IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Weevil insecticide

steve99

A few of my palms have been attacked by weevils.   Its happened before and the palms have recovered but this time one of my Dypsis dark mealy bugs have suffered more damage than usual - luckily my second dark mealy bugs appears untouched. I want to get on top of those weevils before they cause too much more damage.  So what's the best chemical to control weevils?

Need a systemic. Anything with a neonicotinoid will work great and provide 3,4,6 or even 12 month protection depending on the fungicide. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Steve, are you referring to Sugar Cane Weevil?

If so, the current recommended treatment is Fipronil

You could also try anything that contains chlorpyrifos, but it is nasty stuff and you may not be able to get it anymore (it is effective though)

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

2 hours ago, Daryl said:

Steve, are you referring to Sugar Cane Weevil?

If so, the current recommended treatment is Fipronil

You could also try anything that contains chlorpyrifos, but it is nasty stuff and you may not be able to get it anymore (it is effective though)

Daryl

Traveled with David Tanswell and Phillip Arrowsmith for a few weeks around Colombia in June. I never knew how brutal that cane weevil was until talking to them. They were going over all the pest you guys have over their to contend with. Not easy.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Thanks fellas, I ended up getting a product called CONGUARD which contains a chemical called IMIDACLOPRID.  I'll give it a try and see what happens.

DCKGQzX.jpg

Daryl,

Interesting you mentioned FIPRONIL. I've used it around my house for termites and ants and it's deadly stuff.  I have not seen an ant or termite in the 4 years since I last used it.  Although in saying that, I thought it only worked on social insects (ants, bees and termites etc}   But if it works on weevils that's even better because I have a fresh unopened bottle of TERMIDOR sitting in the garage.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2019 at 3:19 PM, LJG said:

Traveled with David Tanswell and Phillip Arrowsmith for a few weeks around Colombia in June. I never knew how brutal that cane weevil was until talking to them. They were going over all the pest you guys have over their to contend with. Not easy.

I guess every palm area has their own set of pests and problems Len! Cane Weevil is a bitch though...I lost quite a few mature palms at my old place...seems like they especially like Pritchardia!  They are not always a death sentence and some palms recover ok, just with holes through them...I reckon drought kills more palms than insects though!

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

1 hour ago, Daryl said:

I guess every palm area has their own set of pests and problems Len! Cane Weevil is a bitch though...I lost quite a few mature palms at my old place...seems like they especially like Pritchardia!  They are not always a death sentence and some palms recover ok, just with holes through them...I reckon drought kills more palms than insects though!

Yep, no where is easy to grow palms. Different challenges. Well, it’s easy to grow in Hawaii... :)

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

• 4 weeks later...

If you mix a systemic consisting of 20% imidacloprid  with equal amount of tetrahydrofurfuryl alcohol (an alcohol gained from sugar canes) the resulting compound is a systemic that travels super fast inside the palm. Thus one can also apply it through injections in to the root zone. I do not know, whether future versions of imidacloprid have improved properties, but original substance could travel only upwards from the part of the plant on which it has been applied.