IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PalmTreeDude

Hello, so I have some potted Sabal minors indoors that are doing well for the most part, but some seem to be "stuck" and just wont grow much. I am wanting to provide them with heat but they are in a small space. Does anyone know of anything that can safely provide a small area with heat for growing plants indoors? I could really use something like this, please tell me if you know about anything that might work! 

PalmTreeDude

I don’t know how small of an area you are talking about, but I use heat lamps to keep my temperatures warm. Maybe keeping them under a heat lamp would work. 

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

The LED grow light that I use for my seedlings keeps the small closet in the high 80's while running. I have it on a timer that runs about 12h/ day. I have some sabals that are pushing new growth out. 

My shop has it's own hvac and a fan blowing over a plug in oil radiator and stays at 67 to 70F right next to my garage door. Humidity stays in the 4X% range. 

My palmettos just started growing again after 2 weeks inside about 2 weeks ago. But they are slow going and I think it's a combination of lack of humidity and heat. Chamaerodea have been slow going the entire time. Chamaerops humilis var cerifera as slow as it's ever been. Loquat are still going as well. Chamaerops humilis, trachycarpus and butia capitata all have done little to no growing but all still look great!

I cannot wait to plant these and clear out the shop as I'd love to have room again. Seems alot of these species seem lament in pots or at the least slow growth to a snails pace. But then again I'm not very good with potted plants...

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Indoors if you had adequate space you could use a space heater or radiant heater.  These heater are thermostatically controlled and most if not all have tip over shut off safety.  Usually they have 2 settings 1300 and 1500 watts.  Just don't put them up next to the palms or directly in short range of possible flammable materials.  The type that are fan-forced seem to work better for me to circulate the air.  Look at your space to heat then look into heater options.  If your space is tiny then heat lamps will do but without a thermostat they need to be switch on and off.  More importantly will be adequate light source for the growth needs.  I find that my palms in the greenhouse grow much slower due to the cooler temps due to winter (40's low inside), and less summer sunshine. If it is safe for humans and pets then you could use it for palms as long as your are careful with how you use it. Calculate the BTU's you need to heat the area first..

• Upvote 1

I myself have a palm room in my basement t southwest facing. I have an oil radiator with thermostat set mid wattage. Lately I’ve kept the room at 80f. The led grow lights in the room help maintain during the day. Now at this temp the humidity is 36 percent. But the plants don’t seem to mind. My 5 gallon sabal palmetto has been growing well along with Serenoa repens Phoenix roebellini and many others. I do put a fan on timer 1 hour circulate daily as well to help the cause