IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Becarriopheonix alfredii Jacksonville florida

Insomniac411

Just wanted to show off my favorite tree at Christmas time. This B.Alfredii has made it through a cold last year down to upper 20"s. This year the coldest we have seen was low 30's. Hoping we have a warm winter. 

20181219_161054.jpg

• Upvote 26

@Insomniac411 Nice palm!  I put a small one in the back under some canopy.  We'll see how they hold up here. Over the next couple of years.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

That's big!

Insomniac411, in the time that you have owned this palm, have the leaves ever browned during cold snaps?  We had those two back-to-back cold snaps in January 2018.  Surely those did some damage to this palm (?)

8 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

@Insomniac411 Nice palm!  I put a small one in the back under some canopy.  We'll see how they hold up here. Over the next couple of years.

You might want to reconsider using canopy for BAs. Growth rate goes way down, maybe just 25% of a full sun BA.

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

3 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

You might want to reconsider using canopy for BAs. Growth rate goes way down, maybe just 25% of a full sun BA.

I considered putting it in the open, but most of the spots I have in the open are in the front where I tend to get a lot of frost.  In the end, I decided a high canopy that was open to the south was the best fit available.  Amazing the compromises you'll make on a suburban lot.  I'll likely look like Rip Van Winkle by the time my palm looks like Insomniac411's, but those are the breaks.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I finally bit the bullet in acquiring some of these for our property (Dade City, FL) this year.  Two of the nine larger specimens (3'-4'H) are planted in full sun, facing south near our fish houses (warmest part of property), with the other seven in full sun in an open area between driveway and home.  Another nine, small specimens (1'-2'H) are taking a chance in a wide open (but higher elevation) part of the property.  So far this year we've had several frosty mornings and all (except the two next to fish houses) have seen some frost, but they look no different than the day I planted them....well, they have more fronds now. 

• Upvote 4

Are the landscape lights for looks or for heat? Or both? 

Amazing palm. Gives me a little hope mine can make it with heroic protection measures.

Mine is looking good in St. Augustine too.  Not quite as big as that one. I have one under oak canopy and one in full sun.   I agree they do much better in full sun and I have had no damage from frost the past three winters.

Lou St. Aug, FL

Gives those of us in N. Florida hope!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

On 12/20/2018, 1:27:44, Tropicdoc said:

Amazing palm. Gives me a little hope mine can make it with heroic protection measures.

Chad, If you look closely, you’ll see the small solar panel on the light. That said, it would be LED and only produce a minuscule amount of heat, almost none. 

Edited by Jim in Los Altos

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

On 12/20/2018, 10:01:51, FishEyeAquaculture said:

I finally bit the bullet in acquiring some of these for our property (Dade City, FL) this year.  Two of the nine larger specimens (3'-4'H) are planted in full sun, facing south near our fish houses (warmest part of property), with the other seven in full sun in an open area between driveway and home.  Another nine, small specimens (1'-2'H) are taking a chance in a wide open (but higher elevation) part of the property.  So far this year we've had several frosty mornings and all (except the two next to fish houses) have seen some frost, but they look no different than the day I planted them....well, they have more fronds now. 

I’ll be interested to know how they do up there, be sure to keep us posted.

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

The ideal for growing these under canopy in 9a would be to have maximum sun exposure in the growing season.  that would include canopy to the south, open to the north as the sun exposure in summer dictates.  It might not be quite as cold tolerant an arrangement to advective events, but the growth will probably be a lot better and it would be protected from frost.  In my experience, these trees present as larger, thicker crown, and more upright with 2x as many leaves in the sun.  In shade they are thinner and grow a lot slower.  I have 3 from 2011(3 gal) they were in shade to full sun.   I cut out the oak canopy on two in part shade and shade after watching the difference for 5 years.  the sun grown one doubled the other two in overall size in 5 years.  In 10 years it would have even been a bigger difference.  The shade grown one presented a notably bigger flush of leaves this year compared to previous years.  

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2018, 1:50:15, Sandy Loam said:

That's big!

Insomniac411, in the time that you have owned this palm, have the leaves ever browned during cold snaps?  We had those two back-to-back cold snaps in January 2018.  Surely those did some damage to this palm (?)

