IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brrrrrrr....

Gonzer

@Gonzer 35 is cold for SD, but 35 for me is welcome after two nights at 31 and 33. 

overall, things seem to be ok. Wodyetia is going through its 3rd winter in the ground and appears to be ok. 

20190103_125529.jpg

Plumeria next to it have a bit of burn. Dypsis prestononiana has been here for two winters. It came from Floribunda in a 4 inch pot and went straight into the ground. 

20190103_125733.thumb.jpg.72422f9b8064ec

Copernicia baileyana spotted but looks good otherwise. 

20190103_115413.thumb.jpg.4c92b9be8ddab6

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Upvote 3

Last night was interesting. The temp dropped to the high 30s then the breeze picked up. At 6 am this morning it was 47 at my place. Goes to show how much a difference moving air makes. From the other night my foxtail is fried so I think that is gone soon. Definitely not I winner for me. Besides that not too much damage to palms just bananas mainly.

After one last cold morning, ( reached 29F again, instead of the 32F  forecast by pretty much ..everyone... Light frost here and there in the yard / on neighborhood rooftops)  Nearby neighborhood Wx stations currently running 63- 66F, and still climbing at 1 pm.

Put a majority of the special specimen plants / small seedlings back outside and gave 'em a drink.  I'm sure they're appreciating some warm sunshine as much as i am..

On 1/3/2019, 4:00:30, Josue Diaz said:

@Gonzer 35 is cold for SD, but 35 for me is welcome after two nights at 31 and 33. 

overall, things seem to be ok. Wodyetia is going through its 3rd winter in the ground and appears to be ok. 

20190103_125529.jpg

Plumeria next to it have a bit of burn. Dypsis prestononiana has been here for two winters. It came from Floribunda in a 4 inch pot and went straight into the ground. 

20190103_125733.thumb.jpg.72422f9b8064ec

Copernicia baileyana spotted but looks good otherwise. 

20190103_115413.thumb.jpg.4c92b9be8ddab6

I will be curious if that Copernicia turns crispy. That splotchiness never turns out too good for me. 

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Below freezing for about a week. All protected. Lowest recorded 26f for a few hours. Longest duration was 30f for about 8. No frost.....onto the damage. 

P. Elagans 50% damaged

small royal, 20% damage to tips of fronds 

large royal about 50% right now

king palm, about 20% damaged

dypsis decaryi zero to both

sabals zero 

C. Plumosa zero damage 

things could get get worse in the coming days 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, ruskinPalms said:

I will be curious if that Copernicia turns crispy. That splotchiness never turns out too good for me. 

I may be wrong, but there is a type of spotting that occurs when moisture is expelled from the permeable cell walls to keep the cell walls from bursting - causing cell death and consequently, necrosis. This water then fills the space between cells to be reabsorbed into the cells when temperatures warm back up. Even Syagrus romanzoffiana and Brahea super silver are showing those spots for me at the moment. Bismarkia as well. So the spotting on copernicia and these others already looks very than the necrosis that is beginning to show up on Wallichia disticha and Wodyetia. 

• Upvote 1

Some of my mule palms and dypsis decipiens show the same spotting every winter but they bounce back to normal when temperature rises back up. My copernicia does show spotting as well. 

Edited by xvang01
  • Upvote 2

Following temps in the low-30s F this past week, my Beccariophoenix alfredii (3-gal pot) is showing a lot of leaf damage (i.e., spotting), same with my Ptychosperma elegans. My Kentiopsis, Bismarckia, Jubaeopsis, Roystonea, Chambeyronia, Caryota and others (like my T. princeps below) seem to be doing fine so far this winter. This is Day 2 of stormy weather and I've given up and not turned upright all the pots the strong winds have knocked over. At least the temps overnight are back up to the mid-40s F. Hope they stay there for the rest of this month. :bummed:

BTW, of the several Tabebuia (Handroanthus) species I have, only the leaves on the H. umbellata haven't turned color or dropped, verifying how cold-hardy it is. ;)

Princeps.png

• Upvote 1

Did a quick, post-event glance over of various stuff in the neighborhood while running errands yesterday.. Aside from the obvious torching of Bougainvillea planted along the 202 ( passes east / west a few blocks south of the house ) and defoliation of some big Moringa in a yard around the corner, ( another neighbor, same person w / the 3 Cassia fistula in their yard ) Nothing obvious damage-wise.. Young Royal Poinciana in one yard defoliated.. typical this time of year, my seedlings dropped everything back in November too.

