IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coconuts in the Canary Islands

Carlo Morici

Here are some fresh pictures taken in Tenerife in late May.

They are taken on different places of different coasts.

Paseo Marítimo de Punta del Hidalgo

Cooler, cloudier and rainier Northern coast

In this area coconuts produce few or no fruits, they are weak during their first years and suffer if shaded. They only grow close to the coastline.

S4022467_redimensionar.jpg

S4022468_redimensionar.jpg

Hotel Bahía del Duque - Costa Adeje

Hotter, sunnier and drier Southern coast

This area is much better for coconuts, they often fruit freely and grow steadily even as juveniles. They can also be grown a bit inland (= upland).

S4022417_redimensionar.jpg

Carlo

• Upvote 2

The beauty of the Canary Islands is beyond dispute. I think anyone who has viewed your posts on this site is ready to pack their bags! I do not care if the coconuts bear fruit or not. Thanks again and please keep them coming.

What you look for is what is looking

Thank you Bubba!

There are no coconut trees here but you can't miss the sight behind the corner in Punta del Hidalgo, a walk away from the first two pictures of this thread, the coconut walkway disappears into the protected area:

CopiadeS4022471_redimensionar.jpg

And this is the old cocotero in Parque García Sanabria, which is the main park in Santa Cruz.  The park is 80 years old and this be roughly the age of the specimen. The palm is not very beautiful, but it is still tall and thriving. Maybe it is just too old for our area or just too tall to be treated for whitefly, mealybug and other well known friends of Cocos nucifera.

P1010034_redimensionar.jpg

The sculpture below is "Monumento al Gato" by Oscar Domínguez, 1973.

Carlo

• Upvote 1

It looks like the Northern coast of Tenerife is just a bit warmer than Funchal over on Madeira. I have seen pictures of trunking coconuts growing near the harbor in Funchal. The eternal spring of the Canaries as well as Madeira, the Azores, and many places at elevation in Central America has to be my favorite climate. You can grow almost everything.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

You are right the No.Coast of Tenerife is less than 1 C warmer than So.Madeira in TMA but the climate is similar.

So. Madeira is about  32º30' N

No. Tenerife is about  28º20' N

Latitude also helps but all the Macaronesian archipelagos share an oceanic climate. Azores is much colder, at 38 N - No Cocos and Cape Verde is tropical, around 15º N - Coconuts and breadfruits are grown in the green ravines.

I rescued one more picture, taken a few years ago:

Playa de La Arena in SW Tenerife. Hot, sunny, and windless.

CocosPlayaSJuanNov2002_redimensiona.jpg

Carlo

• Upvote 2

Carlo, thanks for the great photography  :D

What's amazing is that No Tenerife is practically in the mid latitudes - farther north than Tampa/Corpus Christi Tx  :P

For example, I doubt cocos can thrive in central Baja California.  Probably too dry  ???

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Dear Carlos  :)

those stills looks fabulous and the coconut trees looks very

different_the stem or the trunk is very bright white and

very thin in appearence when compared to our varaties...

and in one still in which you have mentioned a protected zone..

i see few CIDP red fruticas,the coco's really don't stand a

chance in front of these big beauties.

i don't know why my country folks till this day have not grown

or cultivated the CIDP.all here say since this work is left to me  :D

i think i will be successeful in at least growing a few cidp in

our town. ???

and reading some reviews on the cidp's wilt fungus desiease,it's time folks like me start propogating these

beauties in different climatic zones,in distinct lands...

dear carlos thanks a lot for those lovely sceneries of your

place.

Love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

happ,

theres cocos in santa rosalia on the mar de cortez and bahía tortugas on pacific ocean in baja california like 28 n. latitude.

im from la paz, baja california sur, we have cocos every where there.

• Upvote 1

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Thanks Carlo for the pics and info. It confirms what we know Cocos really like. Heat, heat, and heat. The pics on the beach on the SW side show them growing in black sand. That should help really well, and if there's no wind it would be a "hotbox" even in winter.