Yes last year I wrapped the based during the cold snaps which in the 5 yrs I've been here did the most damage to my plants. The odd thing was while some of my fronds burned, two other members here in close proximity had no burn whatsoever.  This year I'm not going to wrap and see how it fared.  By the way, I trimmed off all the brown, and the rest of the fronds survived nice and green.  There are still some of those fronds on the tree now.

On 12/20/2018, 4:27:44, Tropicdoc said:

Actually I had one under each tree but since I wrapped the Washingtonias with Christmas lights, so I moved the spotlights to the B.alfredii .

On 12/21/2018, 2:48:20, pj_orlando_z9b said:

That's a beauty! How old?

I've had it 3 years now.  Its grown a little but I would say its relatively a slow grower so far (for me).

I first ran across these in August and immediately bought 3x for some large (newly open) spots in my backyard.  At the time I saw some older ones at the nursery, a picture is attached below.  I thought these stayed with mostly vertical fronds like Arenga Pinnata, Attalea Cohune, Raphia Farinifera and Acrocomia Aculeata.  Mine were about 5 to 6 feet tall at the time, and have grown about a foot in overall height since.  They are still opening new full-sized fronds now on NYE, despite temperatures with lows around 40F and highs varying from 60-80F.  So far I'm really happy with these, and glad I bought 2 more in September from the same nursery.  My only regret is planting two of them only 10 feet apart, given that their mature diameter is more like 40 feet!!!  :o:o:o 

beccariophoenix alfredii mbpalms 2018.jpg

• Upvote 3

The 5 in the picture are MB'S "seeding planting," or so I assume.  I think he said they'd been in the ground there for ~6 years and were already decent sized palms at the time.  But I might be mistaken.  I ended up buying at $60 each, which was a great price for beautiful 5-6' OA palms. He's since sold or stepped all of the rest up into 30G-45G pots and B&B at significantly higher prices and of course taller height overall.  The last time I stopped by (early December) he still had a few B&B that looked like they were 6-8' overall height.

Edited by Merlyn2220
clarification of age of planting

On 12/31/2018, 7:23:44, Merlyn2220 said:

I first ran across these in August and immediately bought 3x for some large (newly open) spots in my backyard.  At the time I saw some older ones at the nursery, a picture is attached below.  I thought these stayed with mostly vertical fronds like Arenga Pinnata, Attalea Cohune, Raphia Farinifera and Acrocomia Aculeata.  Mine were about 5 to 6 feet tall at the time, and have grown about a foot in overall height since.  They are still opening new full-sized fronds now on NYE, despite temperatures with lows around 40F and highs varying from 60-80F.  So far I'm really happy with these, and glad I bought 2 more in September from the same nursery.  My only regret is planting two of them only 10 feet apart, given that their mature diameter is more like 40 feet!!!  :o:o:o 

On 12/21/2018, 2:48:20, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Those babies are awsome. I agree spacing is an issue. I would hate to try moving and losing one.  I know another person that bought 3 from MB and they are fantastic.  

• Upvote 1

On 31/12/2018 22:23:44, Merlyn2220 said:

My only regret is planting two of them only 10 feet apart, given that their mature diameter is more like 40 feet!!!  :o:o:o 

In nature they sometimes are very close together. https://goo.gl/images/k7z3S8

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Just got back from a trip to the Keys. First dont even want to start with how jealous I am of their plant zone, it was incredible. That being said, on the way back I stopped off at my favorite place Martin Hwy palm city. For those who do not know, this is palm paradise.  Unfortunately I got there late on a Saturday and most places were closed. The first palm place you run into is (closed) I see this huge alfredii through the fence sitting in a 100 gal planter.  Biggest alfredii I've ever seen in person with a $450 price tag. Think I saw another smaller one a little further away. 

20190105_144018.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 12/31/2018, 6:23:44, Merlyn2220 said:

Don’t move them imagine how awesome once they are overhead and close together..... I’m jealous

Yeah, I am torn between the "jungle look" with intertwined monster fronds...and wanting the giant solo one for the impressive focal point.  I have a single solo one that will make a great focal point.  Two I have planted evenly spaced 10 feet on an arc between two 8' OA Pindos.  So on the arc is Pindo - B.A. - B. A. - Pindo.  Given their rate of growth I am sure they'll grow over the Pindos relatively soon, maybe by next fall.  I'll probably leave those in place for the "jungle" look.

My biggest concern was on seeing the mature size of the palms in the below thread.  I planted two of them 10' from the house.  This might have been a tactical error... :D