IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What was your lowest temperature this winter?

NC_Palms

According to my weather station, the coldest it got was 24.1ºF on the night of this past Thursday. Thanks to my microclimate, we stayed a few degrees warmer than what was reported from downtown and near the airport. 

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

3.2C/37.8F  On Dec 29, 2018

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

40F so far.  I'm not expecting that to hold up through the end of March, but I can dream.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

19 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

40F so far.  I'm not expecting that to hold up through the end of March, but I can dream.

Feels kind of like we are skipping winter this year. :huh:

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Just now, RedRabbit said:

Feels kind of like we are skipping winter this year. :huh:

It's been chilly at times, but we haven't had that all-out arctic blast we usually get this time of year just yet.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

4 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

It's been chilly at times, but we haven't had that all-out arctic blast we usually get this time of year just yet.

Hear, hear!

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

46.8 on two nights. Another cold front on the way but lows predicted for upper 40s right now. Highs to be upper 60s. That's 10 degrees below Jan. normals of about 75/55F but not dangerously low - yet. Another 4 weeks and I'll breathe a lot easier. My uber tropicals such as coconuts can handle lows to the low 40s for a short time with minor cosmetic cold damage as long as the sun shines and temps rebound fast. They grow out of that quickly once very warm temps return. That is the key for growing coconuts in winter: brief minor chill followed by long hours of blazing sun to warm them up.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Local weather underground said 19F for less than 30 minutes, but my house has yet to drop bellow 21F. This cold streak we are currently having has upgraded to a low of 24F. Next sunday monday the forcast for the local station says 15 to 16F for a low but I am hoping my place catches a break.

Edited by mdsonofthesouth
  • Like 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Lowest winter temp. so far has been 33F one night in December. A low of 30F predicted for next Sunday night.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

My low so far... December 24F clear, January so far 33F with fog. No snow as of yet and don't expect any. 

I'm curious, does anything interesting grow on the Kitsap Peninsula? I understand some of that area is 9a.

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

We had 3 nights at or below freezing with the ultimate low of around 29F/30F.  I would expect that to be the coldest for the season as there is no frost in the forecast and we usually don't dip below freezing in February.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Estlander said:

Lowest winter temp. so far has been 33F one night in December. A low of 30F predicted for next Sunday night.

Looks like we've got a 37F night coming in the forecast, subject to change with/without notice.  I knew I should have kept my fingers off the keyboard. ;)

Lakeland, FL

2 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

I'm curious, does anything interesting grow on the Kitsap Peninsula? I understand some of that area is 9a.

Yes, there is some nice microclimate in those areas. Mostly 8b/9a and few 9a buy the water. They tend to have warmer mild winter and cooler summer and much less rain so a lot of gardens are the Mediterranean types. The solid 9a are mostly along the coast like Aberdeen,  rest are on the coast with cooler summer. On the coastal area, you see large phormium and cordylines but not many if any palms trees that I am aware of. The number one palm planted here in trachycarpus fortuni, jubaea, butia. A few odds and ends in Seattle area. 

To see a nice tropical palm garden I took pics of last summer look up ... excellent palm garden in pnw. And look up. pnw exotic garden 8b. That will give you an idea of some of the more mild places in WA with exotic plants. 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Looks like we've got a 37F night coming in the forecast, subject to change with/without notice.  I knew I should have kept my fingers off the keyboard. ;)

GFS just ran a couple hours ago and looks pretty bad. Maybe closer to 35? A lot can change in the coming days

Edited by enigma99

5 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

My low so far... December 24F clear, January so far 33F with fog. No snow as of yet and don't expect any. 

This. 

My low was 23F in December, and likewise 33F is my low so far in 2019. No snow so far and I doubt we'll actually get any. Fingers crossed. 

• Upvote 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

On 1/14/2019 at 1:59 AM, enigma99 said:

GFS just ran a couple hours ago and looks pretty bad. Maybe closer to 35? A lot can change in the coming days

It has been bouncing up and down.  The lowest the forecast has called for so far was 33F and the highest has been 39F.  Looks like there is still a lot of uncertainty.  Currently, they are calling for a low of 38F on Sunday.

It's pretty odd for temperatures in the 30s to make news, but I think it just gave them an excuse to bring up the snowfall in 1977: https://www.theledger.com/news/20190115/update-its-going-to-get-cold-but-nothing-like-1977

201901161530_Weather.png

Lakeland, FL

The outlook is looking at putting us at a solid 7B winter for Sunday night and monday. Hopefully my house stays 8a but I dojbt it with this event. Forecast gets worse by the day.

• Like 1

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

14 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

The outlook is looking at putting us at a solid 7B winter for Sunday night and monday. Hopefully my house stays 8a but I dojbt it with this event. Forecast gets worse by the day.

Same here, every weather outlet is forecasting 7b temperatures except the National Weather Service, they’re saying 14°F for Sunday night and Monday night. It all depends on whether it snows here this weekend or not, the National Weather Service is saying all rain, which explains their “milder” forecast. I’ve never seen zone 7 temperatures with bare ground, we need snow cover.

My lowest temperature so far this meteorological winter is 18°F, and no snow aside from flurries.

The forecast is showing a low of 19ºF on Sunday night and a high of only 34ºF with a low of 23ºF on Monday. 

So far, we've had a 9a winter. Hopefully my microclimate can keep that streak alive. 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

2 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

It has been bouncing up and down.  The lowest the forecast has called for so far was 33F and the highest has been 39F.  Looks like there is still a lot of uncertainty.  Currently, they are calling for a low of 38F on Sunday.

