IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Needle Palm in Cape May Nj

Nj Palms

Today I went down to Cape May Nj. If you did not know it is the southernmost point in Nj. It is at the very tip of the Cape Peninsula. It is technically an island since it is separated from the rest of Nj by an artificial canal. Now on to the palm! This needle palm had have to have been here a very long time. It is exposed to cold NE winds as you can see in this pic. I am impressed of how this palm comes out unscathed every winter. This area has to be a really good microclimate as it is near the coast and nestled against the stone wall of the church. I will post updates of this palm time to time throughout the years. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!:greenthumb: Sorry I couldn’t get better pics it was dark and my phone flash is not very bright.

32CC4EB9-5733-4C37-8EE7-5337301C526B.thuC9877F63-9D12-42F6-B398-FC0362455380.thu

• Upvote 3

I heard there used to be a lot of windmills up in Cape May, but I heard a lot of them died during the '14-15 winter. Anyways awesome palm.

9 hours ago, ActualTrachycarpus said:

I heard there used to be a lot of windmills up in Cape May, but I heard a lot of them died during the '14-15 winter. Anyways awesome palm.

Yes that is true, there is a restaraunt called Harpoon Henry's on the Delaware Bay side that put out many palms each summer but the windmills died in the polar vortex. I haven't seen any else in the area.

Nice palm, I would not be surprised if well established Sabal minor do well up there as well. Every time I look at Cape May on a tempature map it seems to always be a few degrees warmer than the rest of NJ. 

PalmTreeDude

Nice find, I haven’t been there (and Wildwood) in so long. It’s a shame that the Trachys perished. I wish Needles and Sabal minor were used more in coastal zone 7 areas. 

Edited by cm05
  • Upvote 1