IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

coconuts north of clearwater.

Mr.SamuraiSword

Dunedin's climate is still fairly good, lower end 10a I think. Here are a few more coconuts nearby:

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.0664306,-82.7833028,3a,37.5y,12.27h,90.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfd0JaEL__lqFnPyAC1jPEA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There could be a few more here and there into Tarpon Springs too.

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Heres one near the AMC Veterans on Anderson Road & Veterans Expressway between Linebaugh and Waters Ave in Tampa/Westchase 

20181116_185238.jpg

• Upvote 4

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

this ones in Dunedin near downtown on Main St

20180616_193802e.jpg

• Upvote 2

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

Citrus Park/Keystone Near Gunn Hwy and S. Mobley Road

20180802_073527.jpg

• Upvote 2

This one is dead, It was in Land O Lakes (Pasco County) just east of US 41 on SR 54 

20180514_130707e.jpg

• Upvote 1

It is pretty amazing to me the very narrow gradient where coconuts just stop/wont/refuse to grow / survive, and, where they flourish here.     Most of those look like crap at best.    Then you have some not too much further south (Gandy Blvd right on Tampa Bay) that were planted im guessing several years back when a business opened there, and they are doing excellent.  There are also great looking and taller ones as far north as  almost clearwater along the coast.  I have  not seen a lot of fruiting going on up there yet though, but there are some fruit on the ones at Gandy Blvd.  There are some in St. Petersburg and surrounds as well, and some do get fairly tall and fruit here and look great. I live about as far south in Pinellas County (Technically within St. Petersburg City Limit) as you can go and not be on an island, and they absolutely FLOURISH here, as if it were Miami.  There are areas down here where there are old, tall to very tall Coconuts that produce seed just as they do in any other pure tropical climate here.  Im about 23 miles or so south of Dunedin.  It is worth noting that I do live on the water and that is where you see the majority of them, especially the large ones.  There are tall fruiting ones in inland areas of Pinellas/ St. Pete that look great too don't get me wrong, just not nearly as many, and not quite as large / spectacular.    The one in the photo below is right at the end of the condo complex I live in. There are quite a few down here, and most are around this size, and they are glorious to see.  To me, St. Pete is basically the northern limit of their range where they will not only grow, but look  good to excellent / perfect.  This one is a prime example of what we can grow here in southern Pinellas / St. Pete, especially on the water.  This one is old, and rather tall, usually loaded with fruit and looks gorgeous!. 

SeapointeCoCo.jpg

• Upvote 6

@Chatta @RedRabbit Just out of curiosity, either of you know what palms were planted in the recently opened Epperson Lagoon project up in Wesley Chapel? There's a image online ( looks real, but can't imagine it is..) containing some newly installed Queens and a Coconut in the shot. 

Having some familiarity with that side of town, i myself don't recall ever seeing Coconuts up there. Not sure i recall any Royals either.

Same company that designed this development is supposedly looking to do something similar somewhere near Orlando next, if i read correctly.

Regardless, thought i'd pass it along..

50 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

@Chatta @RedRabbit Just out of curiosity, either of you know what palms were planted in the recently opened Epperson Lagoon project up in Wesley Chapel? There's a image online ( looks real, but can't imagine it is..) containing some newly installed Queens and a Coconut in the shot. 

Having some familiarity with that side of town, i myself don't recall ever seeing Coconuts up there. Not sure i recall any Royals either.

Same company that designed this development is supposedly looking to do something similar somewhere near Orlando next, if i read correctly.

Regardless, thought i'd pass it along..

Those pictures were taken in 2017, but I found a video from 2018 and it looks like they replaced all the coconuts with Livistona decora. Tampa got a freeze last winter, so they probably pulled them out pretty quickly after they planted them. 

• Upvote 3

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

1 minute ago, Zeeth said:

Those pictures were taken in 2017, but I found a video from 2018 and it looks like they replaced all the coconuts with Livistona decora. Tampa got a freeze last winter, so they probably pulled them out pretty quickly after they planted them. 

:greenthumb:Good to know..  Saw mostly Sabal, Queens and Phoenix in some of the videos taken from there also.  I'd think they'd know Coconuts would be a no-go that far north from the start..

Looks like the parent company has potential projects lined up across both Florida and the rest of the country also. 

