IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis scottiana leaf damage from cold

Tracy

We have had some cold nights recently.  Last night was the coldest, getting down to 37.5 early this morning under a clear sky with a cold Santa Ana blowing.  It seemed that a bit before dawn when it was the coldest, the wind stopped before kicking back up again right at dawn.  I couldn't help noticing some damage to my Dypsis scottiana which was planted in 2018.  It is in a slightly protected area, between my detached garage and a patio cover with the Dypsis pembana (trunks behind it) providing some overhead protection in the area open to the sky.  It was extremely dry last night as well, so no frost forming.

20190102-104A2125.jpg

20190102-104A2126.jpg

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I think it will make it! I lost a 5 year old Dypsis Hiarakae. Last night was the final nail  (16 inches tall, staring to sucker, always on the border but looking good, 34F last night, no frost, apparently did it in) even though I had ample overhead canopy:(

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

That's a bummer!  I try to keep my cold sensitive palms on the south facing side of my yard where they can get the morning sun to compensate for the coldest time of the morning.  

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24