IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A. Maxima question

enigma99

One of my maximas started developing this brown spot on the trunk within the last month or two. Ideas?

It has been growing. New leaf is opening now. I have a cunninghamiana that got some trunk rot a few years back but grows like nothing ever happened. Hope it’s not rot, it can be unsightly..

BC8D4AE5-CA96-4826-95FA-6DB719D90E87.jpeg

Mine does the same thing as the old boot starts to get ready to fall off . I can see that frond has been cut off on that boot 

33 minutes ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Mine does the same thing as the old boot starts to get ready to fall off . I can see that frond has been cut off on that boot 

Ok that’s good. I got a bit worried since it was extended below into the trunk rings.

I too have this same issue with my Maximas. The first time it happened was last fall and I blasted the palm with everything I could thinking it was pink rot. However the tree is fine and now a newer Maxima I planted in November has the same thing going on. I’m hitting it with copper fungicide just to be safe. It’s weird the Alexandrae and Cunninghamianas I have do not do this with their old crown shafts but seeing enough people on here confirm they have the same thing makes me feel better that it’s a natural process.

Dug into my maxima today a bit. Under the leaf was pink rot! I scraped it off a bit, and the trunk is a bit soft. I don’t think it will die but might look ugly. Trying to keep damage to a minimum until it gets to 100 degrees again and dries out.

Sprayed some copper fungicide all over it, hopefully it will improve 

2020C6FE-44A3-49CD-807B-9FF3E23A5F19.jpeg

I have every Archontophoenix species in my garden mostly in multiples and they all do extemely well but my maxima is a bit quirky. It always has a full head of fronds but on occasion, a brand new opening frond will shrivel and die halfway from the tip towards the stem and I end up having to cut off half a leaf. It's strange and I hope it outgrows this phenomenon as it ages. It's only got a few growth rigs on its trunk. Perhaps maxima are a bit touchy in general?

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I cut it down today, was a beautiful palm and healthy. But rot sat in 3/4 to inch into the trunk. Didn’t want a hole in the trunk in the front... maybe I will regret my decision. Now maxima less... maybe it is a blessing in disguise? My well established decipiens has been extremely healthy and has plenty of room to grow now

F58B337A-1520-4D72-B846-5AB5B7F7C170.jpeg

Bummer dude. My larger ones are still doing well here in Clayton Jungle.

0FDABE34-A719-42C5-B939-183282D5F40C.jpeg

9167366F-96A4-4DB1-AA95-92EC10A138D7.jpeg

• Like 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

33 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Bummer dude. My larger ones are still doing well here in Clayton Jungle.

0FDABE34-A719-42C5-B939-183282D5F40C.jpeg

9167366F-96A4-4DB1-AA95-92EC10A138D7.jpeg

Looking good. Yeah bummed out. Didn’t want a tree that looked like an animal had been chewing on it. 

Pink rot settled to the bottom of a dying leaf (inside) and spread from there. I have seen a lot of kings with holes in their trunk and I didn’t want it in the front. Oh well...

Really sad. This cold epic rain storm that’s hitting us has me concerned about all of my Archontophoenix and the Royal I just planted. The Royal mostly as it’s the only one I have at the moment. Archontophoenix can be finicky with the pink rot. I’ve found the best move is to plant lots of them and hope for the healthiest to pull through. Lost one Cunninghamiana and an Alexander to the pink rot myself. Currently I have 28 total planted so if I have to cut one down to due to fungus it’s not as sad. Currently have 13 Alexandrae, 11 Cunninghamiana, and 4 Maximas. Might have to still add a couple more Maximas but they are hard to find in the inland empire.

31 minutes ago, James B said:

Really sad. This cold epic rain storm that’s hitting us has me concerned about all of my Archontophoenix and the Royal I just planted. The Royal mostly as it’s the only one I have at the moment. Archontophoenix can be finicky with the pink rot. I’ve found the best move is to plant lots of them and hope for the healthiest to pull through. Lost one Cunninghamiana and an Alexander to the pink rot myself. Currently I have 28 total planted so if I have to cut one down to due to fungus it’s not as sad. Currently have 13 Alexandrae, 11 Cunninghamiana, and 4 Maximas. Might have to still add a couple more Maximas but they are hard to find in the inland empire.

Yeah all you can do is plant a lot of them. Not all will make it... I have a maxima in the back that is in partial shade, and just isn’t that healthy... really slow growing for whatever reason. This one was super healthy and going at a super fast pace, but still got pink damage. It started at the end of fall, so not sure what else I could have done. It didn’t see temps that low either... 

I’m growing a lot of Alexandre, Cunninghamina too. Around 18 Alexandre and they have been completely bulletproof for me. Takes 100F full sun, and cold good. And they are super beautiful. Down to 1 Maxima. Have about 10 tuckeriis that are starting to get bigger. Couple small Myolensis and purpureas. 

Out of all of these, I think the Alexandre is the winner for their combination of looks and hardiness. 

I’m not looking forward to the cold rain coming... that just invites fungus and other pathogens to start wrecking havoc. Hoping for a warm 2nd half of February. 

Edited by enigma99

I agree Alexandrae is personally the most beautiful palm in my book although Chambeyronia Macrocarpa gives it a run for its money. So far all of my Archontophoenix have seen as high as 113 degree temps and been fine I just make sure to water a lot in summer. The cold concerns me more due to potential for rot to set in. I’ll probably pick up another Maxima eventually and I also would like to try out Myolensis. 

Edited by James B