IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Whats your rarest palm?

Howeadypsis

What is this Dave? Got some details or pics?

Actinokentia "Diva" not much to look at.

So far.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I think mine would have to be Pseudopheonix ekmanii.

Wow.

Skell's Bells

Inland Central Florida, 28N, 81W. Humid-subtropical climate with occasional frosts and freezes. Zone 9b.

I may not have any rare palms, but I have taken photos of a few... here is the rarest palm I have seen: Pritchariopsis in Nong Nooch Gardens.

post-426-1249516465_thumb.jpg

I think mine would have to be Pseudopheonix ekmanii.

Good choice! That is a beautiful speciman.

Here's one of mine thats been growing in Arizona for 6 or more years.Got it as a small 1 gallon seedling for $20. Although not as fat as the Florida examples,mine has been a slow but steady grower and is currently 25 inches tall overall.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Pseudophoenixekmanii001.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

So many interesting palms that I have never heard of before; thanks for starting this thread, Howeadypsis!

As others have commented, I am not sure what constitutes a “rare” palm. I noticed that we hear the word “rare” a lot during purchasing trips to nurseries. The term is either very loosely used or we have a lot of rare palms. I believe the former to be true. What is important to us is that our garden contain palms we don't see regularly.

Here is the most recent “rare” palm we have purchased, Pholidostachys pulchra. We had never seen it before and found it very beautiful even though it needs some TLC. Sorry the photo is so cluttered; the smaller palms on the left are different species of Pinanga.

Lee

post-3412-1249531987_thumb.jpg

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

I couldn't choose just one, so here goes:

Coccothrinax alexandri, C. baracoensis, C. garciana,C. munizii, C. pseudorigida

Copernicia cowellii, Copernicia ekmanii

Thrinax rivularis, Hemithrinax ekmaniana

Mike Harris

Caribbean Palms Nursery

Loxahatchee, Florida USA

Mine would be:

Chamaedorea Tuerckheimii

Licuala Mapu

Variegated Caryota Mitis

Coccothrinax Borhidiana

a four leafed Thrinax Ekmaniana

Chamaerops Humilis "volcano"

• Like 1

Tom

Baltimore, Maryland

Kris, that Corypha Locomtei is very pretty.

Dear Troy :)

Iam glad you liked those stills,here is a still of the one that is growing in our house garden planted few months ago.And these seeds are avaliable with Komikrit & Rps.com

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ic=4234&hl=

http://www.rarepalmseeds.com/shop/CorLec.shtml

post-108-1249715323_thumb.jpg

Lots of love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I just started growing palms a couple of years ago, but it didn't take long before I was addicted.....

I have some rarities that are sprouting now:

Attalea dubia

Phoenix theophrastii ssp. 'Golkoy'

Trachycarpus oreophilus

Trachycarpus geminisectus

Sabal uresana 'Green Form'

These are all still small, mostly just planted this year from seed, so I won't bother posting pics of single strap leaves (or in the case of the Golkoy and A. dubia, pots with germinated seeds that haven't broken the surface yet).

• Upvote 1

Got palms?

• 9 years later...
On 8/2/2009, 7:44:52, ErikSJI said:

Mine would be the Butia X cocos.

post-1930-1249256593_thumb.jpg

post-1930-1249256660_thumb.jpg

So, have to ask... what did this end up being???? 

I know this is a 12 year old post so assuming it was the real deal the beans would be spilled by now :D

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

Trachycarpus takil....

Much prettier than Trachycarpus fortunei, hopefully it’s just as hardy (or hardier) as I’ve seen mixed reviews.

Red Tahiti dwarf (Haari Papua,) 

More than likely they're ubiquitous in the tropics, but for my neck of the woods, they're quite rare.

20190116_171534.jpg

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

This thread's a great time capsule, both in terms as what people consider "rare" at a point in time, as well as the aggregate of knowledge within the forum.

• Like 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Agree with Bret.  My "rare" palm is a Cryosophila warscewiczii that I am growing as an indoor container plant.  Not sure how rare it is but I certainly don't see it discussed much here and really don't understand why it isn't more popular.  My rarest in-ground palm is either Acrocomia aculeata or Brahea calcarea which aren't really rare but I would say rare around here!

Jon

Jon Sunder

Hmm this is a hard question. Most of the palms I am growing are rare in North Carolina but common elsewhere.

My "rarest" palm is a tie between my Rhapis and my Washingtonia filifera. I would also say my Washingtonia robusta, but believe it not, there used to be a lot of robustas in Eastern NC that were planted when the climate was milder in the '90s but have been quickly dying off within last two decades. 

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC