Sign in to follow this  
redbeard917

What's wrong with my Sabal etonia?

redbeard917

This Sabal etonia has grown here slowly but steadily for years. It's always been completely green. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever watered or fertilized it. I'm not far from the native range and have placed it in a location with sandy soil and a good bit of sunlight.

Very recently, perhaps a month or so ago, I noticed it starting to decline. The newest leaf looks green, but the most recent look mottled and the oldest have gone completely brown. All the leaves you see on it were green previously. It almost looks like cold damage, but it hasn't been very cold here. I have other tender palms that get damaged every year and all are still untouched.

Thanks

redbeard917

IMG_20190111_123909.jpg

redbeard917

IMG_20190111_131923.jpg

Josue Diaz

Ouch, whatever it is, it looks like it may be dead already. 

• Upvote 1

Reeverse

Ouch. Looks dead. Herbicide or cold?

Josue Diaz

I had a sabal maritiformis die when I repotted it (the spear pulled), but the existing fronds remained green and it looked alive for just over a year. I held on to it hoping it would pull through. There wasn't ever any new growth from the center though, and eventually the leaves all collapsed and I knew then it was gone. Maybe yours has been dead for a long time and just now ran out of energy to keep the leaves green? 

NC_Palms

How cold has it got in Woodville? Isn't that near Tallahassee? I doubt it got anywhere cold enough to damage a Sabal etonia.

Phoenikakias
On 11/1/2019, 7:40:02, redbeard917 said:

This Sabal etonia has grown here slowly but steadily for years. It's always been completely green. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever watered or fertilized it. I'm not far from the native range and have placed it in a location with sandy soil and a good bit of sunlight.

Very recently, perhaps a month or so ago, I noticed it starting to decline. The newest leaf looks green, but the most recent look mottled and the oldest have gone completely brown. All the leaves you see on it were green previously. It almost looks like cold damage, but it hasn't been very cold here. I have other tender palms that get damaged every year and all are still untouched.

Thanks

It is SSD, welcome to the club, I have lost during recent years quite  few Sabal palms this way. I am sure that if you give central part a persistent tag, it will pull.

PalmTreeDude

Sorry to see this happen to your etonia. :crying:

redbeard917

Yes, I'm near Tallahassee. It's been very warm this winter. I'm not sure it will ever get cold enough to damage a Sabal etonia here, but this year, even my most tender palms are untouched.

What is SSD?

cm05

I wouldn’t rule out some sort of root issue, especially since it appears to have declined out of nowhere. Has it been very wet there?

redbeard917

Yes, it's been the rainiest December in recorded history.