IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Caryota mitis variegated

Cindy Adair

This palm is care free and even shows a variety of colors as it clumps.

DSCN9461.thumb.jpg.aab3a9358d44a56900df4

DSCN9462.thumb.jpg.aa100ad9116cc0acfc543

DSCN9463.thumb.jpg.04933db1adbc1f5b54370

So the two photos with my fingers are in the same light but quite different.

I have heard some say theirs turned all green but so far this one gets more colorful.

DSCN9464.thumb.jpg.c5f66beb1862a171b30d8

Post your please.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 15

Cindy Adair

Beautiful!  Have you experienced any burn on the variegated parts of the palm?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Beautiful!!

I am going to take a closer look to my one next morning - at the moment it is the middle of the night over here.

Best regards -

Lars

Mine did well and had great color but produced very few seedlings that were variegated.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

On 12/20/2018, 9:29:52, joe_OC said:

Beautiful!  Have you experienced any burn on the variegated parts of the palm?

When I first moved it from mostly shade to  sun I did notice the old leaves showed some burn but all the new leaves seem to enjoy the light.

22 hours ago, palmfriend said:

Beautiful!!

I am going to take a closer look to my one next morning - at the moment it is the middle of the night over here.

Best regards -

Lars

I look forward to some photos.

13 hours ago, Neil C said:

I'm not a big fan of Caryota but the variegated ones are stunning!!!

Regards Neil

The C. zebrina and C. ophiopellis are great too, but of course being solitary they die too soon.

I am happy knowing that my C. mitis I am thinking of as self pruning.

13 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

Mine did well and had great color but produced very few seedlings that were variegated.

I will remove the individual trunks that die after seeding and still have the rest to enjoy!

13 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

Sorry to hear this.

Hopefully I will get at least a few eventually as I only see the non variegated one in Puerto Rico and not too many of those.

Cindy Adair

People go bananas for them; I had a 1-gallon plant go for $130 at a PSSC auction.

Dang!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

48 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

People go bananas for them; I had a 1-gallon plant go for $130 at a PSSC auction.

Dang!

Wow! I don’t recall what I paid for my little seedling, but I am sure it was much much less than that!

Still glad the PSSC plant went to someone who really wanted it and hope they are as happy with it as I am with mine.

Cindy Adair

18 minutes ago, Cindy Adair said:

Wow! I don’t recall what I paid for my little seedling, but I am sure it was much much less than that!

Still glad the PSSC plant went to someone who really wanted it and hope they are as happy with it as I am with mine.

Oh, I'm sure it did.

I have one, and I'm gonna plant it when I can make room in the shade.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Cindy,

here is my beauty....unfortunately no variegation, just some lighter sparks.

002.thumb.JPG.98df6d3f31ad1fba7f6551792d

001.thumb.JPG.0b45c2d11829e8922c46ab2e7f

Best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

• Upvote 1

Nice looking variegation on yours Cindy.  They make a nice looking palm.  I have 3 planted around the garden here.  I have grown and sold a lot of them over the years from Jeff Marcus stock.  He claims to get about 10% of the variegated palm seed to actually come up variegated.  I have seen some seedlings loose the variegation as they grow, and when some seem to loose it, the suckers will be variegated.   Here are a few from the garden.

DSCN4915.JPG

DSCN4916.JPG

DSCN4918.JPG

DSCN4919.JPG

DSCN4920.JPG

DSCN4921.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Thank you, for inspiring me, Cindy!  Went out and picked up a variegated mitas from DoomsDave after seeing your post.  Will be putting mine in a more protected location since I don’t have the high humidity and rain you do.

• Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I hope you love yours as much as I do mine Joe OC! Please feel free to post a photo when you have a chance.

Cindy Adair

• 4 years later...

Today from my second floor kitchen window in the mist near dusk. See the big Roystonea borinquena down a hill in the distance.

Still loving this variegated C. mitis.

3E7A8333-BCA1-4CED-A54B-A1E9DE60E03D.thumb.jpeg.9f4d40ca52f214124a01f672d743752e.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

2 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

Today from my second floor kitchen window in the mist near dusk. See the big Roystonea borinquena down a hill in the distance.

3E7A8333-BCA1-4CED-A54B-A1E9DE60E03D.thumb.jpeg.9f4d40ca52f214124a01f672d743752e.jpeg

I’m loving it too!!! 😍

Hey @joe_OC how about an update on yours!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

I’ve seen it in all its glory!

• Upvote 1

I lost a nice variegated R. mitis earlier this year. The spear never opened and the plant collapsed. Total mystery why that happened? It spent most of the year in the sunroom and was putting out shoots at the base.

At least my R. excelsa is doing well!

RhapisVariegated2023.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hillizard said:

I lost a nice variegated R. mitis earlier this year. The spear never opened and the plant collapsed. Total mystery why that happened? It spent most of the year in the sunroom and was putting out shoots at the base.

At least my R. excelsa is doing well!

RhapisVariegated2023.png

So sorry about the loss of your C. mitis but your R. excelsa is lovely!

Cindy Adair

On 5/9/2023 at 2:12 PM, Cindy Adair said:

So sorry about the loss of your C. mitis but your R. excelsa is lovely!

Oops! I meant to write that I'd lost a variegated Caryota mitis! Not trying to add a new species to that genus!🙄

I picked up 5 seeds from under a variegated C. mitis in October of 2021. All 5 sprouted and of those 5 seeds 3 showed variegation when the first leaf opened. One was almost white and died a couple of weeks after opening. The other 2 are still trudging along, this one showing the best pattern. 

C8E89B8C-7CE3-4234-BAD4-39795FCFD488.jpeg

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Palms Brisbane said:

@D. Morrowii lovely. Yes, they all vary in pattern and amount of variegation. This was my best one out of many.

20230506_165328.jpg

Ah that one is a beauty!

36 minutes ago, Palms Brisbane said:

@D. Morrowii lovely. Yes, they all vary in pattern and amount of variegation. This was my best one out of many.

20230506_165328.jpg

Highly sort after !

1 hour ago, KrisKupsch said:

Highly sort after !

Yes, they sell for $$$s within hours. The one in photo is going in my garden :)

I bought a 3 gallon variegated Mitis from Lukas on a whim, because my germinated RPS "variegated" ones all came out completely green.  🤮  The Lukas one stayed variegated until about a 6 foot tall frond came out completely green.  I was really disappointed, as I read (mostly in this thread) that they can revert to green after a while.  It got torched this winter at about 26.5F minimum, and the main trunk died off.  But it's sprouting back from the ground with a hint of variegation:

1218118616_20230516_172656CaryotaMitisvariegated.thumb.jpg.97bf08a87b19ec7a1d498fc0a0a10a06.jpg

• Like 1

Hopefully the pups revert back on that guy @Merlyn! I’ll be bummed if mine loose their variegation but a mitis is a nice palm anyway at least.