Cassia Fistula i just mentioned are fine, fully leaved.. Couldn't see any post frost burn / bronze -'ing on the foliage. They actually filled out quite a bit this year, thanks in part to the good rains back in the summer / early fall. Were still a few flowers on them back in October. Apparently, they were started from seed that came from Thailand, according to the owner.  Her large Tamarind is also fine.. though at 15 yrs old,  she told me it hasn't flowered yet.. Kind of perplexed on that.  Ficus benjamina in her yard and  some others another block over are fine. 

Fruit trees in our corner neighbors' yard look fine, some burn on a couple Guavas with more overhead exposure. Mangoes, Longan / Litchi look good..  Lantana in the front got burned.. Will have to look over their Plumeria there again..  Fully exposed, weren't covered / wrapped through the cold. 

Somehow reached 76F Friday afternoon and tip burn on the Torch Glows out front and across the street became more obvious. Will be fine. Some bronze on the Guaiacum coulteri i'd planted out there but fine otherwise.. though odd since my largest 2 i have out back, in pots, in less sun / no overhead cover right now have no post -cold color on the foliage.  Everything else kept out through this event is fine. 

@Josue Diaz In anticipation of forecast upper 60s- low (..maybe mid, seem to get warmer than surrounding areas of Chandler) 70s by Tuesday on forward, bumped my Kopsia arborea into bigger pots.

While cleaning up in the shade house, and around the yard, noticed buds starting to appear on Mammillaria senilis, and Aloe longistyla.. and the wildflowers i tossed around out front in October, sure signs spring, at least here, isn't far off.. Both the Aloe and Mammillaria sp are supposedly hard to grow here but i've had no issues w/ either.. Will be separating many offsets off the Mammillaria actually, for a *slow* grower, it's filled it's pot a lot faster than i'd expected.. I don't do anything special to it, ..almost completely ignore the Aloe. 

Hopefully that's it for any more extended cold, have a plant delivery for a job coming tomorrow.. Rain is welcome however.

• Upvote 2

couple if shots from the yard. Banana toast, Royal has damage on about 50%

9B1E8B37-4F76-4BAF-A114-A1548FC5D42D.jpeg

09E8FEEA-E1F4-4E99-AEA5-585C69AF95BB.jpeg

0159EF4D-ACD3-4717-BA06-5792E2CC1750.jpeg

22F3D7FA-5789-4074-BAA8-3A263D0E4D7E.jpeg

58D203C9-25AF-41CF-9D6E-F5B7449AFA37.jpeg

Edited by AZPalms
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Hillizard said:

Following temps in the low-30s F this past week, my Beccariophoenix alfredii (3-gal pot) is showing a lot of leaf damage (i.e., spotting), same with my Ptychosperma elegans. My Kentiopsis, Bismarckia, Jubaeopsis, Roystonea, Chambeyronia, Caryota and others (like my T. princeps below) seem to be doing fine so far this winter. This is Day 2 of stormy weather and I've given up and not turned upright all the pots the strong winds have knocked over. At least the temps overnight are back up to the mid-40s F. Hope they stay there for the rest of this month. :bummed:

BTW, of the several Tabebuia (Handroanthus) species I have, only the leaves on the H. umbellata haven't turned color or dropped, verifying how cold-hardy it is. ;)

Princeps.png

I bought a H. umbellata after you recommended it. Mine also hasn't dropped any of its leaves. 

