SilverDragon

Indoor Palm ID

SilverDragon

I have passed by a pair of potted palms many times on my campus at Cleveland State University, and I've always wondered what they are. My guess is Adonidia merrillii, but I'm not 100% sure.Any guesses?

IMG_20190110_123549 (1).jpg

AZPalms

Looks like a ptychosperma to me. Elagans? 

• Upvote 1

quaman58

These are confusing a bit when young. Based on how skinny they are, my guess is Ptychosperma as well. One way that helps me is to look at the crownshaft/ petioles. The Ptychos generally have a dusting of dark or silvery color there, while the Adonidias are cleaner looking and are yellowish green in color. Sorry, that sounds terribly un-scientific, but I can't think of how else to say it.

• Upvote 1

SilverDragon
14 hours ago, quaman58 said:

These are confusing a bit when young. Based on how skinny they are, my guess is Ptychosperma as well. One way that helps me is to look at the crownshaft/ petioles. The Ptychos generally have a dusting of dark or silvery color there, while the Adonidias are cleaner looking and are yellowish green in color. Sorry, that sounds terribly un-scientific, but I can't think of how else to say it.

Makes perfect sense to me. Crownshaft does seem different than Adonidia.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Eric Thompson
      By Eric Thompson
      Just recently split up 3 majesty’s from same pot into their own pots. I was as easy as I could be on the roots..
       all new soil and parked in front of a large window. 3 days later and they are looking a darker green, the fronds are droopy and all seem to be twisting. Is this just classic shock or did i kill these things? 

• Josh76
      By Josh76
      Hi all,
      Hello from London. I had a good clearout of my greenhouse this week and have some plants which I don't have ID's for. Hope some of you can help.
      This one has a label in it saying 'Sabal texana' which I'm not sure is even a recognised species. I've had a look and S. texensis is described as having green leaves but this has very grey/glaucous leaves even at a young age. It could be plain old Sabal minor I guess but perhaps it could be a S. brazoria? Probably too early to tell as I know with Sabals it's the flowers that really help with identification. I think that's a long way off though!!

• mikesim
      By mikesim
      Hi Everyone,

Recent lurker, first-time poster.

What is this palm I picked up today?

It was poorly taken care of and in the corner, with mealybug - so currently quarantined and being treated - but the nursery couldn't identify it and neither can I.

The fronds are massive, with very little 'frond stem' (if that makes sense) and the leaves are very thin and long.

Thank you in advance!

Mike

• politoCABJ
      By politoCABJ
      Hello everyone!
      I'm a newbie in IPS and the palm world and I still have a lot of trouble distinguishing them. I'd appreciate if anyone can help me pinpoint this palm.
      The fronds are massive, at least 5 feet across. They are definitely much larger than other fan palms in this area like Washingtonia robusta. I think it may be some kind of Pritchardia like beccariana/Loulou fan /Fiji fan ? Please let me know if I can add any more specific photos or details.
      I am close to Miami, so this is Zone 10b. Thank you!
      Once I ID this palm I will post it onto my instagram: @palms_n_critters. Follow me if you love palms and nature!

• nexxogen
      By nexxogen
      Hello.
      I've recently ordered Butia Capitata (Pindo Palm) seeds online, and what I received clearly weren't Butia Capitata seeds. I already got a refund from the seller, but now I'm wondering what palm are these from. If someone could help me identify it, maybe I could find a use for it.