IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal minor in habitat

NC_Palms

Today I decided to take a trip to Craven County, NC to view Sabal minor in habitat. It grows abundantly here on wet sites. 

fullsizeoutput_11a6.thumb.jpeg.fe4cd15b1

IMG_1033.thumb.JPG.e3cd40f07f477cb92118a IMG_1031.thumb.JPG.8d6395411686ab139588d

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

• 5 months later...

Wow looks like the only thing growing there and to see such wet conditions is strange for palms I would think

• Like 1

T J 

Sabals minor & palmetto do quite well in wetlands. Tough palms

• Like 4

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 1 month later...

Most of the Sabal minor I have come across were growing in wetlands or in deep, moist deciduous woods that flood annually in late winter. I have seen only a few growing in dry pine flatwoods. 

• Like 1

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

2 hours ago, NC_Palms said:

Most of the Sabal minor I have come across were growing in wetlands or in deep, moist deciduous woods that flood annually in late winter. I have seen only a few growing in dry pine flatwoods. 

So could you say you cant overwater a sabal ? Especially S.Minor varieties 

T J 

2 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

So could you say you cant overwater a sabal ? Especially S.Minor varieties 

Not sure. I would imagine that you could overwater a S. minor, especially one that is in a pot. 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

16 minutes ago, NC_Palms said:

Not sure. I would imagine that you could overwater a S. minor, especially one that is in a pot. 

I believe they grow in wetlands that are intermittently dry. Flood areas, brackish water tides, etc. as long as it didn’t sit in standing water indefinitely, in theory it would be fine. 

1 hour ago, Ryagra said:

I believe they grow in wetlands that are intermittently dry. Flood areas, brackish water tides, etc. as long as it didn’t sit in standing water indefinitely, in theory it would be fine. 

Not sure if I ever saw S. minor growing in indefinitely standing water but I have seen them grow in extremely soggy/soaked soil. The soil in these wetlands acts a lot like quicksand. Trust me, I've fallen into it way too many times lol! 

• Like 1

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

9 minutes ago, NC_Palms said:

Not sure if I ever saw S. minor growing in indefinitely standing water but I have seen them grow in extremely soggy/soaked soil. The soil in these wetlands acts a lot like quicksand. Trust me, I've fallen into it way too many times lol! 

They may or may not. That’s just the best of my knowledge. By no means an expert as I live nowhere near ther native range haha. I bet that was quite the interesting experience! 

• 1 year later...
On 12/13/2018 at 7:11 PM, NC_Palms said:

Today I decided to take a trip to Craven County, NC to view Sabal minor in habitat. It grows abundantly here on wet sites. 

fullsizeoutput_11a6.thumb.jpeg.fe4cd15b1

IMG_1033.thumb.JPG.e3cd40f07f477cb92118a IMG_1031.thumb.JPG.8d6395411686ab139588d

Love the pictures, thanks for sharing! Where exactly in Craven Co. are these Sabal minor? Croatan National Forest? I ask because I may be traveling there soon. Thanks!

PalmsUSA