14 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

:greenthumb:Good to know..  Saw mostly Sabal, Queens and Phoenix in some of the videos taken from there also.  I'd think they'd know Coconuts would be a no-go that far north from the start..

Looks like the parent company has potential projects lined up across both Florida and the rest of the country also. 

Maybe someone should convince them to plant Beccariophoenix alfredii instead of coconuts ;)

• Upvote 2

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Just now, Zeeth said:

Maybe someone should convince them to plant Beccariophoenix alfredii instead of coconuts ;)

Ya think, lol  Imagine those profits, as a grower:drool: 

Could get interesting if any of the suggested projects listed on the company's page here in AZ, for the Las Vegas area, and / or Inland / Desert areas of CA are developed..  

2 hours ago, Zeeth said:

Good suggestion, but I'm not so sure they'd make it there but it is worth a shot! :greenthumb:

Chatta,

The Coconut Palm in the last photo you posted that you think is dead, may still be alive.  The lower leaflets of one of the leaves are still green.  Judging by the width of the trunk, I think it may be a Jamaican Tall, and if so, will likely survive and recover within about 4 to 6 months.  There used to be a mature Coconut Palm (I think it was a Green Malayan Dwarf) that had about 10ft. of trunk and a few small nuts on it that was on the south side of a 2 story house that backed up to bay along Ocean Dr. here in Corpus Christi, that I was told by the man who used to be in charge of grounds keeping at the Texas A&M CC campus here that it was defoliated in the 2011 freeze but recovered.  He was familiar with the palm and remembered when the homeowner planted it (It is just down the street from the university).  It was the only survivor from the 2011 freeze and was planted in a perfect microclimate on the south side of the 2 story house, right up by the font patio, and with the deep and relatively wide Corpus Christi Bay right behind the house to the north.  Unfortunately, I don't think it received enough water during the ensuing worst drought in Texas' history, and thus was drought injured, then the homeowner had it OVERTRIMMED when they put the house up for sale.  Apparently, still recovering from the 2011 freeze (but looked pretty good with some small nuts on it), then getting hit by the worst multi year drought in Texas' history, then being WAY OVERTRIMMED, was too much for it, and it died shortly after being trimmed.  What a shame, as it looked pretty good a few years ago.  Now, as far as I know, my inground Green Malayan Dwarf is the biggest Coconut Palm in Corpus Christi.  Mine is about 13 ft. tall in overall height with a good 20" + of woody trunk at the base, but no nuts or inflorescence yet.  It has now been in the ground for 2.5 years, and has made it through 8 freezes over the last 2 winters (normally my place wouldn't get below about 32F or 33F on the coldest morning of the winter, but last winter was a bad one with 6 freezes, and 2 freezes the winter before) with minimal protection from a small string of incandescent Christmas lights and a blanket wrapped around the trunk on those freezing nights.   All of mine, including my 4 in pots have made it through a night of 36F and another night of 37F this with very light frost with no protection and no problems other than the typical spotting of the leaves from Potassium deficiency this time of year, that I have been treating them for..

John

Edited by Mr. Coconut Palm
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Chatta,

The Coconut Palm in the last photo you posted that you think is dead, may still be alive.  The lower leaflets of one of the leaves are still green.  Judging by the width of the trunk, I think it may be a Jamaican Tall, and if so, will likely survive and recover within about 4 to 6 months.  There used to be a mature Coconut Palm (I think it was a Green Malayan Dwarf) that had about 10ft. of trunk and a few small nuts on it that was on the south side of a 2 story house that backed up to bay along Ocean Dr. here in Corpus Christi, that I was told by the man who used to be in charge of grounds keeping at the Texas A&M CC campus here that it was defoliated in the 2011 freeze but recovered.  He was familiar with the palm and remembered when the homeowner planted it (It is just down the street from the university).  It was the only survivor from the 2011 freeze and was planted in a perfect microclimate on the south side of the 2 story house, right up by the font patio, and with the deep and relatively wide Corpus Christi Bay right behind the house to the north.  Unfortunately, I don't think it received enough water during the ensuing worst drought in Texas' history, and thus was drought injured, then the homeowner had it OVERTRIMMED when they put the house up for sale.  Apparently, still recovering from the 2011 freeze (but looked pretty good with some small nuts on it), then getting hit by the worst multi year drought in Texas' history, then being WAY OVERTRIMMED, was too much for it, and it died shortly after being trimmed.  What a shame, as it looked pretty good a few years ago.  Now, as far as I know, my inground Green Malayan Dwarf is the biggest Coconut Palm in Corpus Christi.  Mine is about 13 ft. tall in overall height with a good 20" + of woody trunk at the base, but no nuts or inflorescence yet.  It has now been in the ground for 2.5 years, and has made it through 8 freezes over the last 2 winters (normally my place wouldn't get below about 32F or 33F on the coldest morning of the winter, but last winter was a bad one with 6 freezes, and 2 freezes the winter before) with minimal protection from a small string of incandescent Christmas lights and a blanket wrapped around the trunk on those freezing nights.   All of mine, including my 4 in pots have made it through a night of 36F and another night of 37F this with very light frost with no protection and no problems other than the typical spotting of the leaves from Potassium deficiency this time of year, that I have been treating them for..