I'm going to get one going at my place, even if it never fruits. My Samoan one is now at the 5 leaf stage and still growing well in my shadehouse. I haven't watered it for 2 months and it's seen a few 9C nights and gets up to the low to mid twenties in the day. Come Oct Nov, it's going in the ground into a carefully selected spot.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 5 years later...

Oh no.... you need fresh coconut cream for that cake recipe, Carlo :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

¡Hola Carlo, gracias por las fotos!

Carlo, thanks for the great photography biggrin.gif

What's amazing is that No Tenerife is practically in the mid latitudes - farther north than Tampa/Corpus Christi Tx tongue.gif

For example, I doubt cocos can thrive in central Baja California. Probably too dry ???

It seems there are some in central Baja, but what is sure is that there are thousand of thriving Cocos nucifera on Bermuda island at 32º latitude, so even further north compared to Tenerife...

Sebastian, garden on La Palma island, 370 m (1200 feet) above sea level / USDA Zone 11/12 ; Heat zone IV / V

Record High: 42°C (107F) / Record Low: 9°C (48°F). Rain: 600 mm (24 inches) per year with dry/wet seasons. Warm Season: July-November / Cool Season: December-June
Warmest month (August/September) average minimum temperature : 21°C (70°F) / Warmest month (August/September) average maximum temperature : 28°C (82°F)
Coldest month (February/March) average minimum temperature : 14,5°C (58°F) / Coldest month (February/March) average maximum temperature : 21°C (70°F)

Temperature of the sea : minimum of 20°C (68°F) in march, maximum of 25°C (77°F) in September/October.

Here is a photo of the tallest one I know on La Palma. It's even bigger than it seems as one can only see 2/3rd of its trunk on this photo.

Its growing inside a banana field. Unfortunately, it is dying as the sprinklers the owners have installed seem to cause very serious roting at the base of the trunk. The base up to a couple of meters high (6 to 7 ft) is completely dark, black or deep green, with large holes, which are getting bigger and bigger. The humidity stays in these scars and the tons of pestisides and fertilizers they spray seem to be quite corrosive. There is a lot of a dark blue-green kind of jelly falling from these holes. Disgusting and sad... :badday:

post-5641-0-87991800-1345330598_thumb.jp

• Upvote 2

Sebastian, garden on La Palma island, 370 m (1200 feet) above sea level / USDA Zone 11/12 ; Heat zone IV / V

Record High: 42°C (107F) / Record Low: 9°C (48°F). Rain: 600 mm (24 inches) per year with dry/wet seasons. Warm Season: July-November / Cool Season: December-June
Warmest month (August/September) average minimum temperature : 21°C (70°F) / Warmest month (August/September) average maximum temperature : 28°C (82°F)
Coldest month (February/March) average minimum temperature : 14,5°C (58°F) / Coldest month (February/March) average maximum temperature : 21°C (70°F)

Temperature of the sea : minimum of 20°C (68°F) in march, maximum of 25°C (77°F) in September/October.

• 2 years later...

Here is a photo of the tallest one I know on La Palma. It's even bigger than it seems as one can only see 2/3rd of its trunk on this photo.

Its growing inside a banana field. Unfortunately, it is dying as the sprinklers the owners have installed seem to cause very serious roting at the base of the trunk. The base up to a couple of meters high (6 to 7 ft) is completely dark, black or deep green, with large holes, which are getting bigger and bigger. The humidity stays in these scars and the tons of pestisides and fertilizers they spray seem to be quite corrosive. There is a lot of a dark blue-green kind of jelly falling from these holes. Disgusting and sad... :badday:

:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

Stygiana,

That coconut palm may also have lethal yellowing. Notice how the old brown leaves are clinging to the trunk? This is a sign of lethal yellowing, since coconut palms are naturally self shedding. It could also be due to the horrible condition of the lower trunk like you said, causing a symptom similar to a lethal yellowing symptom. It is a shame!

• 2 years later...

Doink!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Palm Lord said:

Why does it say Photobucket? You didn't get photos off of Google did you?

No. This is a 14 year old thread. Back then big pictures couldn’t be directly uploaded and needed a third party host to load them. 

• Like 3

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.