IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Madagascar experts, what are these

Stevetoad

My assumption is that they are beccariophoenix alfredii. But I don’t know how low they grow. I saw something about growing at 3000ft and these are at 800 ft. If the google earth measure tool is accurate some of these are about 40feet wide. 

9A14A8F6-8378-4F7B-AFA7-474C8BA474E8.png

6764C04D-F87F-4937-A57A-E7242E3FFB6C.png

• Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Not a Madagascar expert, or anything close, but playing along... If your location marker is correct, this spot is too far north and west for Beccariophoenix alfredii only known location. And by quite aways. My guess would be Dypsis decipiens as that species can be found NW of Tana. But those do look too big for DD of scale is correct. Maybe new location find for Alfredii? :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

1 hour ago, LJG said:

Not a Madagascar expert, or anything close, but playing along... If your location marker is correct, this spot is too far north and west for Beccariophoenix alfredii only known location. And by quite aways. My guess would be Dypsis decipiens as that species can be found NW of Tana. But those do look too big for DD of scale is correct. Maybe new location find for Alfredii? :)

Thanks for your input Len. The location is correct. I was trying to find bizzys when I saw these. Whatever they are they’re huge. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Quick. Send a search party. Agree not the type locality for B alfredii but conditions look similar but lower altitude. A creek line loaded with palms and surrounded by arid conditions. New species??? Maybe. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

1 hour ago, LJG said:

Thanks for your input Len. The location is correct. I was trying to find bizzys when I saw these. Whatever they are they’re huge. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Due to the concentration of palms and that they are grouped along a water course, i would say Ravenea rivularis. D. Decipians are not that concentrated. 

• Upvote 1

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

9 minutes ago, Gtlevine said:

Due to the concentration of palms and that they are grouped along a water course, i would say Ravenea rivularis. D. Decipians are not that concentrated. 

They definitely could be.  The color and the amount of leaves fit with R. Rivularis. The size that the measure tool is probably basing of ground level. So a tall palm could measure bigger than it is. I measured one at 63 feet wide. I really doubt that’s accurate. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

22 minutes ago, Stevetoad said:

They definitely could be.  The color and the amount of leaves fit with R. Rivularis. The size that the measure tool is probably basing of ground level. So a tall palm could measure bigger than it is. I measured one at 63 feet wide. I really doubt that’s accurate. 

Ravenea rivularis is not in the area either. it is a more southern palm. So unless cultivated, it wouldn't be a natural location according to POM. 

Gary, I have seen DD in some very large concentrations. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

3 minutes ago, LJG said:

Ravenea rivularis is not in the area either. it is a more southern palm. So unless cultivated, it wouldn't be a natural location according to POM. 

Gary, I have seen DD in some very large concentrations. 

If you go to this location there is nothing man made for a very very long way. Good to know that RR doesn’t exist here. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

If it’s a new species go ahead and name if after me. I think everyone would like a palm with the word Hornii in it. 

• Upvote 2

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Dang that’s funny. My wife’s just shaking her head. She doesn’t get guy humor. 

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Altitude is right for Ravenea rivularis. It's too low for Dypsis decipiens. Further north though than known Ravenea rivularis. It will be a good thing if it is R rivularis as they are a threatened species.

Only one way to find out for sure. Send someone out there. Any takers?

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Everything in that picture looks like rivularis, but Len is right in that most rivularis ive seen were from Isialo. But this is madagascar, that location is not that far north that a colony could not be there undiscovered.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

17 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

Altitude is right for Ravenea rivularis. It's too low for Dypsis decipiens. Further north though than known Ravenea rivularis. It will be a good thing if it is R rivularis as they are a threatened species.

Good point on altitude for DD. 

Steve, did you find the Bizzies? Easiest place to see them is look up Isalo NP, find RN 7 and head west on it and it is just west of Isalo. Hundreds can be seen from road looking N  

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

30 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

No. I gave up after discovering beccariophoenix Hornii. 

• Upvote 4

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

2 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Send someone out there. Any takers?

I agree!   The only true solution is an expedition!  Maybe I should start a go fund me page for Dypsis "stevetoad aka hornii" discovery!  :floor:

• Upvote 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

• 2 years later...

I was in that area in September. There is a surprising number of palms there, a lot of green Bismarckia, really huge swathes of raphia, especially in the bottoms of gullies. I saw a lot of what seemed to be (from the car window) Dypsis madagascariensis. I made notes on my phone as we drove and I noted a lot of green fan palms in a number of gully bottoms. I assume that JD and others have been along that road and that they would have noticed anything extraordinary so I just wrote them off as Bismarckia but with a note to look more closely on another day. 

• Like 3

Fort Dauphin (Tôlagnaro) 614 Madagascar 

(-25.0348100, 46.9904505)

www.dadamanga.mg www.filana.org