IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Small Bismarkia, S. riverside, S. causiarum

Alicehunter2000

Just some pics from this morning....supposed to get 37 tonight....I'm ok with that as long as no freeze.

20181211_073222.jpg

• Upvote 2

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

2018-12-11 07.34.32.jpg

• Upvote 2

20181211_073246.jpg

• Upvote 7

No wonder you're looking at smaller palms you have some giants there :)

causiarum is on my list, hoping to pick up a few 15g on my way back from the Stuart FL area after the new year. Thinking they are going to be my pool side palms. 

• Upvote 1

This is my biggest causiarum 3yrs in ground from one strap 20181211_185201.thumb.jpg.281750028c41daleaf ...it saw 20f with no problems..riversides still in pots...lost about 10 bismarckias in past five years ...give up on them...

Edited by akaranus
  • Upvote 1

www.mediterraneannature.com

4 hours ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

2018-12-11 07.34.32.jpg

David, how old is your S. riverside?  Mine was growing pretty fast until I put it in the ground where it has stalled.  I assume that your causiarum is a bit faster?  They look great!

Jon

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, akaranus said:

This is my biggest causiarum 3yrs in ground from one strap 20181211_185201.thumb.jpg.281750028c41daleaf ...it saw 20f with no problems..riversides still in pots...lost about 10 bismarckias in past five years ...give up on them...

What's you climate like. These guys like HEAT and lots of it. 

Hi Rj..its solid 9a mediterrannean zone..Split Croatia..near sea.. summers very hot days between 30-40 degrees celsius..winters rainy average 10 celsius..absolute minus 3 for few nights every winter..and minus 5 every 5-10 winters...

www.mediterraneannature.com

The Riverside has grown faster for me than causiarum, maritima, and bermundana. It's probably 3-4 years old from a strap leaf seedling?

I am too cold for Queens here but warm enough for colder hardy Bizmarkia to survive ....weird huh!

• Upvote 1

Hi David,

You mean you can't grow syagrus but you can grow bismarkia?

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

7 hours ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

I am too cold for Queens here but warm enough for colder hardy Bizmarkia to survive ....weird huh!

When I first started growing palms in 2003, I was looking through a book and saw a bismarckia.  At the time, they were regarded as a zone 10a palm in the best case.  As time has passed, we now know that there are strains of this plant that sail through mid and low 20s.  I bought a bismarckia at a plant sale a few years back after watching one recover from Jan. 2010 in a wide open spot known for swirling wind in the winter.  The spot I had open for it was at the corner of one of my planting beds, which is unfortunately not very well shielded from wind and currently has no overhead canopy.  I wondered if it would get killed by cold on that side, but it has proven fast growing and able to overcome the fungal problems that accompany freezes with rain water in the crown.

All of your plants look wonderful!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Thanks...yeah ...I have found the same thing. Queens here are just weak palms in general. Don't know if it's the almost pure sand nematodes or something else but queens almost never look that great...yellowing leaves unless heavily fertilized and watered. 

Bismarkia thrives here. We have the heat and soil drainage they love. They don't appear to need supplemental care. Some strains are wimps and die when it drops to the low 20's. Some strains can take 20 and have some leaf burn....but come roaring back with the heat. 

Unfortunately my big Bizzy in the front of my house or the one I pictured are as cold hardy as I would like. The Bismarkia I have at my office and gave to my neighbors are solid....especially my office one...that thing has been through a lot.....including Cat.4 hurricane!

Here's my big one at the house this morning .... 37F. .... it looks like it has chill bumps. If it looks like it's going to drop much below freezing I got a 25' x 25' frost cloth this year. Last year the leaves all got burnt  from a brief stint at 20-22?

20181212_074342.jpg

• Upvote 10

Just now, Alicehunter2000 said:

The Riverside has grown faster for me than causiarum, maritima, and bermundana. It's probably 3-4 years old from a strap leaf seedling?

Good to hear - their speed (for a Sabal) is what I was hoping for.  Mine was planted out as a 2 year old 5-strap-leaf seedling last year.  It was roughly the same size as a 6 year old Sabal guatemalensis that I planted at the same time, but the riverside has had 2 spear pull events (one in March, another in early October).  Meanwhile the guatemalensis has taken off and is roughly 3 feet tall now.  Your bizzy looks great - couldn't tell it had any leaf damage.  I guess the wet cold makes a big difference with the queens more so than the bizzys.

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

5 hours ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

Here's my big one at the house this morning .... 37F. .... it looks like it has chill bumps. If it looks like it's going to drop much below freezing I got a 25' x 25' frost cloth this year. Last year the leaves all got burnt  from a brief stint at 20-22?

20181212_074342.jpg

Waooh! That's a beauty. Bravo ;)

• Upvote 1

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

It's actually more silver than the morning sun is showing. Silver palms are always best viewed on an overcast day.