IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sad Bangalow

M1n3tt3

Hi folks, novice gardener here in Melbourne, Australia. Wondering what I have done to upset a Bangalow I planted from a nursery-bought pot towards the end of our spring, about 4 months ago. Was very healthy looking and reasonably advanced when it went in, about 2.5m tall.

It has since gradually developed browning on the ends of all the fronds (the lowest fronds went first), and no new fronds are developing.

We haven't had any frosts since planting, and a couple of really hot days but mostly nice.

What have I done? Is this dehydration maybe? Or could it be some kind of position/planting shock? I'm really hoping it's not root rot, as it looks from the soil around the base that the water drainage may not be great. I've noticed water pools there for a little while after watering.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

20190113_194155.jpg

Edited by M1n3tt3
Accidentally included other information from cut/ paste of my question on another forum.

I’m not an expert on these, but I do have theee of them. Jim in Los Altos has made several posts on this site with good information about the Cunninghamiana that I have followed and had success with. It’s my understanding that you can’t over water them and based on my experience that seems accurate. They don’t like direct sunlight or excessive heat, or wind. I have one that’s planted next to a fence like yours is and the fronds that make contact with the fence look like yours. I think it’s just from hitting and rubbing the fence. It looks like you have some unopened spears. When I planted all of mine it took a few months for the first Spears to open. After that they sped up. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks Jeff. I guess the top of the tree is a little sun and wind exposed, though the fence protects the base from the wind and the sun. Perhaps I just need to water it more.

It looks a little like mine did after being exposed to the hot Florida sun. They can't take full sun here when young, but I can't speak to how they do in other areas. 

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Thanks, appreciate the input! Could well be a combo of sun, wind and not yet established root system... I'll try to up the watering, add compost dressing and give some seasol. Was just concerned that I didn't want to add water if drainage was the problem. I'll post back here with any progress! :-) Thanks again

3 minutes ago, M1n3tt3 said:

Thanks, appreciate the input! Could well be a combo of sun, wind and not yet established root system... I'll try to up the watering, add compost dressing and give some seasol. Was just concerned that I didn't want to add water if drainage was the problem. I'll post back here with any progress! :-) Thanks again

It really is true that you can't over water these palms. I had some A myolensis at an old property in an area that would flood with few inches of water for over a week at a time. The flooding killed my other plants (flowers, crotons, etc.), but the archontophoenix never blinked. 

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Yep flood it. Give it a liberal amount of rooster booster available from an Australia wide gardening and hardware store that shall remain nameless and then stand back and watch it put out deep green leaves that handle the sun. These palms can grow in wet soil during the summer. They'll even grow in a fishpond, so that should give you an idea of how much water they'll take and love.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I've had much the same experience. Got mine from a local greengrocer for just NZD20 no idea where they get their stock from but their palms are cheap, labels are hand written only. Planted it 1st September, saw some 1C overnight lows early but no freeze up. The fronds gradually browned at tips over first 3 months and growing spear did not move at all. Thought it was in terminal decline. But by Christmas the browning stabilised and the emerging  spear actually doubled in length.  But then it seemed to stop again. The browning has not got worse it seems to be just exactly paused/treading water ATM. Plan for this palm is tough love. Unlike my expensive R. Sapidia/Nikau won't be helping it over winter. It's an experimental planting. Suspect yours M1n3tt3 will do better than mine long term, mine has a handful of -2C to -3C radiation frosts every winter coming at it.

20190121_075133.jpg

Edited by cbmnz

If there was truly an aquatic palm genus it would be Archontophoenix. I get seeds sprouting in my large pond as much as a foot deep and they grow quickly when the leaves peak out of the water's surface. I pull them because my pond is fiberglass (22,000 gallons) and don't want them maturing and possibly damaging it. I've let a few grow a few feet tall before removing them. Their roots simply anchored into the river rock near the ponds shore. I water the heck out of the rest of my Archys in the garden. The oldest are 28 years old. 

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens