IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hello from Michigan

RaychHasDatePalms

Hello, everyone! I'm not sure if you do intro posts here, but here I am. :) I've been lurking for years and got approved today! 

I live in Michigan, and also spent almost 5 years over in the Middle East, with date palms galore.......  I have been attempting to grow some phoenix dactylifera here in MI from seeds in pots. (Yes, I got the seeds from a box of dates, as you do when just starting. :P ) I started them about a year ago and they were doing really well until I transferred them to the basement this past fall with a "grow light"......... we will see if the 1 of 3 is sleeping due to shock, or if I have to start all over...... poor little guy. I got the grow light bulb from my parents, so no idea if it's a dud or not. (The other plants seem cool with it; I only have sub-tropical plants at this time.) 

I also have a Chicago fig that loves life and is doing much better than the palms fared! He has lots of new growth at the moment, knock on wood. 

Nice to meet everyone. :) 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Welcome! A wealth of knowledge awaits you in this forum. In the same manner Jurassic Park left the idea of "not seeing birds in the same way." After Palmtalk, you will not see palms the same way either.

Enjoy

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

One of my favorite American songs is:

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Welcome to PT.  The Federic Meijer Botanical Garden in Grand Rapids, MI is pretty amazing.  Their tropical arboretum has some very rare palms.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Just now, joe_OC said:

Welcome to PT.  The Federic Meijer Botanical Garden in Grand Rapids, MI is pretty amazing.  Their tropical arboretum has some very rare palms.

I am actually getting married in Sept in their Japanese garden, and the tropical conservatory is my rain backup plan!!!!!! :D Talk about a can't-lose situation! Which palms do they have that are very rare? I can make my way fairly decently around a palm collection, but have no idea which are rare and which aren't (other than my two favorites, cocos and the date palm, being very common....)

• Like 1

They have a Lodoicea maldivica (cocoa de mer) palm there.  It looked pretty good the last time I visited.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Just now, joe_OC said:

They have a Lodoicea maldivica (cocoa de mer) palm there.  It looked pretty good the last time I visited.

Oh wow!!!! I'll have to look extra close the next time I'm there! 

Welcome to Palm Talk! :)

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

Good luck on the phoenix dactylifera.  I started off growing date palms in Pennsylvania.  Welcome to the insane asylum... I mean club. ;) 

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

17 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Good luck on the phoenix dactylifera.  I started off growing date palms in Pennsylvania.  Welcome to the insane asylum... I mean club. ;) 

Hahahaha! Thanks! I'm about to attempt round two..... round one was fairly successful, but it's been over a year since I tried to germinate any seeds, and our new apartment isn't nearly as warm as our old one.... have any tips to help quell the insanity? ;) I think I shocked mine when I moved them in for the winter this year... what was your main issue with them? 

Hello Raych,

A warm welcome to PalmTalk! :) And we love intro posts. But about "quelling the insanity" - hmmm... The general concept here is more about how we can improve on it and take it to new heights. :mrlooney: With the ultimate of course being to up and leave and move to the Big Island of Hawaii for the ultimate palm growing experience. With your upcoming wedding, a honeymoon to the Big Island might be a good idea - in many ways! :rolleyes:

Aloha from a longtime Big Island resident and palm enthusiast,

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

6 hours ago, RaychHasDatePalms said:

Hahahaha! Thanks! I'm about to attempt round two..... round one was fairly successful, but it's been over a year since I tried to germinate any seeds, and our new apartment isn't nearly as warm as our old one.... have any tips to help quell the insanity? ;) I think I shocked mine when I moved them in for the winter this year... what was your main issue with them? 

Mine were relatively trouble-free as long as they had a deep pot to grow in and access to water at the bottom of the pot.  I had them in three liter soda bottles with the tops cut off and let them dry out most of the way between waterings.  There would usually be a small resevior of water at the bottom and the rest of the medium would dry most of the way, which mimics how they survive in the wild.  If moving them to the grow light seems to have caused stress, put them near a window where they can get natural light for a few hours a day and see if they improve.  If they perish, the good news is that there are tons more date pits to be found at the super market.  I have 4 of my seed-grown dactylifera from another batch of seeds lining my driveway down here now.  

Quelling insanity isn't usually too difficult.  I tend to take @bgl's approach and just try to improve on it.  ;) 

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

WELCOME! You are in very good company here along with many other zone pushers!! :w00t:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

46 minutes ago, Missi said:

WELCOME! You are in very good company here along with many other zone pushers!! :w00t:

Hooray! 

You have just entered a great and fantastic world!

Welcome to palm talk!

Best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

@RaychHasDatePalms, welcome to Palm Talk!

See my PM private message and expand your horizons.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Welcome to Palmtalk from freezing MI!

I started out in the cold of Virginia and ended up moving to Puerto Rico.

Like HI, PR makes growing palms much easier, but I enjoyed years of greenhouse fun and zone pushing before saying no to further heating (or a/c) bills.

Lots of nice folks in the IPS who continue to help me learn and allow me to have more fun traveling too.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Cindy Adair