Sign in to follow this  
Nj Palms

Needle Palm in Cape May Nj

Nj Palms

Today I went down to Cape May Nj. If you did not know it is the southernmost point in Nj. It is at the very tip of the Cape Peninsula. It is technically an island since it is separated from the rest of Nj by an artificial canal. Now on to the palm! This needle palm had have to have been here a very long time. It is exposed to cold NE winds as you can see in this pic. I am impressed of how this palm comes out unscathed every winter. This area has to be a really good microclimate as it is near the coast and nestled against the stone wall of the church. I will post updates of this palm time to time throughout the years. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!:greenthumb: Sorry I couldn’t get better pics it was dark and my phone flash is not very bright.

32CC4EB9-5733-4C37-8EE7-5337301C526B.thuC9877F63-9D12-42F6-B398-FC0362455380.thu

• Upvote 3

Nj Palms

https://goo.gl/maps/3QJWrhGjruF2

This is what looks to be a Sabal Minor. It looks damaged and has gone through a full summer. This street view was in August 2018. Sorry I couldn't post the pics, they were more than 8mbs.

ActualTrachycarpus

I heard there used to be a lot of windmills up in Cape May, but I heard a lot of them died during the '14-15 winter. Anyways awesome palm.

Nj Palms
9 hours ago, ActualTrachycarpus said:

I heard there used to be a lot of windmills up in Cape May, but I heard a lot of them died during the '14-15 winter. Anyways awesome palm.

Yes that is true, there is a restaraunt called Harpoon Henry's on the Delaware Bay side that put out many palms each summer but the windmills died in the polar vortex. I haven't seen any else in the area.

PalmTreeDude

Nice palm, I would not be surprised if well established Sabal minor do well up there as well. Every time I look at Cape May on a tempature map it seems to always be a few degrees warmer than the rest of NJ. 

Nj Palms

I have also seen a windmill palm in manasquan Nj I can't find the street view of it though.

cm05

Nice find, I haven’t been there (and Wildwood) in so long. It’s a shame that the Trachys perished. I wish Needles and Sabal minor were used more in coastal zone 7 areas. 

Edited by cm05
  • Upvote 1