IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rhapis root prune?

cm05

I have a Rhapis excelsa with a root stem (or whatever it’s called) that’s roughly a foot long and growing sideways. Can I cut a few inches off of this offshoot stem? I know palms are generally root sensitive, but Rhapis is supposedly tolerant of being divided. This thing won’t fit in any of the empty pots I have, and an oversized pot for such a small palm would just encourage root rot (and look ridiculous).

1E580163-BD9E-4987-9D91-39014C2B1D6B.jpe

This root is nearly the same size as the palm.

I cut this runner a few weeks ago and it seems to be ok. 

cutting.jpg

• Upvote 1

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

These palms are almost impossible to kill, even when you make a concerted effort. Just leave a few secondary roots off the main runner and it should be fine. 

Tim

• Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

5 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Yes, you can cut most of the underground stem :greenthumb:; and later you can cut even much more: :evil:

5c3ba32b4d02e_Rhapisairlayering.thumb.jp

Looking at this diagram I feel like I should’ve gotten more aggressive, I only cut off 1/3rd of the stem, I should’ve chopped off 2/3rds and the palm would’ve been centered perfectly in the pot I selected. I’d really like to fix it, but I’ll probably wait until the weather gets warm.

Also, I planted the chopped stem just in case it wants to put out any offshoots, it looked like one may have been forming, I don’t know if it will but it can’t hurt to try.

3 hours ago, The Germinator said:

I cut this runner a few weeks ago and it seems to be ok. 

cutting.jpg

Wow, mine looks almost exactly like yours with its first palmate frond opening up.

3 hours ago, realarch said:

These palms are almost impossible to kill, even when you make a concerted effort. Just leave a few secondary roots off the main runner and it should be fine. 

Tim

Thanks for the advice. It has quite a bit of secondary roots remaining and I applied some root hormone on the open wound so I’m hoping it’ll be fine.

• 3 years later...

Hey all. I am trying to grow a little offshoot that I cut off this clump. Did I get enough of the root system for it to live?

9792B71C-CE98-4606-A2C6-6FC0F2396A92.jpeg

4FEA6C7F-B63B-4BE1-82F6-919B8C48E80A.jpeg

B186A671-3F46-4473-AAF4-D0DF851CAE7A.jpeg

• Like 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

30 minutes ago, ruskinPalms said:

Hey all. I am trying to grow a little offshoot that I cut off this clump. Did I get enough of the root system for it to live?

Most likely.  I had one come back up from nothing but a little white nub at the bottom.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Thanks for the reply. I actually like these even though I’ve heard a lot of people complain about them for spreading too much and not doing well in the sun. The one I have seems to not mind the sun too much and it really isn’t that fast compared to a lot of the palms I have so it is pretty easy to cut down offshoots that spread to unwanted places. Also, no thorns and the old dead fronds self clean pretty good. I would like to get this one established in the pot for awhile then plant in an area of my yard in need of some fan palms. I’ve probably planted too many pinnate palms in my yard…

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B