John

Even protected I'm amazed any coconut can withstand 6 freezes in 1 winter. Awesome! I had one freeze at 28F (with trunk protection) and fought hard to keep it alive. I did learn to spray copper fungicide immediately following a freeze. It's the rot that almost killed it. Please post a pic soon.

• Upvote 1

PJ,

That is the benefit of growing everything ALL ORGANICALLY like I do.  When you go ALL ORGANIC, you can actually strengthen your tropical trees and plants (including Coconut Palms) by about 2F to 3F, which for those of us growing them in marginal areas can make a world of difference in success and failure.  The organic fertilizer I use is MicroLife Ultimate 8-4-6 All Organic Biological Fertilizer.  It has over 70 minerals and micronutrients, and thus covers the full spectrum of any mineral and micronutrients that a plant needs.  It is made by San Jacinto Environmental in Houston.  I also use their Ocean Harvest 4-2-3 as a foliar spray version of their granular slow release fertilizer, and this time of the year, I also use Medina Hasta Gro Lawn 12-4-8 as a foliar spray high in Potassium to help my Coconut Palms get over Potassium deficiency.  It also has a few micronutrients too.  Though this is not 100% organic, it is mostly natural, but I like it for the higher Potassium content to help my cold sensitive palms get over Potassium deficiency in the wintertime.  I also do the MicroLife Ultimate 8-4-6 on a 4 times per year schedule, in Feb., May, Aug., and Nov. This is the first year I have done a 4 times per year granular fertilization schedule (I used to only fertilize spring and fall), and it really seems to help out, especially for my cold sensitive palms.  Some think that you shouldn't fertilize going into winter, because it will encourage sensitive new foliage to grow that could get cold injured, but apparently it actually helps to strengthen up cold sensitive trees and plants to better make it through the winter, and by fertilizing again in Feb., it helps them to recover faster from the winter cold.  I use the MicroLife all organic fertilizer on everything I grow, not just my palms.  I will try to take some pics of my in ground Green Malayan Dwarf on Monday when I get back home from going out of town this weekend.  Tomorrow wouldn't be a good day, since we are having a LOT of wind with the latest cold front that blew through today.  It looks better for pics when the winds are calmer.

John

These are some kinda paralalell to clearwater in Westshore District Tampa by the Howard Frankland Bridge and Reo Street I think

20171227_130116.jpg

20171227_130230.jpg

20171227_130847.jpg

• Upvote 4

20180912_131209.thumb.jpg.3dc69696987195

Heres one on Azele street in Hyde Park, Tampa near the Crosstown

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Chatta said:

These are some kinda paralalell to clearwater in Westshore District Tampa by the Howard Frankland Bridge and Reo Street I think

20171227_130116.jpg

20171227_130230.jpg

20171227_130847.jpg

I’m glad to see these bounced back. They did relatively well in 2010, but they got beat up pretty bad this year. 

8 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

I’m glad to see these bounced back. They did relatively well in 2010, but they got beat up pretty bad this year. 

these are old picks forgot to mention, but they did bounce back really well this year, they look like some of the best this side of the bay i've seen. I'll try to get picks of it soon (so long as we dont get a devestating cold front again haha) The ones in downtown at Franklin Manor look really good now too