IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Geonoma Atrovirens

Gbarce

Haven't Posted in a long while.  I hope this makes up for it.  Sharing pictures of my  Geonoma atrovirens.

It's finally developing that unreal looking deep blue green metallic looking color 

DSC_6563.JPG

DSC_6567.JPG

DSC_6568.JPG

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

8 minutes ago, Gbarce said:

don't remember where i got them but definitely not Floribunda

Thanks Gene - reason for asking was I think Jeff had two types - a deep green like yours, and an almost black type. I was trying to figure out if they are the same, and get darker or blacker with age - or they are two different variations.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I noticed that these are slowly getting darker and more bluish/metallic.  When they were smaller, I was actually disappointed with them because they were just green-- an unusual darker shade of green but nothing like the photos I have seen on the internet.  But it does seem that the color "improves with age".  Even the texture is changing -- thicker and more leathery now.  the leaves have more substance.  

But this is my first time with this species so I really don't know what to expect

• Like 1

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

• 4 years later...

Gina, I can only relate what my experience has been with my G. atrovirens. I acquired three one gallon plants, a bit on the small side, but healthy. They were all medium green in color and remained so even after a few years in the ground. Slowly two of them became darker, not black, but more like Gene’s in an above post. The largest one has always remained a medium green color and is a bit more vigorous. They all throw a deep purple new leaf.

I don’t think at this stage that any of them will exhibit the black color, but that’s cool, I love the ones I have. They are beautiful.

I’ll post some photos in a bit.

Tim 

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 2 months later...

Bump - does anyone have any experience growing these in a cool climate (thinking Nor Cal, New Zealand, coastal Southern Aus etc) or Mediterranean climate? I’d assume it would have some tolerance to cool as long as frost and extreme heat is avoided but haven’t really heard about anyone growing it in temperate climates. 

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

I have 2 but bring them inside in winter, as don't want to risk it. :) 

Created a indoor greenhouse with aquarium underneath so stays 22C at 68% with minimal fluctuations.

Edited by Palms Brisbane

Thanks for the bump Tim. Here are a few photos I meant to post earlier. The leaf tips were beginning to brown especially after an unusual hot dry spell, so I added a good amount of mulch. That seemed to eliminate that condition. As I iterated above, the largest one is medium green and more vigorous, the smaller two are a much deeper green. They have started to flower and are just ‘killer’ palms. Height wise, they are now about 48” tall.

Tim 

IMG_2376.jpeg

IMG_2363.jpeg

Edited by realarch
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Here’s the largest one, they are shaded most of the day with late afternoon sun.

Tim

IMG_2478.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

6 hours ago, realarch said:

Here’s the largest one, they are shaded most of the day with late afternoon sun.

Tim

IMG_2478.jpeg

Fell off my chair... That is an amazing palm.