Sign in to follow this  
frienduvafrond

Sabal minors

frienduvafrond

I like these smaller minors, that grow more inland. 

20181015_153403-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

PalmatierMeg
3 hours ago, frienduvafrond said:

I like these smaller minors, that grow more inland. 

20181015_153403-1.jpg

Interesting. How large do they ultimately get compared to standard minors? In NFL and along the Gulf Coast there are a number of what I call "uber dwarf" Sabal minors, some of them quite tiny. Most are named for the nearest town or settlement to the newly discovered population, i.e. Blountstown Dwarf and Wakulla Dwarf (each 12-18" tall and 30" wide), Chipola Dwarf (2' tall x 4' wide), High Spring Dwarf, Castor Dwarf. To my knowledge most of these variations grow true from seeds

My point is maybe you've discovered an uber dwarf form of S. minor in NC. You will have to check out and document the population perhaps collect and germinate seeds. Sabal minor is unique among Sabals in its diversity of geographical variations. How exciting if you've come across an undocumented variation.

• Upvote 1

NC_Palms

PalmatierMeg hit the nail on the head! Sabal minors are extremely diverse. Bailey once said that you would think you are seeing multiple palm species in the South, yet they are all Sabal minors. I have no doubt in my mind that those smaller Sabal minors could be a different variety.

I was actually talking to Gary a few days ago about Sabal minor diversity. We were talking about the possibility that Sabal minor diversity might have been caused by hybridization with an extinct palm species. 

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

Do you know if these Sabal minor are from a North Carolina population? When I see Sabal minor in North Carolina I am used to seeing big fronds with a blue tinge and an occasional trunking one. If these are from an N.C. population, I would definitely try to find it in habitat if you can! I know Sabal minor can grow smaller in full sun (assuming these are in full sun), but even the fronds on these look different. It's like they open at that angle that known dwarf varieties open at. I remember PalmatierMeg talked about this on an older thread. 

NC_Palms
7 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Do you know if these Sabal minor are from a North Carolina population? When I see Sabal minor in North Carolina I am used to seeing big fronds with a blue tinge and an occasional trunking one. If these are from an N.C. population, I would definitely try to find it in habitat if you can! I know Sabal minor can grow smaller in full sun (assuming these are in full sun), but even the fronds on these look different. It's like they open at that angle that known dwarf varieties open at. I remember PalmatierMeg talked about this on an older thread. 

The farther east you travel in North Carolina, the larger the Sabal minors get. In my county they stay pretty small but just 20 minutes east and you’ll see them start to develop mini trunks. I have no idea why this is, but my guess is because of soil composition. 

PalmTreeDude
1 minute ago, NC_Palms said:

The farther east you travel in North Carolina, the larger the Sabal minors get. In my county they stay pretty small but just 20 minutes east and you’ll see them start to develop mini trunks. I have no idea why this is, but my guess is because of soil composition. 

I saw some crazy beefy ones around Jacksonville,  N.C.

NC_Palms
Just now, PalmTreeDude said:

I saw some crazy beefy ones around Jacksonville,  N.C.

The biggest ones i’ve ever seen were in Pamlico and Beaufort Counties. They looked almost like Birminghams

PalmTreeDude
2 minutes ago, NC_Palms said:

The biggest ones i’ve ever seen were in Pamlico and Beaufort Counties. They looked almost like Birminghams

I saw pictures of some of those on Harys Nursery's website. They look almost like a whole different species. I want to go see them some day in person. 

NC_Palms
5 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

I saw pictures of some of those on Harys Nursery's website. They look almost like a whole different species. I want to go see them some day in person. 

You should plan to come down to NC and visit Gary. I visit him every few weeks to pick up palms. 

If you ever come down, I can give you the locations to where you can find these giant Sabal minors.