it and staked it and it recovered fine. Here's a pic right after the hurricane:

194152283ULlmKt_th.jpg

by waltcat100

Then, one year later, Hurricane Wilma blew my teddy bear over again, and again I staked it! But note the trunk growth after one year (from the first photo) even though it got blown over:

486146021dkDYbJ_th.jpg

by waltcat100

Today the trunk has about another foot of growth on it but I don't have a recent photo of it. I'm holding off taking a photo until it regrows most of it's canopy that got fried on 2/14/06 from my coldest day of last winter.

Mad about palms

(tikitiki @ Jul. 31 2006,13:30)

My neighbors oak tree fell on one of my teddy bears this morning.

Ouch!  Oh, I know how that feels!

I have an oak that whacked my favorite dypsis.

The malicious palm-killer is in my backyard.  But not for much longer .

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Hmm.

Walt, I think tikitiki's was tweakied in the bud, i.e., bent where it joins the stem.  A bad, but not necessarily fatal injury.

Yours just got a little, as the Mexicans say, burracho   . . .

dave (hic)

Dave: If the bud was destroyed, then that's another thing all together. Yes, far more serious that what happened to my teddy bear.

Also, during Hurricane Jeanne in 2004 a large branch snapped off a large oak tree I have and the branch, which built up momentum while falling, crashed into the top of one of my queen palms that had about 8 feet of trunk.

The crash broke the top of the queen palm off, maybe 6-7 fronds. I thought the bud area may have been totally broken away. However, after about one year a new, but smaller than usual, spear started to emerge. Now many spears have emerged, some opened, and they are getting larger all the time. I think my queen is going to make it. I was kind of hoping that if it did make it, the trauma of the injury might induce the queen to produce multiple heads, but it appears it won't. I will be satisfied if it just comes back normally as the queen is part of a triple ensemble, and if it had died my ensemble would be a total waste.

Mad about palms

(Walt @ Aug. 01 2006,08:38)

Dave: If the bud was destroyed, then that's another thing all together. Yes, far more serious that what happened to my teddy bear.

Also, during Hurricane Jeanne in 2004 a large branch snapped off a large oak tree I have and the branch, which built up momentum while falling, crashed into the top of one of my queen palms that had about 8 feet of trunk.

The crash broke the top of the queen palm off, maybe 6-7 fronds. I thought the bud area may have been totally broken away. However, after about one year a new, but smaller than usual, spear started to emerge. Now many spears have emerged, some opened, and they are getting larger all the time. I think my queen is going to make it. I was kind of hoping that if it did make it, the trauma of the injury might induce the queen to produce multiple heads, but it appears it won't. I will be satisfied if it just comes back normally as the queen is part of a triple ensemble, and if it had died my ensemble would be a total waste.

Your tale of the queens reminds me of a friend of mine who had a Royal on a street in LA, and some scuzzball cut off all but about 1/3 of the crownshaft, and ran off with the crown of leaves!

WTF???

Anyway, it grew back, and driving by today, I can't even tell, and don't even remember which one it was.

Your queen will be fine.

dave

Hey tikitiki:

I doinked this back up to the top to inquire how your palm's doing.

A gentle poke with a concerned finger should tell whether it's knitting or not.  

Let us know . . .

dave

I have checked it twice every day except today. I'll check again tomorrow. It has not gone into a rapid decline. So my fingers are crossed. I'll post a picture when I can figure it out. I know alot more about palms then computers. I'm not ready to chain saw it into yard art yet.

this is what I came home to today. The one with the support is the first one  and it is bent over higher than before and blown over at 180 degrees from it original bend. The second teddy went down with it today. We had high winds but these guys made it through 3 huuricanes a few years ago.

100_1031.jpg

100_1030.jpg100_1028.jpg100_1029.jpg

That's a shame.  I've never seen palms come back from that sort of bend, I doubt either will make it.

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

I think something else must be going on with them.

Any ideas?

• 4 months later...

*Doink* as Dave says!

Did these ever make it?

Karel Castro

Burbank, CA (San Fernando Valley)

A proud owner of many potted palms :)

Not to pick a fight, but if the bud is intact they may recover.  That looks bad, it's not good, but it might not be the end of the world.  DON'T give up on it.

I did exactly the same thing to a Chambeyronea, cut down a limb off my tree of lust and desire, CRASH! tweaked the new red leaf, have mercy!  And it recovered, though not overnight.

Again, if the growth bud is intact, Teddy will be Bully!  Again.  A historical analogy . . . .

Do, please, keep us apprized.

This is one of those subjects like amputated limbs regrowing that offer hope.

dave

:(

I'll post a picture of the last of three. It is the only one that made it .The smallest of the group that had its big brothers to take the brunt

SIgh.

This seems to be a bad year for Teddies!

dave