IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Silica Sand in potting mix

Hferrell87

Hello all,

I have been using promix hp and adding more perlite as my main potting mix. A couple problems I am running into are that when dry, its so light weight that a small gust of wind knocks them over and if not watered enough, the soil locks up and doesn't allow good water saturation throughout all the roots.

I've heard that adding silica sand into the mix can help with both problems I am dealing with...

Does anyone use silica sand in their mix? If so, any suggestions on where to bulk purchase?

Any other ideas?

Thanks so much!!

Edited by Hferrell87

I use mason sand also called general purpose sand.  You can buy from building supply vendors.

• Upvote 1

If I have issues with pots tipping over with my favorite mix because it becomes too light, one fix I've been known to use is to mix some river rocks in at the bottom of the soil.  This works especially well for desert species that like fast draining soil.  It won't do a lot for soil that doesn't store water when dry, but I haven't had that issue using garden soil lightened with 25%-50% perlite.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I've been using the Sakrete brand coarse sand from Home Depot, this stuff:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SAKRETE-60-lb-Multi-Purpose-Sand-40100307/100350266

I'm not sure of any advantages or disadvantages of silica sand.  If you want to add some weight to the bottom of pots, the "pea gravel" mix works pretty well.

• Upvote 1

I used to use washed plaster sand, but no more. It makes my potting mix too dense and affects drainage for smaller plants.