Yes,  same here. Sunday night low of 30F has now been bumped up to 34F. We've been having a zone 10A winter so far and looks like it's gonna continue... :D :shaka-2:

Edited by Estlander

2 hours ago, cm05 said:

Same here, every weather outlet is forecasting 7b temperatures except the National Weather Service, they’re saying 14°F for Sunday night and Monday night. It all depends on whether it snows here this weekend or not, the National Weather Service is saying all rain, which explains their “milder” forecast. I’ve never seen zone 7 temperatures with bare ground, we need snow cover.

My lowest temperature so far this meteorological winter is 18°F, and no snow aside from flurries.

Yeah zone 7 temps are too cold for snow. The reason we didn't drop bellow 26F (station) 31F (my house) last cold streak was because of the snow. Before snow we were supposed to dip to 16 to 18F. Our lowest temp so far was 19F (station) and 21F (house) on thanksgiving night for less than 30 minutes. So far its been a cold 9a winter, but we started January temperatures in November which is about 20F bellow average. I sure hope the snow warms the lows as monday is looking really cold. Sunday will see a 35 degree swing with teens as the high for monday... 

NWS has lows 50% to 100% higher keeping us in the zone 8 range.

4 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

It's pretty odd for temperatures in the 30s to make news, but I think it just gave them an excuse to bring up the snowfall in 1977: https://www.theledger.com/news/20190115/update-its-going-to-get-cold-but-nothing-like-1977

Yes, for a few days there it looked like FL was going to have some serious cold to contend with, but  in the last day, it switched to a warmer solution. Although it now looks like there will be a second cold wave later in January, so we are by no means out of the firing zone.

@Estlander It sure has been mild there, the lowest my parent's house has gotten so far is 28 (back in December) there on the mainland away from the coast (for comparison, the mildest winter I ever experienced there in 17 years was a low of 25). Although still- that area has gotten a good amount of chilly nights and not exactly t-shirt weather, especially in the last few days.

Still time for things to change before the 21st (which by the way is the anniversary of the infamous Jan. 1985 cold wave). Will be very interesting to see what happens.

Aw man, 16 degrees F is forecasted for Sunday night here. So far we have had a low 9a (low wise) Winter, might be turned to a low 8b here soon. 

PalmTreeDude

We are halfway through January and most of us are having above average to average temperatures. In my opinion, if we don't see a cold spell that puts us in a reality check over what zone we live in then I doubt the chances for a cold spell will be high once February arrives. In Eastern North Carolina we rarely ever see brutal Arctic blast after Valentine's Day, but yet again anything is possible. 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

15 hours ago, NC_Palms said:

We are halfway through January and most of us are having above average to average temperatures. In my opinion, if we don't see a cold spell that puts us in a reality check over what zone we live in then I doubt the chances for a cold spell will be high once February arrives. In Eastern North Carolina we rarely ever see brutal Arctic blast after Valentine's Day, but yet again anything is possible. 

I have had average January temps since mid to late November lol. So technically a lower than average winter, but still a zone 9a winter so far...but not for long... Wish I could say I was out of the woods that early, but for us the cold typically ends in early march, but we can still get cold spells and bellow average swings for a while. 

30F on the 15th of November (lol)...no freezing temperatures since then 

For comparison:
Conroe (far north): 27F
Houston IAH (north): 30F
Houston Dunn Helistop (central): 32F

Houston Hobby (south): 32F

Seabrook (bayfront): 35F
Galveston (coast): 37F

4-5 weeks to go...

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

28F around here back in December - no freezing temps yet in 2019.

New Orleans has yet to hit 35 yet this winter - that's their forecast low for MLK Day.

BUT! check out recent runs of GFS and Euro Model for late January - both predicting SCARY scenarios for the eastern US with major arctic outbreaks pending. Ugh.

I live North of Chicago and so for the lowest we've had is about 15F!! (pretty good) Unfortunately there's a low of 1F for next Friday :mellow:

Low is hovering between 8 and 10 for tomorrows event, so if that keeps my house should remain zone 8! Still sad we are losing a zone 9a winter :(

Here it comes... High of 28! All of my palms should be good though. I am more worried about my Spanish Moss and stuff like that, although it survived last Winter, which was a bad one. 

SmartSelect_20190119-232037_Weather.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

1 minute ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Here it comes... High of 28! All of my palms should be good though. I am more worried about my Spanish Moss and stuff like that, although it survived last Winter, which was a bad one.

That high of 28F is going to be rough one.  Where I grew up, the high might end up below 0F with 20+MPH winds.  Man am I glad I moved!

Lakeland, FL

Update: 

Low of 32.5F this morning. No freeze for most of Houston, lows 32-34F. 36F at the coast. 

Further south in the RGV, mostly low to mid 40s. 45F at Brownsville and 49.5F at South Padre Island. Texas coconuts still safe. 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Not sure but probably got down to the mid 40’s. Waiting for the inevitable cold tonight to low 40’s. 

On 1/19/2019 at 11:25 PM, kinzyjr said:

That high of 28F is going to be rough one.  Where I grew up, the high might end up below 0F with 20+MPH winds.  Man am I glad I moved!

At my old house up north this morning it was -10F with a -30F windchill on top of 20" of new snow! I'm with you, glad I moved!!! Oddly enough they got that snow at -5F which is VERY unusual. Bottomed out at 27F here this morning. 

• Like 1

Closest weather station had 39F, second closest had 36F.  I didn't get to monitor my own this morning and haven't reset the low temperature... DOH!

Lakeland, FL