2 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Did a quick, post-event glance over of various stuff in the neighborhood while running errands yesterday.. Aside from the obvious torching of Bougainvillea planted along the 202 ( passes east / west a few blocks south of the house ) and defoliation of some big Moringa in a yard around the corner, ( another neighbor, same person w / the 3 Cassia fistula in their yard ) Nothing obvious damage-wise.. Young Royal Poinciana in one yard defoliated.. typical this time of year, my seedlings dropped everything back in November too.

Cassia Fistula i just mentioned are fine, fully leaved.. Couldn't see any post frost burn / bronze -'ing on the foliage. They actually filled out quite a bit this year, thanks in part to the good rains back in the summer / early fall. Were still a few flowers on them back in October. Apparently, they were started from seed that came from Thailand, according to the owner.  Her large Tamarind is also fine.. though at 15 yrs old,  she told me it hasn't flowered yet.. Kind of perplexed on that.  Ficus benjamina in her yard and  some others another block over are fine. 

Fruit trees in our corner neighbors' yard look fine, some burn on a couple Guavas with more overhead exposure. Mangoes, Longan / Litchi look good..  Lantana in the front got burned.. Will have to look over their Plumeria there again..  Fully exposed, weren't covered / wrapped through the cold. 

Somehow reached 76F Friday afternoon and tip burn on the Torch Glows out front and across the street became more obvious. Will be fine. Some bronze on the Guaiacum coulteri i'd planted out there but fine otherwise.. though odd since my largest 2 i have out back, in pots, in less sun / no overhead cover right now have no post -cold color on the foliage.  Everything else kept out through this event is fine. 

@Josue Diaz In anticipation of forecast upper 60s- low (..maybe mid, seem to get warmer than surrounding areas of Chandler) 70s by Tuesday on forward, bumped my Kopsia arborea into bigger pots.

While cleaning up in the shade house, and around the yard, noticed buds starting to appear on Mammillaria senilis, and Aloe longistyla.. and the wildflowers i tossed around out front in October, sure signs spring, at least here, isn't far off.. Both the Aloe and Mammillaria sp are supposedly hard to grow here but i've had no issues w/ either.. Will be separating many offsets off the Mammillaria actually, for a *slow* grower, it's filled it's pot a lot faster than i'd expected.. I don't do anything special to it, ..almost completely ignore the Aloe. 

Hopefully that's it for any more extended cold, have a plant delivery for a job coming tomorrow.. Rain is welcome however.

Very cool, hope to keep exchanging cultivation notes on kopsia. Mine has been hanging out in the greenhouse all winter. And i agree, the are signs of spring here also. CA poppies and ceanothus are all about to burst into bloom. The local lupinus albifrons are in full bloom right now also. 

• Upvote 2

@Josue Diaz, Definitely, the Kopsia bolted over the summer and i'd been holding out on bumping them until later, but after looking over everything ..else.. that i'll have to re pot / step up later on, i figured i better get a few things done now..  Already see that i'm gonna have my hands full with the * to do* list this year, esp. if the other plans on the table atm go as planned. Plus, the pot on the somewhat smaller one was starting to break down. They seem to be pretty resilient compared to other stuff so i figure they'd be fine getting a head start on the season.  How are your Guaiacum seedlings doing?

Interesting that L. albifrons is in bloom so early out your way. I'd start seeing flowers on the local sub species around south San Jose around mid April. Coyote Ceanothus, an endangered sp. that grows only near Anderson Reservoir in Morgan Hill  were usually the first native things i'd see flowering, roughly about now, when hiking around / on a bike ride to the Dam. When they were in flower, i knew the local population of White Fritillary, ( Fritillaria liliacea ) another local, and endangered CA. native, and local sub sp. of Padre's Shooting Stars were ready to pop as well. 

Before i forget, @Mulungu, My largest specimen of Erythrina velutina, from the seed you'd shared back in 2013, is still doing well, though not a fan of the heat here in AZ. during the summer. Heat stopped complete formation of what might have been it's first flowers last year.  Approaching 6' in height atm. Would be taller had i not had to trim back when i left FL. Was closer to 9' at that time.  Also left outside, just beyond being completely under the patio through our cold spell w/ no damage.

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Upvote 1